*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Caporegime
Painful pain. :D Pain that's telling me to stop, hehe.

It's definitely not something I can train through like a bit of stiffness or a mild to moderate twinge. Yesterday was the turning point; I had to concede that it needs proper rest - training just seems to aggravate it.

I shall still go to the gym this week but it will be for stretching and lower body training.

As I say, depends entirely on what's wrong, what movements actually aggravate it and what stretches/mobility actually improve it

Caporegime
As I say, depends entirely on what's wrong, what movements actually aggravate it and what stretches/mobility actually improve it

Well, being a shoulder injury (most likely front/side deltoid), most chest/shoulder exercises are out. And, of course, there are instances when training other upper body parts where I can still feel it but to a lesser degree. Rest and stretching should do the trick (it bloody better do :D).

Man of Honour
Well, being a shoulder injury (most likely front/side deltoid), most chest/shoulder exercises are out. And, of course, there are instances when training other upper body parts where I can still feel it but to a lesser degree. Rest and stretching should do the trick (it bloody better do :D).

To be fair, most shoulder injuries will mean that almost every exercise is out. You will have to rest it way longer than you think and in the meantime will definitely want a good sport physio. My physio has fixed me twice and at least I learnt something in the process. Somehow this week I have zero shoulder pain, but a couple of weeks ago both were bothering me. Today its my left lower back and coccyx for some reason. Oh well, will just eat more :p

Soldato
Shoulder pain injuries can vary massively due to the number and variety of joints in the area. My AC joint separation injury made any press at anything more than a slight incline impossible even with a broomstick but i felt little to no pain bench pressing flat after a few weeks so long as i had someone there to help me get it on and off the rack. Even when comparing to other people with a AC separation, they had completely different can and can'ts.

A year on there are a handful of exercises i completely avoid due to pain caused by a lack of mobility. I think i am 95% healed and am unlikely to get much better.

Man of Honour
Yes, I've heard about how long a shoulder injury can take to repair; I just hope it's not several months or more, but it could well be. :/

It depends on the damage. I learnt to work around and through some of my AC joint pain, but even then it was 6 months before I benched again, starting from scratch and 18 months until 'fully' healed. Even now if I sleep on it it becomes temporarily inflamed sometimes and I still get the occasional twinge.

Even when comparing to other people with a AC separation, they had completely different can and can'ts.

Yup, reading around there were exercises that people couldn't touch that were absolutely fine for me and vice versa. I still can't do front raises.

Anyways. Chatting to a girl in the gym yesterday, she uses the free weights area quite a lot. It passes the time inbetween sets and makes everyone else jealous since none of them have plucked up the conversation to actually speak to her - it doesn't help that she is cold. The first few weeks I would get a short reply and her headphones would go straight back on. Then she realised that I travel the world every 6 weeks or so and have a fair bit of cash. On Friday she stopped me for a chat. Progress. So yesterday we are chatting away and some dude is hovering over the rear fly that I have left my towel on looking around anxiously. Dude. Etiquette. You can see I am in the middle of an important conversation, wait your turn :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Yup, reading around there were exercises that people couldn't touch that were absolutely fine for me and vice versa. I still can't do front raises.

I believe it is because it is a static joint with just ligaments joining them. The displacement can be completely different for each person with a separation, not to mention the degree of separation. Throw in the fact that your other muscles like trapz pick up the slack when an AC joint separates and you can end up with a unique injury every time due to different builds and strengths.

I'm grateful that the shoulder is unique enough that even though i can't do everything, there is a way to work around my injury after a bit of healing - whereas an elbow injury pretty much rules out the vast majority of bicep and triceps stuff, back stuff and most chest stuff until almost fully healed.

Man of Honour
I believe it is because it is a static joint with just ligaments joining them. The displacement can be completely different for each person with a separation, not to mention the degree of separation. Throw in the fact that your other muscles like trapz pick up the slack when an AC joint separates and you can end up with a unique injury every time due to different builds and strengths.

I'm grateful that the shoulder is unique enough that even though i can't do everything, there is a way to work around my injury after a bit of healing - whereas an elbow injury pretty much rules out the vast majority of bicep and triceps stuff, back stuff and most chest stuff until almost fully healed.

I’m fortunate that I can bench again, I didn’t think I would. Also that I have been able to manage my elbow pain with hammer curls and that the pain has kept to a minimum for the most part. Definitely getting older!

Caporegime
When I think back to the volume I used to do when I was much younger, it blows my mind. There's probably little chance that I could and perhaps most relevant of all, would want to do that amount of sets per session again. Calf training, for example, used to be nuts when I was eighteen. :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
When I think back to the volume I used to do when I was much younger, it blows my mind. There's probably little chance that I could and perhaps most relevant of all, would want to do that amount of sets per session again. Calf training, for example, used to be nuts when I was eighteen. :D

You’d be surprised what you could still build up to, but this is true. I remember injuring myself (rarely) when younger and bouncing back in days. I was speaking to a guy in the gym who was saying now it is much more like a marathon, pacing yourself along the way - too true.

Soldato
I know this is a big ask, but hoping for help from the OcUK gym rat hive mind...

I need a new and interesting workout program, and I'd like suggestions for 30 min gym-based workouts.

In the past I made my best gains when I devised a varied program of 28 days that I repeated every 4 weeks. Ideally I'd like to stick to this format, but just spice up the workouts in the program.

I do ParkRun most Saturdays, and I think I'd be happy not to target much improvement in my running times other than the gains I have seen and will hopefully continue to see as the result of the cardio work on the rowing machine.

My general goal is just gradual improvement in general fitness.

Specifically I'd like to improve on my performance at:-

5k Row
5k Run time
2k Row time
Max Pull-ups
1 rep max Deadlift & Squat

One initial thought/question I have is Whether Stronglifts could be broken down from 3 workouts (with interspaced rest days) a week into 5 shorter workouts on consecutive days in such a way as the exercised muscle-groups still get some downtime?

Soldato
What do you mean by 'Max Pull-ups'?

If you have only half an hour, then that'd just get you're squats done.
Not sure how to spread the days so you'd 'rest muscle groups' I'd just do squats every day :D
By "max pullups" I mean that I want to try and up the maximum strict pullups I can string together - currently 7, with an ugly 8th, but I'd like to get to 12...

I left out the key word "reps" - sorry.

In terms of stronglifts, you joke, but that's pretty much what I was considering!

I could maybe do just squats on Mondays and Wednesdays. Deadlifts on Fridays. Bench and Rows on Tuesdays. Shoulder press on Thursdays.

Soldato
Well you could have been going for weight added to pull ups, that's what the stronglifts app'll have you doing.

Back 'int day I used to strap a 20Kg on for pullups.....then injured myself in a completely unrelated way (probably)

I would reckon you'd get to 12 in a couple weeks of regular training, it's a conditioning thing really.

That split could work, you'd probably notice far slower gains.
While said jokingly, I would just go for squats every day, if you row/run& pull up, then becoming a squat beast can't hurt

Man of Honour
Just do a standard strength routine including deadlifts, squats, rows, bench and chins for those exercises...

There are a gazillion out there, but trying to get them done in half an hour might be tough, so you'd probably only be looking at two exercises each session.

Btw: the best way to improve your times in running/rowing is to run/row in a structured way (intervals, etc.): strength training will add a certain percentage, but if you want cardio, do cardio.

I am looking to improve my cycling FTP, but don't want to look like a stick insect, therefore have to manage what I do, and when. I did legs on Sunday and have not been able to even walk properly since then, with the idea of cycling filling me with dread. Which will harm my FTP chasing... So go figure. :)

Soldato
Well you could have been going for weight added to pull ups, that's what the stronglifts app'll have you doing.

Back 'int day I used to strap a 20Kg on for pullups.....then injured myself in a completely unrelated way (probably)

I would reckon you'd get to 12 in a couple weeks of regular training, it's a conditioning thing really.

That split could work, you'd probably notice far slower gains.
While said jokingly, I would just go for squats every day, if you row/run& pull up, then becoming a squat beast can't hurt
I agree about the importance of squats but I don't feel like I could do them every day - every other day is still the same volume as prescribed by Stronglifts.

String lifts doesnt include pullups, but I saw that people recommend supplementing the program with some. I'll just add them to 2 days furthest from the row days.

Just do a standard strength routine including deadlifts, squats, rows, bench and chins for those exercises...

There are a gazillion out there, but trying to get them done in half an hour might be tough, so you'd probably only be looking at two exercises each session.

Btw: the best way to improve your times in running/rowing is to run/row in a structured way (intervals, etc.): strength training will add a certain percentage, but if you want cardio, do cardio.

I am looking to improve my cycling FTP, but don't want to look like a stick insect, therefore have to manage what I do, and when. I did legs on Sunday and have not been able to even walk properly since then, with the idea of cycling filling me with dread. Which will harm my FTP chasing... So go figure. :)
Thanks. Good idea. I've been including a HIIT rowing session but more structure and variety to the rest of the rowing workouts makes sense.

You can get Stronglifts done in just over half an hour
As @mrthingyx guessed/knew - I've only really been certain of getting 2 out of the 3 exercises done - and even that is getting tougher now the wright's are challenging. It's got to a point where I need to hog 2 bits of equipment and interspace the 2 exercises to use them as part of the rest period for each other.

Soldato
If you want to get good at pull-ups, add a few sets at the end of each workout - You wont be overworking yourself.

I started to do a set or two at the end of every non back workout and more on back days. God knows how many i do per week doing 6 on 1 off but it is surprising just how quick you can improve at body weight exercises by doing them often.

Back
Top Bottom