• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
R5 3600 max boost clock is 4.2 GHz. We can estimate from their numbers that PBO lets it get to ~4.4 GHz on a single core. For reference, the i5-9600K should be running at 4.6 GHz on a single core at stock. This result shows a ~12% IPC lead over Coffee Lake in this benchmark.

According to Robert Hallock of AMD, https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/1138789078986502145:
Ryzen doesn't really have a "single core turbo" clock. Our boost algorithm pursues the highest possible clocks on as many cores as possible until you hit some sort of limit: socket power, core temps, VRM electrical limit, VRM thermal limit, max clockspeed, etc.

So fingers crossed it means the +200MHz from PBO on Ryzen 3rd gen will equate to decent multi core boosts.

Associate
So are they going to limit these by a max clock speed depending on what you buy then ?
I assumed he meant the natural upper limit of the chip, but true, it could be read your way. I guess we'll only find out when there are enough CPUs out in the wild and people report their findings.

Soldato
I just want a board with good vrms, pcie4, good cooling and oc's well. I have no need for wi-fi or bits of plastic and I have my sound card for sound.
This is what the Asus X370-PRIME PRO is. A cheap, no-frills X370 motherboard with a good VRM setup. Hopefully something similar will exist among the X570 line-up.

This is the mainstream - the gap on the HEDT platform is going to be embarrassing. I really hope that Intel can respond on 10nm, the competition needs it - and if AMD are now at $750 on their top consumer chip they are going to be able to go to $1500+ on the top TR chips if there is no real competitor up there.
Sounds like wishful thinking to me. When has Intel ever gotten into a price war with AMD? When they've been under the cosh, they've just sailed through it with marketing and anti-consumer practices until they sort their actual products out. Even when Ryzen 1 forced them to finally go beyond 4 cores on their mainstream platform, they didn't lower prices, they actually raised them at each tier. Then the 9th generation comes out and they take HyperThreading away from all but $500 Core i9 chip.

I can see the CPU market going the same way as the GPU market where performance/cost improvements slow down dramatically and instead each company races to introduce new pricing tiers. Oh well, at least we're finally getting more cores and some IPC improvements!

Considering Intel are planning to bring 10nm to desktop eventually with Ice Lake, which'll have IPC improvements to compensate for lower clocks, I'm not even sure they'll bother with a full 10th generation lineup. Maybe they'll just bring out a Core i9-9999K 10c/20t 150 W beast or something that boosts to 5.2 GHz just so they can take back the "gaming crown" for half a year.

Soldato
Holly crap, that's Intel's 18 core...

And thats nothing.... from the article

At E3 this week, AMD announced its high-end consumer CPU for the new Ryzen 3000 series. It said that its own benchmarks show that the 3950X beats Intel’s 9960X, even without Intel’s chips being patched for the latest MDS flaws, which can reduce the performance of Intel’s chips by 10-20%, according to some third-party benchmarks.

Apparently, AMD adidn’t test the new chip on the latest Windows 10 1903, which brings a new scheduler that better handles the intercommunication between the Ryzen CPU Core Complexes (CCXs). Some users have claimed it has increased their CPU’s performance by over 10%, although it’s likely that some use will see a much bigger improvement than others.

Now I see why sour Intel fans are in the Navi discussion where we cannot discuss something constructively before 20 trolls post crap.

Last edited:
Soldato
8c48142b7db85e7552e0e9c0770412405e1e4bf3.png

Zen 3 for You

That's not Zen 3, it's a rotated image of the Zen 2 floor-plan.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
I tried to find charts of tests on Zen and Zen+ for this w10 scheaduler improvement. AMD gives high numbers for loading programs but what is the performance boost for continuous tasks.

If the gains are only for faster ramping up then they will not be equal to general performance uplifts.

I tried to find charts of tests on Zen and Zen+ for this w10 scheaduler improvement. AMD gives high numbers for loading programs but what is the performance boost for continuous tasks.

If the gains are only for faster ramping up then they will not be equal to general performance uplifts.

Not sure, but it sounds like the scheduler / kernel improvements may be tied to the new, yet to be released AMD chipset drivers (and possibly a newer mobo BIOS update could be needed as well, but unconfirmed).

Steve's tests do show margin of error gains for 1903, a couple of frames here and there.
But it's all pretty inconclusive apart from that.

Last edited:
Soldato
When are we getting motherboard prices? It makes no sense they are hiding the prices from us. Zen2 is officially out, AMD have shown prices.
Mobo manufacturers have shown us and announced all the x570 boards. So where are the prices?

Soldato
Stock for the CPU's will be plentiful, much to the annoyance of retailers who'd want to gouge the heck out of it,

It doesn't annoy retailers if they have plenty stock. Their margins are the same if they have much stock or low stock.
Thats the very reason they gouge the hell out of low stock items (e.g. 9900k at launch). So that their overall margins stay the same. The margins must be maintained. Otherwise directors and shareholders start pointing fingers at the management asking why margins and profits have dropped.

Selling 100 at £10 profit is the same as selling only 10 at £100 profit. If Gibbo wants to keep his job then the profits have to hold up. That's why we got presented with £650 9900k's...
I'm sure Gibbo would rather sell 1,000,000 units at low prices to all of us than sell 100 units at very high prices to a few of us only. It's the same profit but it just annoys your customers and you have fewer customers going through your store picking up other incidentals and reading your adverts.

Soldato
It doesn't annoy retailers if they have plenty stock. Their margins are the same if they have much stock or low stock.
Thats the very reason they gouge the hell out of low stock items (e.g. 9900k at launch). So that their overall margins stay the same. The margins must be maintained. Otherwise directors and shareholders start pointing fingers at the management asking why margins and profits have dropped.

Selling 100 at £10 profit is the same as selling only 10 at £100 profit. If Gibbo wants to keep his job then the profits have to hold up. That's why we got presented with £650 9900k's...
I'm sure Gibbo would rather sell 1,000,000 units at low prices to all of us than sell 100 units at very high prices to a few of us only. It's the same profit but it just annoys your customers and you have fewer customers going through your store picking up other incidentals and reading your adverts.

not really , depends on the distributor or if they buy direct from AMD. Intel is a bit different with their channel.

UK distributors , say Spire for ASUS are locked into Prices- regardless is they sell out on a product at launch, they can't raise them to sell onto a reseller. that go ahead must come from asus sales team . Reseller like OCUK, can increase Retail price to reflect supply and demand ! BUT they may then source else were, other means that do have increased price and then this eats into profits.

and they do sell 100 units to use at VERY HIGH PRICES

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £908.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

AMD though doesn't do Tray chips which is a shame !!!!!

and Gibbos smart , hes reputation across vendors is highly respected . Caseking understands that they can make max profit during launches and then it'll die down and reach equilibrium, hence why OCUK/CASEKING buy some of the largest amounts of stock :)
His job aint at risk any time soon haha

Back
Top Bottom