• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Spec me an upgrade

Soldato
So here's the situation. My current PC :

i7 5820k @4.2
32GB DDR4
Zotac GTX 970
Dell U3014 (2560x1600)

Now I've basically stopped PC gaming the last couple of years as the 970 just isn't up to driving that resolution with modern games above 20-something FPS. The monitor is great though and I will be keeping it (the other half uses it for design work so the colour accuracy is important). Also, CPU, mobo and memory are all fine, not worth upgrading anyway when the GPU is the weak link.

Now, I have a work anniversary coming up in a few weeks, and I get 600 euros to spend on computer equipment. With the caveat that I cannot go over that amount and top it up myself.

Currently, the best price for the Radeon VII is about 650 EUR, and the RTX 2080 about 639. If either of them were in my price bracket I would probably just get one of them and be done with it....but they aren't :(

Getting a fancy 2070 for 500 and something seems dumb....I'm thinking if I want to start PC gaming again I'd be better getting a Vega 56 and a 27" 144hz 1080p Freesync to replace one of my secondary monitors....

Maybe I can drag it out long enough that AMD or nVidia drop some discounts...

Soldato
OP
Well, I ran out of time waiting for new GPUs, so I've got a Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2070 on the way....if the 2080s are out of reach might as well get the fastest 2070 I can find.

Soldato
Well, I ran out of time waiting for new GPUs, so I've got a Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 2070 on the way....if the 2080s are out of reach might as well get the fastest 2070 I can find.
Send it back, wait a few weeks and get a new 2060 or 2070 super.

really bad time to buy now o_O

Soldato
OP
Read the OP, I have a timeline, and it's not me placing the order, I just say what I want and my employer orders it, can't return it. I've been watching price comparison sites....but the Vega VII has been sat at 638 EUR, the 2080 at 649....sucks!

Still, a good 2070 is going to be a huge step up from my 970, might get me back into PC gaming again

Back
Top Bottom