• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
T-topology will affect the speed you can run two sticks at, but all the ASRock X570's are also T-topology. The IMC on the CPU has a much bigger impact than than the DIMM slot layout until you start hitting very high frequencies, and the ability to run 4 sticks at a good speed to me is much more advantageous if you are hoping the system is going to last you for a while. X570 while new and exciting doesn't mean much if you already have a great previous gen board, and don't need PCI-E 4.0. :)

The two topology routes have reached a point where they're both within one or two ratios of each other in terms of compromise. Optimem III enhancements should put the maximum validation up a notch or two over other boards.

That said, you'll need to test or look out for reviews as to where the advantages are, as FCLK is still intrinsically a key factor in any gains.

Associate
No we're not unless AMD have changed their roadmap. 7nm+ was for Zen 3 in 2020, there's never been a Zen 2+
Of course AMD have the leeway now to introduce a Zen 2+ after all in the face of zero Intel competition as I suggested above.
Yeah sorry I meant to say Zen3 (Ryzen 4000) on 7nm+ likely arriving on the AM4 socket before we go into the AM5 socket.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

That depends on the interpretation of AMD saying "AM4 will be supported until 2020".

If that includes 2020 then we'll get Ryzen 4000 on AM4. Which also indicates that DDR5 and PCIe 5 will wait until 2021 when the socket changes.
If "until 2020" means 2020 is the change year then Ryzen 4000 will need a new socket. But I don't see this happening because it's a year too early for DDR5 and PCIe 5.

Also consider the notion that Zen 2 is so far ahead of Intel right now, there's arguably no rush for AMD to release Zen 3 next year as planned. They could introduce a Zen 2+ where they shrink the existing arch to TSMC 6nm/7nm EUV (or whatever they're calling it these days) to get some practice in, possibly shrink the I/O die too to get practice in there and push Zen 3 back a year just to ensure they keep their momentum. In this situation Zen 2+ would be on AM4 as it's not much different and Zen 3 can be paired up with DDR5 and PCIe 5 in 2021 (nicely coinciding with the SMT thread count going up).

I can see that happening.

Releasing the AM5 sockets just as Pcie 5.0 and DDR5 become a thing seems like the best bet.

Associate
Conservative or just ill informed? Tell me what is the rated TDP difference of the 3950X 16c/32t vs the 8c/16 2700X?

Can't tell you much about Navi, but it looks like the 5700 XT is 225w vs something like 175W for the RTX 2070

You are paranoid, as you put it. Stock for the CPU's will be plentiful, much to the annoyance of retailers who'd want to gouge the heck out of it, specific motherboards on the other hand may be in short supply for the first couple of weeks. :)

Being truthful, my remark was a bit tongue in cheek, i'm like most who have an interest, either planning to upgrade, or a whole new build. I hope your right about supply and demand, yet, how is it there is always such short supply on release, there is no way it is an accident, it happens every time a major CPU/GPU/Console/Phone launch.
There will be price hikes, there will be long delays. Well see.

Soldato
Being truthful, my remark was a bit tongue in cheek, i'm like most who have an interest, either planning to upgrade, or a whole new build. I hope your right about supply and demand, yet, how is it there is always such short supply on release, there is no way it is an accident, it happens every time a major CPU/GPU/Console/Phone launch.
There will be price hikes, there will be long delays. Well see.

Pretty sure there was no supply issues with Zen1 and Zen+, and im pretty sure that AMD already said there will be plenty of supply of Zen chips, infact i cant recall Zen being ever in short supply.

Soldato
But I don't see this happening because it's a year too early for DDR5 and PCIe 5.

DDR5 will more than likely be in a release window like DDR4 was. ECC first in Q4 '19, or Q1 '20, then non-ECC by Q2'20 or Q3 '20. If you recall Intel launched Haswell-E in Q3' 14 (September) only one quarter after the first DDR4 ECC modules were available to the enterprise and server markets. SK Hynix have been very vocal about getting DDR5 to market by 202 at the latest in a bid to be first to market, and Samsung are not far behind.

AMD will be supporting TR4 socket with Milan in 2020 which is 7nm+ or Zen3 as we know, and so there seesm to be some reassurance that we'll see AM4 with Zen3 CPU's as well.

Soldato
Pretty sure there was no supply issues with Zen1 and Zen+, and im pretty sure that AMD already said there will be plenty of supply of Zen chips, infact i cant recall Zen being ever in short supply.

Yes, it was a motherboard shortage on Zen 1 leading to me purchasing CPU and mobo elsewhere, so hopefully this wont happen again at OCUK. Reading back a few posts, I will also be keeping my CH6 for a while if I decide to upgrade to Zen 2. At least this will allow prices, stocks to settle.

Soldato

No asrock boards to be seen for a good few weeks after release. In fact I ended up buying my cpu and mobo from 2 different places due to stock.

Soldato
No asrock boards to be seen for a good few weeks after release. In fact I ended up buying my cpu and mobo from 2 different places due to stock.

Yes, motherboard shortages were a real problem for Zen 1xxx launch, and it didn't help after getting one sorting out all the teething issues, for several months.

It is a different kettle of fish now though, plenty of board vendors, with plenty of SKU's and lots of previous gen boards if you aren't interested in X570. If you are just upgrading from 1xxx to a new 3xxx CPU then it seems that the issue will lie firmly with which CPU to chose not when you will get it, which is nice. :)

Man of Honour
I was so set on upgrading next month, couldn't wait. But now I'm debating whether to wait until the 3950x is out.

I've been making do with a 1600 @4GHz for near 2 years, so a 3900X will still be a massive upgrade but 16 cores is very tempting :p

Soldato
People could do worse that to check out some of the nice RAM deals around today, if they are looking to go for a new setup. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3000MHz C15 (Micron E-die) can be had for <£110 for 32GB (2x16GB), oh it is white if you care. :)

Soldato
Would rather just get a 3600mhz C16/C14 32GB kit, can't see any about though and probably not at a good price yet.

They don't exist in 2x 16GB, if that is what you are looking for, 3600MHz C16.

You can spend £240+ on some C14 3200MHz sticks though, not sure how that is better value than overclocking a set of E-die sticks at a <£110 however. Guess no one here is bothered about value for money or overclocking anymore, they just buy the most expensive and fastest stuff, where's the fun in that. :(

Back
Top Bottom