would you be happy with this ?

Associate
Recently had notification that the local authority wants too install wired smoke alarms too the flats i live in it's social housing which i don't have a problem with but in order too do the work they want too fit an electrical isolation switch in side the meter cupboard.

Fine but the cupboard is outside the property in the stairwell which means anyone with a 2 quid meter box key could maliciously kill the power too the entire flat.

I'm not happy about this can't be the norm too fit an isolation switch in a unsecured location ? surely they could fit the switch inside the flat.

Last edited:
Associate
It's their property and they want to up the fire protection as tenants usually take the batteries out of normal smoke alarms. This will be a follow on from Grenfell Tower. I don't get the isolation switch though in the meter cupboard as you'll have one on your main board...

Also. To.

Associate
OP
i don't get this either the board was replaced 10 years ago so it's up to date spec, they must have had too switch the power off too the flat somehow when fitting that no isolation switch was needed then.

Soldato
The reintroduction of Isolation switches is now a legal requirement for all social housing projects new or old, so any block of flats will have to have them added if they dont already have them, any house converted to flats will require Isolation switches to be added if they are not already installed.

Energy suppliers now install them for all new supplies, you can also get a sparky to install one at your own cost, or you can request one when you get a meter change from your supplier.

For a social building the meter supply room "Should" be a locked space with limited access, usually the caretaker or building superintendent will have a key, sometimes this is one of the residents.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
right but there most be some-way of isolating the meter already though it's an old style meter with a brown block too the side of it wires come too that then through the wall. that's the bit that is too be replaced.

under the stairs on the ground floor there is a secure walk in cupboard maybe something is in there.

Soldato
right but there most be some-way of isolating the meter already though it's an old style meter with a brown block too the side of it wires come too that then through the wall. that's the bit that is too be replaced.

under the stairs on the ground floor there is a secure walk in cupboard maybe something is in there.
Depends on how old the building is, removing the mains fuse is not a safe way if isolating an individual supply.

Caporegime
Recently had notification that the local authority wants too install wired smoke alarms too the flats i live in it's social housing which i don't have a problem with but in order too do the work they want too fit an electrical isolation switch in side the meter cupboard.

Fine but the cupboard is outside the property in the stairwell which means anyone with a 2 quid meter box key could maliciously kill the power too the entire flat.

I'm not happy about this can't be the norm too fit an isolation switch in a unsecured location ? surely they could fit the switch inside the flat.
I live in a social housing flat a few months ago the housing association fitted wireless smoke alarms in almost every room.
when one goes off they all go off so I guess they connect to each other.

Whys your council insisting on wired smoke alarms when a battery in a wireless one can last for like 10years+?

Weirdly we already had 2 wired smoke alarms anyway that also contain a battery.

is there some new law regarding rented properties and smoke alarms?

No idea about isolation switch, none in my meter cupboard

Soldato
I live in a social housing flat a few months ago the housing association fitted wireless smoke alarms in almost every room.
when one goes off they all go off so I guess they connect to each other.

Whys your council insisting on wired smoke alarms when a battery in a wireless one can last for like 10years+?

Its law for all rented accomodation over a set size to have hard wired alarm systems for both smoke and CO2, the Grenfell incident has highlighted how low standards have been and now everyone is scrambling to make sure as much safety as possible is in place.

Associate
OP
Aye they have done it in my friends flat housing association but they going overboard with the alarms she's got 4 or 5 wired ones in a one bed flat, seems over the top i have a battery powered one the fire brigade fitted years ago in my hallway burnt toast can set that off.

it's part of a electrical upgrade programme they are doing apparently.

Back
Top Bottom