**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Soldato
Just like 3rd party launchers apps, there's 3rd party gesture nav replacement apps. I use 'fluid navigation' and it let's me swipe in from the right hand side to go back. I've been using it for a few months now and it's been excellent. No need for root and its full screen.

There's a problem with these kind of app. When you hide the navbar, it pushes the screen down. So stuff like the finger print indicator sits lower than where the sensor is. The lockscreen also jumps when it transitions to the homescreen. These are only visual issues but they still bug me enough not wanting to use them.

Man of Honour
I've never seen that issue before^ Why would using a launcher with hidden navbar etc affect the lockscreen anyway? The lockscreen is the only area where the position indicator of the FP scanner on the S10 is shown as well.

Soldato
On a phone with a big camera bump or one that makes the phone rock on a flat surface, sure. The S10 has a camera bump that suffers none of those issues really.

I'm not even talking about it rocking on a flat surface. I'm talking about the case protecting the edges of the camera bump, and the edge of the screen, and the rear. It's odd how you like more permanent cheap skins but don't mind a silicone case you can quickly remove once you're in the comfort of your living room etc.

Man of Honour
Because cases take away the quality feel of a phone and add bulk, plus traps dust/debris which will require cleaning regularly as well. A drband skin isn't exactly cheap either, they're more expensive than most cases.

Soldato
There's a problem with these kind of app. When you hide the navbar, it pushes the screen down. So stuff like the finger print indicator sits lower than where the sensor is. The lockscreen also jumps when it transitions to the homescreen. These are only visual issues but they still bug me enough not wanting to use them.

I'm on the pixel 3 so don't have that fps issue. And regarding the locks reen issue the paid version has an option to resolve the jump.

Associate
I'm not even talking about it rocking on a flat surface. I'm talking about the case protecting the edges of the camera bump, and the edge of the screen, and the rear. It's odd how you like more permanent cheap skins but don't mind a silicone case you can quickly remove once you're in the comfort of your living room etc.

I used to remove the case occasionally or when going out then I got a Mous case. Takes a lot of pressure to get phone out. Upside is the case is such a snug fit dust doesn't get between case and phone. Downside - I worry about cracking the glass removing it from case.

Soldato
Really wish there was a way to automatically disable VoLTE or prioritise WiFI calling in some way.

My phone loves VoLTE even when the signal is rubbish, which is almost all of the time at home.

There isn't even a VoLTE tile in quick settings :mad: so I have to go into settings to switch it off every time I want to make a long call at home.

Otherwise I have to leave it permanently disabled which isn't exactly what you buy a flagship phone for :mad:

Soldato
It can be done if you add an activity shortcut. I use an app called Tiles. Add an action shortcut (nova launcher supports them to, as do other launchers) find the settings app and inside that find wifi calling. Works fine:)

tph2yoRl.jpg

Sorry boring screenshot but you get the idea

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Somebody with an s10 do me a favour? I've spent the last hour or so working out what the camera on the back is for and what lense does what. The lense that appears to do nothing is far left lenses looking at it from the back. I covered the lenses and set the camera to every option available and as far as I can see it never uses that lense. Anybody clarify that for me?

Mobster
Soldato
Coming back to this phone has been a real pleasure.

It's so weird to think Samsung phones used to be known for lag. This thing is blazing fast and Samsung Internet is actually a legitimately good browser. I even like the built in keyboard!

I honestly think some of the Samsung apps are better than Google's?

Mobster
Soldato
Really wish there was a way to automatically disable VoLTE or prioritise WiFI calling in some way.

My phone loves VoLTE even when the signal is rubbish, which is almost all of the time at home.

There isn't even a VoLTE tile in quick settings :mad: so I have to go into settings to switch it off every time I want to make a long call at home.

Otherwise I have to leave it permanently disabled which isn't exactly what you buy a flagship phone for :mad:

Samsung has chosen to respect the carrier choice, which has recently been switched to mobile signal on nearly every carrier, to match how it works on iOS. There is sadly no way to override this.

What you could do is turn on Airplane Mode and then turn on Wi-Fi. That will certainly force the feature although it's probably not much faster than your existing workaround.

I wish I had better news :(

Soldato
It can be done if you add an action shortcut. I use an app called Tiles. Add an action shortcut (nova launcher supports them to, as do other launchers) find the settings app and inside that find wifi calling. Works fine:)

OK thanks for that :) I've managed to get a tile that takes me to network settings, which has the VoLTE switch in there. It's the closest I think I can get because I can't find an activity for the VoLTE toggle itself. It's not quite what I want but.... on to the next quote....

You can still set wifi-preferred for wifi calling. The setting isn't exposed in the settings app but its still there and it works. That wasn't his issue though..

Yeah, you're right. I just want to tell the phone to favour WiFi calling over VoLTE. But I can't find this setting in the phone menus. The options for VoLTE and wifi calling are just toggle switches. There is no extra functionality exposed.

I'm using Tiles right now to look for extra options exposed by the built-in WiFi calling app. But it just tells me it can't start the activity. Any thoughts?

Samsung has chosen to respect the carrier choice, which has recently been switched to mobile signal on nearly every carrier, to match how it works on iOS. There is sadly no way to override this.

What you could do is turn on Airplane Mode and then turn on Wi-Fi. That will certainly force the feature although it's probably not much faster than your existing workaround.

I wish I had better news :(

I think you're right, but I really don't understand this. Surely if WiFi calling is available, the phone should always use that (if the speed and ping are sufficient)? I have fairly middling 100mb broadband with a decent ping, which will always be better than my 4G signal. I don't see why the networks would think that LTE would be better. Is it something to do with them controlling all ends of the infrastructure?

Back
Top Bottom