• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
In theory, looking back and calming down..... If this 5700xt 50th edition had HBM and a water block, could i reasonably speculate that it would have 2080ti ish performance? if not
This 5800 speculation .. if that had hbm would it be near a 2080ti do you think?

Permabanned
Is there any news when Navi 20 is expected to be available to buy?
Way its going Start saving 750-1000 quid today for when it hits :D

After NV's todays nerws lolol
3f29a8ca39c95df45576df261cb8edfe4c03ca9a.jpeg

@Illuminist AMD are ******** for blocking Bioses in NAVI... Guess did not wanted people buyuing 5700 and flashing 5700x bioses cause it would be vega56 to vega 64 situation.... CANT HAVE THAT!!! Entusiasts having some hardware to play with We put end to that !!!

Caporegime
It doesn't matter how you try and word the outcome remains the same DLSS uses a lower image to create a better-looking image, in theory, 4K its all fake! Sharpening the image to create a fake image that looks like a 4k image its all the same. What does it better remains the question.

The outcome for each of these is to create something better without the performance cost! DLSS is put in place from the performance cost Ray Tracing takes away playing the game at a much lower res and creating a image that is 4k
AMD takes a lower res and sharpening it up to make you see a better-looking image 4k!

That are both fake! Either way!

Edit
To look good you need a native monitor supporting the res you want. So in my case, I own 1440p so I would use AMD sharpening tool at 1080p getting 1080p performance while in theory making it look like am still gaming at 1440p

No, you still don't seem to get it. There is no upscaling happening. If you have a 1440p screen then with MD you would have to render at 1440p, but could apply the sharpening filter and you will get get an image with slightly moreco trash. Whether you prefer that perceived sharpness is a personal choice.

You can do the same with Nvidia's drivers. AMD might be better, but this is nothing new and really not interesting.

DLSS is fundamentally different because it is upscaling. It is increasing the resolution, so you can render at a lower resolution and gain performance benefits. AMD's sharpening has zero performance benefits , only a small performance cost.

Soldato
Way its going Start saving 750-1000 quid today for when it hits :D

After NV's todays nerws lolol
3f29a8ca39c95df45576df261cb8edfe4c03ca9a.jpeg

@Illuminist AMD are ******** for blocking Bioses in NAVI... Guess did not wanted people buyuing 5700 and flashing 5700x bioses cause it would be vega56 to vega 64 situation.... CANT HAVE THAT!!! Entusiasts having some hardware to play with We put end to that !!!

A bit like Nvidia blocking SLI on lower end cards. Or forcing people to pay £100+ for gsync and blocking the use of freesync, or putting spyware in their drivers. Also Nvidia put hard caps on the voltages on their cards to make sure they won't overtake the next model up with a big overclock :p

But flashing a vega56 to a 64 doesn't really make it a 64. 64 has faster memory and more bandwidth.

Caporegime
I don't think anywhere has been claimed that AMD's sharpening thing is meant to let you render a 1080p image on a 1440p panel to retain same IQ as a 1440p render lol.

I thought it was about adding detail to your native render.

Exactly this. There is no upscaling at all.

Think of it as simply playing with the screen contrast settings. It isn't changing the resolution at all, it is just making some dark pixels darker and some light pixels.lighterx particularly on edges. This makes it look slightly sharper, but the resolution is the same.

The bottom line is with AMD and Nvidia's sharpening, there is no performance benefit and no upscaling, simply the image quality changes

Associate
Ok, just a thought considering @Gibbo's latest GPU deals.

This is obviously to clear stock of current cards in preparation for the incoming new range. But, and it's a big but, why does it seem that AMD are clearing everything, including the Radeon VII?

Surely the VII still has a place as their top product. Unless there is more to come from NAVI?

It did seem strange to me that the launch was of a singular 'series', the 5700/XT. Normally there would be more to a launch than that. Is there a possibility that AMD were holding back on any other tier NAVI cards which will appear before too much longer? Surely two cards aren't replacing AMD's entire graphics stack?

Soldato

This is obviously to clear stock of current cards in preparation for the incoming new range. But, and it's a big but, why does it seem that AMD are clearing everything, including the Radeon VII?

Surely the VII still has a place as their top product. Unless there is more to come from NAVI?

It did seem strange to me that the launch was of a singular 'series', the 5700/XT. Normally there would be more to a launch than that. Is there a possibility that AMD were holding back on any other tier NAVI cards which will appear before too much longer? Surely two cards aren't replacing AMD's entire graphics stack?

I think the Radeon VII was just a low volume production run to plug a gap. Too expensive to make money on. They'll just let it sell out then replace it with maybe a 5800XT? Also probably waiting for Nvidia's response.

Associate

Gibbo said in another thread it was always meant as a limited quantity card because they are making gaming cards using their professional cards which means every VII is sold at a loss for AMD. Guess they are just trying to stop that loss by not making them any more.

Permabanned
Personally I was pretty underwhelmed with AMD 5700XT performance showcasing until started reading between the lines last couple of days.
First of all the 5700XT resolves issues GCN had in games like Assassin's Creed, Ghost Recon, Witcher 3. To the point is 28%, 22%, 19% respectively faster than a Vega 64 and 2-5% faster than the 2070.

That's the bit that got my attention. It'll be interesting too see if it's the same with other titles Nvidia usually run away with.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well, they have do you think I just picked this info out of thin air?

AMD says this sharpening of textures makes 1080p look close to 1440p when upscaled on a higher resolution monitor.

Read the sign next to Radeon PC - Draws out detail to combat image blur when upscaled to higher resolution 4k
https://youtu.be/uPpdtXFx7gQ?t=262

That doesn't actually say what you're stating.

In that they're rendering at a none native resolution on a 4K monitor and comparing IQ using their RIS to DLSS doing "native" 4K.

Not that they're making 1080p look like 1440p.

If I ever ran the image sharpener I'd run it on my native render, best IQ all around?

But of course it's an AMD thing, so you're not going to be objective.
It's best I just pretend that it's the best thing on the planet.

Soldato
No, you still don't seem to get it. There is no upscaling happening. If you have a 1440p screen then with MD you would have to render at 1440p, but could apply the sharpening filter and you will get get an image with slightly moreco trash. Whether you prefer that perceived sharpness is a personal choice.

You can do the same with Nvidia's drivers. AMD might be better, but this is nothing new and really not interesting.

DLSS is fundamentally different because it is upscaling. It is increasing the resolution, so you can render at a lower resolution and gain performance benefits. AMD's sharpening has zero performance benefits , only a small performance cost.

Watch the AMD video above DP for god sake lol The guy clearly talks about upscaling the image from 1440p to 4k

Soldato
That doesn't actually say what you're stating.

In that they're rendering at a none native resolution on a 4K monitor and comparing IQ using their RIS to DLSS doing "native" 4K.

Not that they're making 1080p look like 1440p.

If I ever ran the image sharpener I'd run it on my native render, best IQ all around?

But of course it's an AMD thing, so you're not going to be objective.
It's best I just pretend that it's the best thing on the planet.

No I have said multiple times now we just after wait and see come July 7th. All I have been posting is information from the internet. How good AMDs feature is I don't know! So don't try and move the ballpark with me.
In the video he clearly says the demo is running at 1440p and upscaled to 4k. I have also told you this! You will need a native res for this to work so in my case 1440p I could run a game at 1080p and use this RIS to get a 1440p image for the cost of 1080p image.

And for the record, I got the 1080p to 1440p from the website write up I posted. AMDs own words!

Last edited:
Soldato

Maybe they want to bait Nvidia into showing their hand and reducing their prices.

Soldato
There will probably be a 5600 and xt and 5500 and xt to cover the lower ends, but im not sure as they are precious about the series name being nostalgic so a 4700? and a 3700 ? but then if they go up it will be 6700 and 7700 which is stepping on their own toes

So more likely the former, with a 5800xt or 5700 XTX or something, when all i hoped for was a 5900 xtx ,2080ti slayer

#ramblingashavenoidea

Back
Top Bottom