LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Soldato
OP
With G-Sync and the fact there is no other monitor like it, I can see £2K+ being a possibility, but that will be a hard sell if the 4K 43" 144Hz Acer/Asus monitors come in well under that figure (and they both have VESA 1000/600 HDR). They are VA panels, but I'd question how many prospective buyers of the 38GL950G are really DESPERATE for a colour critical IPS monitor with these gaming features... plus VA does get very close these days (and will have better blacks). Not to mention the low odds bleed/glow lottery you enter into buying any IPS monitor!

I'm on the fence with them all really, eagerly awaiting reviews, but at £2K and no HDR, the LG will be a big fat NO for many I think.

Associate
Just found out that this monitor got G-sync certified by Nvidia. Looks like the monitor is not using the G-SYNC ULTIMATE module.

It says the monitor got G-SYNC, and not G-SYNC Compatible, so I guess that means it is using a G-sync module.
Variable Refresh Rate Range: 1-175Hz
Variable Overdrive: Yes

Source:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

You can also read more about the different categories of G-Sync here:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

Last edited:
Associate
Does that mean there's a new update to the G-SYNC module? Previously it couldn't handle that resolution and refresh rate together, so it has to be different from the one used in the 34GK950G surely?

Soldato
OP
I don't think this will be made for the masses, more like a willy waver halo product.

I'm not entirely sure what they'll have to wave about though. It feels like this is just a bigger version of the 34GK950G, which was OK, but nothing amazing and rather overpriced for what it was. No HDR and the good chance of glow/bleed issues (which I've yet to see an IPS monitor without), and it seems like LG could be waving around an overpriced lemon more than anything else.

Price given as $2000 here... says rolling out next month, but that may just be 27" version...
https://www.morningstar.com/news/pr...ches-worlds-first-ips-1ms-gaming-monitor.html

Soldato
Yup, I was down for this as an upgrade to my xr34 but that was assuming similar launch price, maybe as high as 1200.. I got the xr34 for like 850 quid FOUR years ago, when the ultrawides were brand new to market... so here we are 4 years later and a slight improvement is looking to cost 2-3x? No thanks.

Associate
LG went total cazy with this it seems. Not that fantastic tech they make it sound like, and that price uuh. They should just take AMD who also went fully retard with their upcoming Navi. No ratracing support and about the same prices as nVidia RTX. They better join hands. No sane persson will pay for that crap :/

Soldato
OP
Were it not for relatively affordable 144Hz HDR-1000 4K now very much on the horizon (which will be cheaper than the LG it seems), this would have been a very exciting monitor release... 2 years ago!! Bit late to the party with a HDR-400 monitor circa £2K, unfortunately.

Associate
Were it not for relatively affordable 144Hz HDR-1000 4K now very much on the horizon (which will be cheaper than the LG it seems), this would have been a very exciting monitor release... 2 years ago!! Bit late to the party with a HDR-400 monitor circa £2K, unfortunately.

Yeah it's a big disapointment really, crazy price. But I was thinking about RMA my new 32GK850G for the 27 incher, but no g-sync and also overhyped tech and no deliver, makes me wanna keep my monitor. The only thing I would benefit woul be higher PPI. The rest seems like a downgrade; okey it will be slighlty faster but this VA is good enough. And what fun is to downgrade in size plus most probably get IPS glow and also lower contrast :/
It seems like my GK850G is a keeper for a long time forward!

Associate
Why is there NO company out there to challenge LG in ultrawide? Why does Samsung or Asus or Acer not make a 38GL950G equivalent with HDR1000 and FreeSync 2? It's like LG is putting NO effort whatsoever in their Ultrawide monitors anymore. Shame. If you can't do something right, just sell the freaking IP to someone who can do it and focus on whatever you can do, like phones or TVs.

Caporegime

Must admit I had the LG 38UC99 and tbf it's a really really epic size and form factor. Def gives something extra over a 34in 21:9 and I regret selling it now (for a silly reason!) :(

Soldato
OP
Must admit I had the LG 38UC99 and tbf it's a really really epic size and form factor. Def gives something extra over a 34in 21:9 and I regret selling it now (for a silly reason!) :(

Yeah I've seen one of those... it's a very nice screen and impressive when sat in front of I must admit. It's just the price tag attached to this LG, more so in light of what you'll soon be able to get for less with 43" 4K 144Hz (which will also have that visual wow factor of course). It just feels it's coming too late and at too high a price... but will see what reviews say of course.

Man of Honour
Why is there NO company out there to challenge LG in ultrawide? Why does Samsung or Asus or Acer not make a 38GL950G equivalent with HDR1000 and FreeSync 2? It's like LG is putting NO effort whatsoever in their Ultrawide monitors anymore. Shame. If you can't do something right, just sell the freaking IP to someone who can do it and focus on whatever you can do, like phones or TVs.

Sorry what?! How are LG putting “no effort” in to their screens? That’s nonsense. They are releasing new widescreens in recent times that are different and offer newer features than some other manufacturers. The 34GK950F/G for instance was the first to offer wider gamut for high resfresh rate. It was the first IPS Ultrawide with 3440 x 1440 at 144Hz, it was the first to offer that res IPS panel with a high refresh rate and FreeSync too.

and you’ve said yourself no one else is offering something like this 38GL950G model too? That’s offering something new in terms of res, aspect ratio (a still pretty niche and rare option), gamut and refresh rate.

They are working on a freesync model for later on, but it’s common for leading new gaming tech to be linked with Gsync first

Associate
Sorry what?! How are LG putting “no effort” in to their screens? That’s nonsense. They are releasing new widescreens in recent times that are different and offer newer features than some other manufacturers. The 34GK950F/G for instance was the first to offer wider gamut for high resfresh rate. It was the first IPS Ultrawide with 3440 x 1440 at 144Hz, it was the first to offer that res IPS panel with a high refresh rate and FreeSync too.

and you’ve said yourself no one else is offering something like this 38GL950G model too? That’s offering something new in terms of res, aspect ratio (a still pretty niche and rare option), gamut and refresh rate.

They are working on a freesync model for later on, but it’s common for leading new gaming tech to be linked with Gsync first

Actually most of their first ultrawide monitors have been using FreeSync and when this panel appeared in tft central's database and forum, the article mentioned that it would be unlikely that LG will be able to make this monitor work with HDR1000 and g-sync... Well if g-sync is the problem then why not do it with freesync? Then the database said "HDR600", and now we see the crappiest 400-certification. How did it jump from best to worst?

Associate
I wonder how LG are advertising 1ms response time IPS with no strobing back-light. Here:

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38GL950G-B-gaming-monitor

*UL Evaluated GtoG response time of LG monitor 38GL950G.

Edit found this:

https://www.blurbusters.com/e3-lg-a...ing-monitors-with-ul-tested-1ms-gtg-response/

I wonder if LG did significantly boost IPS response times or if this is just marketing speak. If it is true, this may easily be the best gaming monitor. 3840x1600 37.5" with real G-Sync at 175 Hz is quite epic. I hope they come out with an HDR1000 version. I bet they made it HDR400 because the price was already getting pretty high, especially with that expensive DP 1.4 G-Sync FPGA.

Back
Top Bottom