Ryzen 3000 upgrade advice

Associate
Ive been holding out for a new cpu, with the ryzen 3600 around the corner ive heard the new X570 boards are going to be pricey!

Ive read the previous X470 are the lower cost alternative and was looking to purchase one ready.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-56z-gi.html

My question is i see the bios needs updating to work with a 3600.

Silly question, but will an older compatible chip need to be in the board first to boot and flash the bios before i can install the new cpu?

Man of Honour
The bios will need updating before it will take one of the new cpu's. I believe that Gigabyte does a bios update service that may be free of charge so if you buy that board you can contact them and have the bios flashed. Not sure on the specifics but I am sure our ever helpful Gigabyte rep @GIGA-Man will tell you how it works.

Associate
Generally yes. Amd previously had a program where you could borrow a chip to upgrade it but no guarantee of that happening.

Board manufacturers will be in the process of new bios releases, so if you waited, a newly made board may come with a bios that is zen 2 ready out of the box.

Associate
OP
As already mentioned, if you want to go X470 then I know for a fact that the msi x470 gaming M7 has a bios flashback feature which allows you to flash the bios with or without a CPU installed, and so does the Asus CH7, not sure about gigabytes offerings.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X470-GAMING-M7-AC
Thanks, i do like the look of the msi board. Im in two minds to wait for the new x570, i dont need pcie 4, but thinking it will futureproof it. Then again what started out as a planned basic upgrade is starting to get more complicated.
Tempted to get a 2600 and the msi board as the prices are low, will be much better than my i5 3500 which is starting to struggle a bit

Associate
Hello all,

The X570 will be more expensive as the additional tech needed for PCIe Gen 4 tech is fairly comprehensive... However PCIe Gen 4 drives are really good but I understand not everyone will be able to shell out the cash. The CPU's are well priced though so the over all pack of new CPU and board is still competitive.

To answer your question though, many of the boards in the market may have older BIOS. If that's the case and you want to run a 300 series CPU it will most likely need an F40 or above BIOS for the majority of models from us. I will help organise this for any one here that has this issue, just get people to tag me.

Soldato
Thanks, i do like the look of the msi board. Im in two minds to wait for the new x570, i dont need pcie 4, but thinking it will futureproof it. Then again what started out as a planned basic upgrade is starting to get more complicated.
Tempted to get a 2600 and the msi board as the prices are low, will be much better than my i5 3500 which is starting to struggle a bit

I love my MSI X470 Gaming M7, but it appears its end of life, I cant find it in stock anywhere, it was actually OC3D who recommended this board over the ASUS CH7, I believe at the last minuite, MSI upgraded the VRM so it wouldnt have a problem running the higher core count 3000 series CPU's.

seek to 12 mins on this review of the CH7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN1mbDUpJDw&t=736s

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom