What is/was your favorite internet forum?

Soldato
(Do not say OCUK!, that's cheating! :p )

Mine has to be one from, oh, 15 years ago or so.

It was called "Whats wrong with Britain"

It was interesting for several reasons.

1) You did not need to register. Just post with a name and one was away (Didn't even have to be the same name each time)

2) It was totally un-moderated.

3) Nobody at the time could figure out who was running it on such libertarian terms and why?

It actually ended up with a really rather nice on-line community where all sorts of things were discussed and nobody ever got really ****** off with anybody else.

I recall people like "Lady Luxury" (I am guessing, at the time, a smart mid teen girl)

And "Benefit scrounging *******" (Clearly Welsh, he got ribbed about it a lot but took it in good humour)

What killed it was a change by the operators that required people to create a user account. Killed it dead in literally 48 hours! :(

So sad! :(

That and "Orion Project" as a close second (Equal really) are the two parts of the internet that I really miss.

Nothing else has ever come close really. :/

PS,

One of the guys on "Orion Project" produced this video. We all contributed towards it regarding the actual technical specs for the proposed space ship.

It isn't just a cool video, the maths/propulsion works too! (The Boosters are hypothetical shuttle SRB's extended by 50% for a longer burn time for example)

And for a more in depth description of PO!

Though he has actually missed out the juicer aspects of the technology, probabally because they simply wouldn't be believed, even on the Interweb :p :D :cool: :cool:!!

I have always felt that the great tragedy of the space race was that the US won. Had the Soviets got to the Moon first, we would be all over the Solar System by now!

:(

Soldato
I posted quite a few on gamespot years ago I think my last post was around 2005. I use reddit a bit nowadays. I used vbforums a good bit think last post around 2006. A few other programming forums.

Can't think what else.

Caporegime
Bodybuilding.com's Misc section

The golden era is long gone, but it's still decent from time to time. Some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen has come from that place.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I only ever actively used one other forum my whole life and that was during my teens in a random Australian forum run by a guy called Tommy who went by the handle DJ Ace and was actually a big Sydney DJ I think. The forum was thepimpfactory.com hahaha man I was so cool!

It was actually full of older college/uni aged Asian kids living in Sydney chatting about teenage talk & music & full of both boys and girls mostly filipino heritage heh! To be fair that's where I got all my music and Ace was a major uploader (that's how I found pimpfactory) plus his own mixtapes were decent!

I remember he got raided by the police for piracy and he was one of the first people to be done for it way back then. Following his and all his buddies postings through it all was surreal. It was a huge thing! International news and happened to someone who I considered kind of a friend/idol right in front of us.

Here I actually found an article from 2003 https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/crazy-remixed-up-kids-20030625-gdgzio.html

One minute you're mixing CDs in your bedroom, the next, the federal police are knocking on your door. And if you're a DJ, you can expect a visit, too.

What DJ Ace surely never imagined was that the Australian federal police were monitoring his online antics as part of Operation Mezn, an investigation into music piracy launched by the record industry. And on April 23, Ace's parents answered a knock on the door and found themselves face-to-face with a contingent of cops armed with a search warrant. They came into the house, took Ace's computer and arrested him, taking him to police headquarters where he was charged with copyright violations for which he could face five years in jail.

With some hoopla, the music industry is promoting this as the first criminal prosecution in the world for illegal internet song-swapping - a signal of its determination to stamp out the scourge it claims threatens the entire industry. The industry's anti-piracy lawyer, Michael Williams, even drew a comparison between Mp3WmaLand and Osama bin Laden's terrorist cells.

Those familiar with Le, Tran and Ng find such hyperbole risible, saying that behind their grand web names - Pimp Daddy, Maestro and Webmaster - are geeky young students with a passion for cool technology and music.

Edit again: No way! Clicky :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Not Overclockers, of course.

I used to frequent a forum called the Photoshop Café for a long time. At some point a load of well known members made their own forum, and for the life of me I can't remember what it was called, but that was my favourite.

Soldato
Rebelscum.com forums; from my days collecting vintage Star Wars toys. I lost interest in the hobby 15+ years ago and rarely if ever visit the site.

Soldato
The only other online community I’ve been involved with was Wireplay back in the day.

I used that for playing Air Attack and Counterstrike. I think I actually found this place through Wireplay, while trying to find ways of increasing my fps on CS. :D

wireplay

In the early days of having the internet - Great community (most of the time).

Ha — snap! Posted at the same time as well.

Soldato
50klicks.com which was a Battlefield 2 forum/ clan. It was a brilliant place to be in it’s hey day and even long after. Was a sad day when it closed it’s doors. The head honcho is on these forums.

Caporegime
alliedassault.com a fan site set up for MOHAA around late 2000 that lasted til around 2008. They tried to relaunch it a couple of times but its popularity died off, was a really busy site for several years.

Soldato
I do wonder why forums have to be moderated really. If offensive comments are written then so what, we are all adults here. Is there a legal reason why offensive comments cannot be publically stored on a forum?

Back
Top Bottom