Show Us Your Motors!

Soldato
Couple from the weekend..

a99a7c70221a41789de37a6c31121179.jpg

edcb43475023a7a882f3f175efda518d.jpg

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
You mean it takes absolutely ages to get to 60mph but can do so whilst towing a heavy load?

I know you say that every single time someone uses that phrase, but thinking about it I'm not sure it's meant literally ;)

Trains pull heavy loads very well, so as a turn of phrase if something pulls like a train it could be said it 'pulls' well :)

Soldato
It's a bit of an odd phrase though. We all know what it means, it's just a bit of an odd way of saying it.

It's a bit like "in-gear acceleration". As opposed to.. Acceleration in neutral?

What's wrong with just saying it has loads of mid-range grunt/torque :p

Man of Honour
It's still "in-gear acceleration" whether you put your foot down in 5th or drop down into 3rd and then put your foot down. You might just be nearer the engine's peak powerband in 3rd :p

It seems like an ok one that though as it's about acceleration within a given gear rather than changing.

Soldato
It's a bit of an odd phrase though. We all know what it means, it's just a bit of an odd way of saying it.

It's a bit like "in-gear acceleration". As opposed to.. Acceleration in neutral?

What's wrong with just saying it has loads of mid-range grunt/torque :p

Magazines have always tested both acceleration in a fixed gear, normally in 20mph increments and starting from a low rpm in each gear and the 30-70 increment through the gears so starting in the most sensible gear and changing up as required.

Soldato
Magazines have always tested both acceleration in a fixed gear, normally in 20mph increments and starting from a low rpm in each gear and the 30-70 increment through the gears so starting in the most sensible gear and changing up as required.

I know exactly what it means. It just come across a a bit of a funny phrase to me, much like "sleep like a baby", or the aforementioned "pulls like a train". Anyway let's not clutter this thread up even further. :)

Caporegime
I know exactly what it means. It just come across a a bit of a funny phrase to me, much like "sleep like a baby", or the aforementioned "pulls like a train". Anyway let's not clutter this thread up even further. :)
The one I’ve never understood is “get along like a house on fire”. Is that meant to be a good thing? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom