F1 2019

Associate
The upgrade from g920 to a t300 would be very slim tbh.

If you are looking to upgrade I would get the csl elite, only proper upgrade imo.

Thrustmaster stuff still looks like kids toys to me, where the elite is a adult toy lol .

For 250-300 I would just keep the g290 tbh, I had the g29 and it was decent.

Associate
The g290 uses gears that's the clanking noise you hear and the bitty feel where are others are belt driven so much smoother.

basically everything is better from tech, to strength, configure ability, built quality, looks, huge choice of swapable quality rims.

Logitech is a great wheel for the money, thrustmaster I'm not keen on as too kid like and poor quality for the money.

Fanatec was the only real upgrade worth considering for me, when you are in the eco system you only need to upgrade one bit aswell.
Eg if I go direct drive my rims and pedals will work on it perfect.

Soldato
I have a Logitech G29 which is fantastic - Well impressed with it... Although, I admit I am considering selling it as I just don't get the time to play as often as I like anymore :( :p

Associate
Folks so what the most reasonable direct drive system?
Is it best to go with that over belt?

Most reasonably priced is an entry level OSW setup from somewhere like simracingbay but getting a direct drive wheel for a game like codermasters F1 is pretty mad given the series has objectively poor FFB and up until recently didn't even support direct drive wheels.

If you're going direct drive you naturally want to get the most out of it and to do that you're going to need to play sims with far better wheel support/FFB such as iRacing, Assetto Corsa, rFactor 2 etc where the difference in feel is night and day compared to codemasters games.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh absolutely. This is not only F1 2010 driven but wanting to get into AC and PC2 mainly. And eventually iracing.

Can these direct drive affairs be mounted on sturdy tables or will the motor just rip the tables apart and better having it on a frame?

And this OSW who is it made by exactly?

Associate
Oh absolutely. This is not only F1 2010 driven but wanting to get into AC and PC2 mainly. And eventually iracing.

Can these direct drive affairs be mounted on sturdy tables or will the motor just rip the tables apart and better having it on a frame?

And this OSW who is it made by exactly?

It's generally not recommended to mount to a table unless the table/desk is very solid and most importantly drilled into the wall, even then its not ideal. The base would certainly have to be permanently hard mounted to the desk... a clamp system wouldn't be enough. Id strongly recommend getting a proper rig/frame for it but it is possible to create your own custom desk solution, people have done it but they've gone to great lengths to make sure everything is completely secure and that there is absolutely no movement in the desk whatsoever even at high forces... if you're half decent at DIY its viable.

OSW isn't a brand as such, it stands for 'open sim wheel', they are custom made pieces of kit consisting of various parts that anyone can buy separately and put together. However, not everyone wants to build everything from scratch so various websites sell pre built with everything you need. Id suggest going for the simucube builds... this is the cheapest one and is more than good enough

https://www.simracingbay.com/product/simucube-2-sport/

This video is a review of a slightly older build of the one linked above

Bare in mind that you'll need to buy a wheel/rim as well, you can get conversions of Fanatec formula rims done for about £280 last time i checked... there are tons of other options though, just google 'OSW rims' or something like that.

If this all sounds like a ballache then you could just go down the Fanatec route, they've just released 2 direct drive bases which are an all in on a solution and are compatible with most of the rims on their website. I don't really know anything about these bases though, they are certainly the more aesthetically pleasing solution but i've no idea how they perform up against equivalent spec OSW's or Bodnars. Fanatec doesn't have a great rep for reliability but all their previous wheels were belt driven... so id imagine these will have less issues.

https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/wheel-bases/podium-wheel-base-dd1-eu-1.html
https://www.fanatec.com/eu-en/wheel-bases/podium-wheel-base-dd2-eu.html

Associate
Thanks for the detailed advice.

Is there a commercially available off the shelf direct drive system with pedals?
The fanatec DD don't come with pedals I assume?

No, you need to buy pedals separately. Good Pedals are a better investment than a direct drive wheel tbh, you'll find more time in improved braking than you will from going direct drive.

Best cheapish pedals to get are the Fanatec Elite LC pedals, despite the price the brake is notably better than the brake on the more expensive clubsport pedal series (I've owned both as well as HE pro & ultimate pedals).

If you want to go all Fanatec id suggest this setup:

Fanatec DD1 + Formula Carbon rim (Cheapest F1 rim they do) + CSL Elite Pedals LC

That's about £1500 (ish)

Last edited:
Associate
Brake performance kit is for the v3s btw, elite Lc comes with different weight bumpers as standard.

Ah yes you might be correct, i think i must have had the brake performance kit with the clubsports... I then 'downgraded' them to elite LC's because they were closer in feel to my HE pedals and had a better/more reliable load cell than the clubsports.

Soldato
Blimey. How naive I have been about all of this, very much some very deep level stuff that I am completely oblivious to and definitely should research in more detail before jumping in.
I fully understand however that this will not make a better driver.
For me its about the experience of having a more smoother/accurate/realistic drive and getting the right feedback through the wheel and having an overall better driving experience.

Back
Top Bottom