What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
I occasionally use them for 'awkward' jobs, for what they charge per hour it's sometimes not worth getting my hands dirty and you can take them non mini related stuff as long as you don't mind strange looks :D

Soldato
Fitted a more powerful gas struts for the boot.
[/MEDIA=youtube]1zC98wzQ-5s[/MEDIA]
How long do you plan on keeping the car?

Heard concerns / stories about failing locks due to the constant additional pressure being applied by the uprated struts

Soldato
How long do you plan on keeping the car?

Heard concerns / stories about failing locks due to the constant additional pressure being applied by the uprated struts
Hopefully 2-3 years, maybe more depending on circumstances. Only got the car 2 months ago and already looking at replacements :rolleyes:

Soldato
good point - I'd forgotten about that in my comment, taking off the internal trim panels from inside the boot, to lube the mechanism, also playing with the bump-stop level, was a BM though.

[
Acme's right, Kona blue
your picture in the bm thread ?, with palm trees was much more gorgeous
]

Soldato
Yesterday i spent 4 hours removing a mangled caliper carrier bolt from the back of the Focus - Ford in their wisdom used external torx bolts meaning I had to go buy some E sockets. Obviously after 7 years of water and other crap they pretty much disintegrated when trying to turn.

Couldn't get reasonable access to cut the head off and the disc was in the way of drilling it out so had to improvise and chop slots into it / smash it round with a chisel in the end. I'm hoping the replacements I've bought have been changed to a regular old Hex head, although I doubt i'll be changing the rear discs again in my ownership.

Soldato
Rear valance nearly finished! Here is a welding slow mo done on my portable telephone, and a crossmember shot!

crossmember.jpg

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Turned left into a very narrow road anticipating the sharp kerb but even still, just gently brushed it :eek:

rps20190611_191849_980.jpg

I'm kinda kicking myself because I'm on CSL profile tyre sizing so if I had standard size the sidewall would have been a few mm bigger so the alloy rim would have cleared the kerb :(

Wonder if a smart repair can be done on diamondcut since that is such a light scuff?

Soldato
D'oh! :(

I have a slightly smaller donk on one of my wheels which I inflicted during a slight error of judgement driving out of a petrol station, meaning the wheel kissed one of the many pointless bits of kerbing there.

It annoys me less than it would if it was damage caused through the carelessness of someone else though.. If that makes sense?!

Soldato
Took it in for a service and a diagnostic today at SEAT for an intermittent engine warning light which my OBD11 adapter tells me is related to the boost pressure actuator in the turbo. Arnold Clark are quoting me £465 just to remove and inspect the turbo further, any fix (or worst case scenario, turbo replacement) will be extra.

Ouch. Very much regretting not getting an extended warranty plan now.

Soldato
Had a recall notice from BMW for my 320d a few months back for the EGR cooler issue. I called them up back then and got it booked in for not only that, but a "steering gear quality enhancement" which turns out to be an issue relating to corrosion and bolts falling out resulting in the potential to lose steering altogether, lovely. Anyway, today was the day. Was quite pleased to get a nice 530i M Sport Touring as a loaner for the day:

IMG-4087.jpg

However I just had a call from them to say that it failed its check on the EGR cooler so it needs a replacement which they don't have available right now and they're going to be organising me a hire car of some sort. No doubt I'll end up without my own car for quite a while :rolleyes:

Soldato
Took it in for a service and a diagnostic today at SEAT for an intermittent engine warning light which my OBD11 adapter tells me is related to the boost pressure actuator in the turbo. Arnold Clark are quoting me £465 just to remove and inspect the turbo further, any fix (or worst case scenario, turbo replacement) will be extra.

Is it a 1.2 TSI ? My mum's is 3 years old and had the actuator replaced in the first year and the turbo replaced 6 months ago. It's a very common fault you should get goodwill from VAG towards the cost of what I expect will be a new turbo.

Soldato

Is it a 1.2 TSI ? My mum's is 3 years old and had the actuator replaced in the first year and the turbo replaced 6 months ago. It's a very common fault you should get goodwill from VAG towards the cost of what I expect will be a new turbo.

Does it happen at startup where it judders at 1.2k rpm then throws an stop/start error along with the engine light staying on for about 5 seconds then disappears?

How do you go about proving this to the dealer since it's intermittent?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
D'oh! :(

I have a slightly smaller donk on one of my wheels which I inflicted during a slight error of judgement driving out of a petrol station, meaning the wheel kissed one of the many pointless bits of kerbing there.

It annoys me less than it would if it was damage caused through the carelessness of someone else though.. If that makes sense?!

I know what you mean, at least it is something caused by the car being used as it should instead of it just sitting there parked up all happy and someone else hitting it!

Soldato

1.4 TSi (2014 Leon FR). I've emailed some places this afternoon asking for quotes, I'll need to go and collect the car tomorrow whether I can them to do the work or not so I'll speak to them then but I can't see them offering any kind of goodwill at 4 and a half years old.

Back
Top Bottom