Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Why does everyone complain about her flip?
She didn't flip. It's been a slow decline over several seasons. Ever since she started breaking chains, her advisor characters were on at her to be careful she didn't become the tyrant herself... Now that Jorah is dead and Missandei is dead and Varys is dead and anyone else she'd have listened to is dead, she just carries on descending into the blatantly obvious and inevitable...

Perhaps snap would be a better word? I fully agree with the above but in either case it's a jump from trying to take the city to razing it out of spite.

Man of Honour
As the old saying goes... there is no accounting for taste. Feel feel free to waffle your defence of the show and thus exhibit your poor critical judgement for the forum to see and i will sit back happy in the knowledge that like most of the fanbase I recognise atrocious writing and/or directing (regardless of whether it is from D&D or GRR) when I see it. :)

PS: I did not say every episode was completely awful, episode 2 was at least decent.
Yeh, you’ve said this a number of times and it simply comes across as “those who don’t think like me are wrong and/or stupid”. I guess everyone is exhibiting themselves with their posts :o

Man of Honour
That pitch meeting is brilliant :D

The bit about the dragons vs the ships gets me every time. Also when they talk about time for fleshing out characters.

Funny, I was stoked about them doing Star Wars. Ironically Star Wars killed game of thrones and simultaneously revealed how much their writing sucks that has this diminished my excitement for star wars. Funny how things work out.

Man of Honour
would really love for it to get the Emmy. the boards would explode for weeks w/ "WTF???!" vs "hah! told you it was good!" vs "hell-o! Chernobyl!!!""
I didn’t want to contaminate (lul) the Chernobyl thread but I do think the praise for that show is kind of a protest against the frustrations with GOT. The final episode of Chernobyl is incredible but being a well made concise docudrama it is utterly invincible to the sorts of criticisms aimed at GOT. As I said in that thread, the characters in that show aren’t interesting / compelling until the very final episode when it all comes together. Great show and I won’t take that away from it, but the hype for it is definitely compounded because of GOT.

Soldato
I didn’t want to contaminate (lul) the Chernobyl thread but I do think the praise for that show is kind of a protest against the frustrations with GOT. The final episode of Chernobyl is incredible but being a well made concise docudrama it is utterly invincible to the sorts of criticisms aimed at GOT. As I said in that thread, the characters in that show aren’t interesting / compelling until the very final episode when it all comes together. Great show and I won’t take that away from it, but the hype for it is definitely compounded because of GOT.

um...show your working for that, as my teachers used to say. you seem to be saying the only people watching/rating Chernobyl are disgruntled GoT fans on some sort of revenge kick. the rest is all your opinion that you're entitled to, but I found the characters very compelling/intereting by the very fact that they were [mostly] real people doing real things that caused real issues. and it's not "invincible" if you're talking about the writing/plotting aspect - it could very easily have been done as a piece of **** ~ for an execrable telling of a real event/tragedy, look what Cameron did for Titanic, as an example.

Man of Honour
um...show your working for that, as my teachers used to say. you seem to be saying the only people watching/rating Chernobyl are disgruntled GoT fans on some sort of revenge kick. the rest is all your opinion that you're entitled to, but I found the characters very compelling/intereting by the very fact that they were [mostly] real people doing real things that caused real issues. and it's not "invincible" if you're talking about the writing/plotting aspect - it could very easily have been done as a piece of **** ~ for an execrable telling of a real event/tragedy, look what Cameron did for Titanic, as an example.
In respect of the bit in bold, that’s not what I said - read it again :p

Edit - you know what... I wasn’t very clear! So I’ll let you have that! Please interpret the rest of my post accordingly :)

I said the hype for Chernobyl is, I believe, in response to GOT (and possibly the lack of any other memorable docudrama in recent times - I can’t think of any).

Chernobyl was a 5 episode docudrama - it had a defined ending. It would be almost impossible to ruin any ‘long character arcs’ which seems to be the major GOT criticism. It’s not invincible to ALL criticisms - it was still a good show, as I said.

In fact, here’s what I did say in the Chernobyl thread:

Been enjoying this. Harrowing viewing and no doubt well documents matters well (as far as I’m aware).

That said, I do think the acclaim is slightly OTT. The subject matter is naturally extremely interesting and, far, far more interesting than the drama / acting is good, IMHO. But then again, the drama and acting is always going to be eclipsed by the subject matter.

The lead guy with glasses is a bit meh/annoying... just no real character development and he’s all round pretty flat. Not what the show was going for I guess but I’m surprised there is little emotion / personal drama from the lead actors.

The accents were really jarring at first, got used to it.

Also it reminds me of that old Hillsborough docu-drama with Ricky Tomlinson, if anyone remembers that. Just that sort of... sad and harrowing watch. You’ll probably like that if you liked this.

Just saw the final episode and thought it was far away the best - my criticisms of the other episodes didn’t apply. Really very good.

Hope that clears it up!

Last edited:
Soldato
So, the most emmy nominations of any show ever with 32 nominations. The most any show has had since NYPD Blue in 1994 I believe.

Let the fury and fervour commence. :D

In all seriousness, despite the drop in story telling quality, it's deserving of a fair few of them.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom