• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Intel fans that have switched back to AMD?

Caporegime
I’m not a fan of any company that churns out billions of parts of PC hardware...

I’ll buy what I want when I want it...

My last system was a 9900k which I ditched for Ryzen system as I fancy a 3900x 12c 24thread chip for the same cost as a 9900k

Soldato
I’m not a fan of any company that churns out billions of parts of PC hardware...

I’ll buy what I want when I want it...

My last system was a 9900k which I ditched for Ryzen system as I fancy a 3900x 12c 24thread chip for the same cost as a 9900k

I'm cautious about this and will wait and see. AMD never showed it's multi die CPU's playing any games - maybe that's for a reason, maybe games don't like the latency on the interconnect, maybe any Ryzen over 8 cores performance worse in games than the 8 core 3800x.

On paper - I'm avoiding the 9900k because the 3900x looks appetizing. However if the real 9900k gaming competitor is the 3800x - then I'll need to reconsider as they appear to have similar performance, even in AMD's chosen benchmarks.

Not that I'd likely get the 9900k anyway, but if AMD and Intel's best gaming CPU's end up with similar performance and core count - then it will be a tough choice, but I'll definitely wait till Q4 to see what the 10900k looks like

Last edited:
Associate
zen 2 3900x 12/24 is tempting me from my 8700k @ 5ghz all cores 1.35v peak - 1.29v ~ 75c. Been waitin for the release and real reviews. My biggest problem is every AMD build ive done in the last 20 odd years has been an unstable piece of **** ^_^ The last AMD card i had ( RMA'd 2 of em ) - 280X was only stable with a -50 underclock on the mem :( This is putting me off big time and while i am tempted i think ill just go with the 9900k or KS :/

Soldato
zen 2 3900x 12/24 is tempting me from my 8700k @ 5ghz all cores 1.35v peak - 1.29v ~ 75c. Been waitin for the release and real reviews. My biggest problem is every AMD build ive done in the last 20 odd years has been an unstable piece of **** ^_^ The last AMD card i had ( RMA'd 2 of em ) - 280X was only stable with a -50 underclock on the mem :( This is putting me off big time and while i am tempted i think ill just go with the 9900k or KS :/

I've anecdotally heard systems with AMD CPUs are less stable than systems with Intel CPUs

But is there any evidence to support that?

Caporegime

Ive built many systems over the years , both Intel and AMD...My last previous build was a 9900k overclocked 5ghz all cores and I sold it to play with Ryzen 3000 series...The new build (see sig) has been stable as a rock and cost me a fraction of the cost. Ill be sticking a 3900x into it or even a 3950x

When was your last AMD build?

I'm certainly not regretting selling my 9900k system one bit...

Man of Honour

Agree with easyrider on this, stable is stable, unstable is unstable. My q6600 system overclocked was never all that stable. My 1090t was a solid stable rig and now this one. Uptime speaks for itself. 17 days but I last rebooted for a windows update and had probably a month of uptime before this. I have a game most nights and do all kinds of productivity and work on this machine and it's golden.

Caporegime
actual proper benchmarks from non biased places will show 9900k and 9700k infront of anything amd for gaming.at moment lots of goal post shifting . once enough benchmarks are out hopefully we may get some reasonable pricing. easy sells up when anything is new or about. the problem is this time kinda messed up. the 9900k for gaming is still the best option and...will be for the length of both platforms.

8 cores will be fine for the next 3 years maybe 5 with high oc ipc. if zen isnt quicker in games than the 9900k then its the king for games for its life time and zens. there is already a newer 9900 on the way even quicker. you should have stuck with the 9900k easy.

before this is debated. you lost on selling the 9900k. went to a slower platform. you gunna lose on selling that. then buy again to be slower than what you already had in games. maybe im wrong and its not games you playing..if so then im wrong. would be interesting to know what you upgrading for and why. you dont have to say but its interesting finding the logic behind it.

Soldato
actual proper benchmarks from non biased places will show 9900k and 9700k infront of anything amd for gaming.at moment lots of goal post shifting . once enough benchmarks are out hopefully we may get some reasonable pricing. easy sells up when anything is new or about. the problem is this time kinda messed up. the 9900k for gaming is still the best option and...will be for the length of both platforms.

8 cores will be fine for the next 3 years maybe 5 with high oc ipc. if zen isnt quicker in games than the 9900k then its the king for games for its life time and zens. there is already a newer 9900 on the way even quicker. you should have stuck with the 9900k easy.

before this is debated. you lost on selling the 9900k. went to a slower platform. you gunna lose on selling that. then buy again to be slower than what you already had in games. maybe im wrong and its not games you playing..if so then im wrong. would be interesting to know what you upgrading for and why. you dont have to say but its interesting finding the logic behind it.

It really depends on the use case.

Everything I've seen so far (yes they are AMD's numbers and can be biased) suggests that while Intel may keep the gaming lead, that lead will be less than 5% as an average across a wide range of titles.

It then comes down to your individual use case.

If the only thing you do on your PC is gaming, then something like the 5ghz 9900KS is probably the best choice.

But if you almost literately do anything other than gaming, the higher core count 3900x and 3950x makes for the better buy.

If you already own a 9900k, I would not upgrade unless your use case involves a significant amount of workload tasks AND even then I would not looking at anything other than the 12 and 16 core parts - the 8 core Ryzens make zero sense.

Soldato
Why would someone be a fan of a processor company? I buy the highest performing CPU for my budget and that best meets my needs irrespective of the company.

Back
Top Bottom