• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
I am probably wrong here but isn't fast sync nvidias anti lag feature which has been working for a couple of years in Maxwell and later?.

You are correct however I do have a bias (we all do) not against AMD but I am almost a pure single player / PvE coop player so don't really worry about things to give a competitive edge.

BTW again I must be wrong but I thought AMD had stated Navi would support hardware raytracing?

Nothing alike fast sync is like AMDs enhanced sync.

Basically it's a feature to remove screen tearing by allowing the users uncapped frame rate so 60hz you have 100fps it will always display a full frame on screen removing screen tear.

It's just another sync tech.

Caporegime
it is a necessary step in order to get volume going on 7nm products.

The real goal is to get these chips into laptops and set-top boxes at volume then prices will come down

The early chips are always more expensive.

Oh the irony.

Nvidia needs to focus on not ripping off its customer base.

Fine, do a product comparison but Nvidia have as much chance as me upgrading all my 1080/ti based gear for new 2080/ti based hardware as Birmingham City winning the champions league.

Who is Navi aimed at? it is aimed at people like myself who bought a custom 1080ti for £800 and will not pay £1600 for the like for like upgrade. Same for all my other gear, Nvidia have lost their minds.

Don’t mind if the AMD Navi desktop parts are a little hotter, the 2080ti is not exactly fuel efficient.

Navi is a downgrade for you, so that makes no sense what so ever. Pay 500 quid to get worse performance than your 1080ti?

Caporegime
I am probably wrong here but isn't fast sync nvidias anti lag feature which has been working for a couple of years in Maxwell and later?.

You are correct however I do have a bias (we all do) not against AMD but I am almost a pure single player / PvE coop player so don't really worry about things to give a competitive edge.

BTW again I must be wrong but I thought AMD had stated Navi would support hardware raytracing?

Unless AMD provide some actual info on what their anti-lag really is, it does seem to be what Nvidia have offered for years in the drivers,- the ability to reduce frame queue length in order to reduce input lag.

Same goes for the sharpening stuff. From what AMD have released it is just sharpening the image with a standard filter, Nvidia have offered this for neatly 2 years now across all GPUs.

Soldato
you are both missing the important part of making the cips out which is why you both seem to be under the impression its cheaper and easier.
note: my original argument was based on this these quotes which you both now seem to be twisting to suit your angle.
I don't even know what you're on about any more.

Seems to me you've just applied your own context to my massively superficial illustration of a concept to answer another poster's question purely to start a fight. I have never once applied industry or real-world context to my example, never touched the barriers and challenges faced, so pray tell how do you interpret, and by extension have the temerity to even suggest, I am somehow "twisting to suit my angle"? I have no angle, stated repeatedly. What's your angle? Why the continuance? And yet it's me who gets the reprimand for defending myself in the face of your absurdity?

I'm sorry I've upset you so deeply, but please do try to keep your twisted perceptions away from mine.

Man of Honour
Nothing alike fast sync is like AMDs enhanced sync.

Basically it's a feature to remove screen tearing by allowing the users uncapped frame rate so 60hz you have 100fps it will always display a full frame on screen removing screen tear.

It's just another sync tech.

From the limited information it does seem like anti-lag is just fudging the frame queue length - something nVidia has had for ages potentially the AMD offering is better tuned to work dynamically on a per application basis or something versus the fire and forget setting for nVidia but that remains to be seen. AMD had a similar option historically but it never seemed to work quite right and got removed at some point.

Man of Honour
The tariffs are only on select products like steel, weapons, TVs. I do;t believe GPUs are covered, but either-way it makes no difference because nvidia GPus would have the same 25% tariffs applied if they existed.

The tariff list covers a lot of computer parts, including motherboards, graphics cards, CPU coolers and even desktop cases. TVs, digital cameras and internet modems have also been ensnared as well. However, smartphones and fully assembled PCs have been spared.

Soldato
Having not really read through much of the thread, is this worth an upgrade over a 980ti?

Cheers
Personally I look to get a 100% increase in performance when I upgrade, and as such I would probably hold on to your 980ti a bit longer of you can (I think the only card that can 100% improve your 980ti is maybe a 2080ti and even that may be close. Nothing I have seen from AMD qualifies by that metric afaik. That said worth is subjective and some people upgrade even for a 20% improvement

Caporegime
The tariff list covers a lot of computer parts, including motherboards, graphics cards, CPU coolers and even desktop cases. TVs, digital cameras and internet modems have also been ensnared as well. However, smartphones and fully assembled PCs have been spared.

Thanks, I did not know that.

In which case Nvidia gets the same 25% tariff. Anyone thinking navi will magically be cheaper is in Europe is still deluded, especially since stock is sold form the US, not china.

Moreover, the 25% is on the unit prices, not the RRP.

Soldato
From the limited information it does seem like anti-lag is just fudging the frame queue length - something nVidia has had for ages potentially the AMD offering is better tuned to work dynamically on a per application basis or something versus the fire and forget setting for nVidia but that remains to be seen. AMD had a similar option historically but it never seemed to work quite right and got removed at some point.

Yeah seen a few people mention this now, we just after wait till July 7th to see what is really going on when this gets tested. The issue with Pre- Renders frame being set to low was you take input lag vs frame rate smoothness games became less smooth. What AMD as done you would think limited that in some way? who knows, either way, its a feature I would defo use and it seems to be coming to VEGA also.

Soldato
Unless AMD provide some actual info on what their anti-lag really is, it does seem to be what Nvidia have offered for years in the drivers,- the ability to reduce frame queue length in order to reduce input lag.

Same goes for the sharpening stuff. From what AMD have released it is just sharpening the image with a standard filter, Nvidia have offered this for neatly 2 years now across all GPUs.

Not sure how it works but based on this write up it would seem they is more to it than a basic filter.

Known as Radeon Image Sharpening, AMD’s solution is an intelligent sharpening technology that provides a lift in the visual quality of a game without a dip in performance. The effect takes a look at the high contrast parts of any given scene in a game and artificially draws out more detail. AMD says this sharpening of textures makes 1080p look close to 1440p when upscaled on a higher resolution monitor.

AMD showed a screenshot from a game and highlighted how Radeon Image Sharpening pulled out crisper details in the shadowy rocks from the darker aspects of an image without interrupting any anti-aliasing softening happening near the light source.

Unlike DLSS, which must be implemented on a game-by-game basis, Radeon Image Sharpening is a simple switch. According to AMD, it just works.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-radeon-image-sharpening-dlss-ray-tracing-e3-2019/

Man of Honour
In which case Nvidia gets the same 25% tariff. Anyone thinking navi will magically be cheaper is in Europe is still deluded, especially since stock is sold form the US, not china.

Yes it will affect Nvidia cards as well, but it doesn't affect anything thats already on container ships at sea en-route to the US, so Nvidia and AMD both may have a small window in which to not be impacted. However going forward it could see prices in the US increase substantially, and prices here actually be less than US prices for a change. All this may not last long however, depends how long this trade war goes on.

Soldato

If this is gonna be a long term thing surely it will make sense to change supply routes then and ship stock to EU from a non US location?.

Associate
I don't even know what you're on about any more.

Seems to me you've just applied your own context to my massively superficial illustration of a concept to answer another poster's question purely to start a fight. I have never once applied industry or real-world context to my example, never touched the barriers and challenges faced, so pray tell how do you interpret, and by extension have the temerity to even suggest, I am somehow "twisting to suit my angle"? I have no angle, stated repeatedly. What's your angle? Why the continuance? And yet it's me who gets the reprimand for defending myself in the face of your absurdity?

I'm sorry I've upset you so deeply, but please do try to keep your twisted perceptions away from mine.
stooping to calling people names is your way of defending yourself, i think thats why you got reprimanded. i was simply pointing out that you are wrong and still are even in your imaginary scenario. if you don't understand it then thats your problem not mine. enjoy the rest of your day :)

Caporegime
If this is gonna be a long term thing surely it will make sense to change supply routes then and ship stock to EU from a non US location?.

I would imagine so so I am not really sure what the deal is. I believe Gibbo said he gets all the GPU stock straight from the US.

the other issue is if the GPUs enter say the Canadian market without the 25% market then there will be a lot of trade over the border. This goes of all goods of course and is just another reason Trumps trade war is an abject failure that only hurts US citizens.

Back
Top Bottom