• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Associate
So now we will have 3 tiers of a card. Base, ti and super. All the more reason for nvidia to keep holding back performance due to lack of competition.

Really rooting for Intel and AMD to get their act together in the gpu department.

I guess I’ll wait for the 3080ti super duper edition sometime late next year.

Soldato
So now we will have 3 tiers of a card. Base, ti and super. All the more reason for nvidia to keep holding back performance due to lack of competition.

Really rooting for Intel and AMD to get their act together in the gpu department.

Probably 3080ti late next year?

Caporegime

I doubt that this Super is really a long term strategy. This is just a mid-life update making use of better yields and faster memory available. Turing has been out nearly a year , and the next gen will be 9-12 months away.

If Nvidia worked like AMD then they would have simply called these the 3070/3080 etc., just like AMD renamed the 480 the 580.

Soldato
I doubt that this Super is really a long term strategy. This is just a mid-life update making use of better yields and faster memory available. Turing has been out nearly a year , and the next gen will be 9-12 months away.

If Nvidia worked like AMD then they would have simply called these the 3070/3080 etc., just like AMD renamed the 480 the 580.

That's a bit strange to say it's only AMD that do it. Nvidia have had many examples of renaming cards that are minimally/not at all different. Like the 8800/9800/GTS 250 and the 480/580 too.

Caporegime
Both companies got greedy tbh. Crypto helped push the idea that cards are expensive... And Halo products like the titan followed by the Ti version that was very close in perf made people believe they were getting bargains for the money. Smart play.
I feel the OG Titan was how NV tested the water with pricing and the scary bit for me is, I paid £850 ish back then for 2 of them and at todays prices, they were a bargain lol. When Lisa Su said "AMD are no longer the budget brand, anyone with sense could see AMD prices competing with NV. I do feel that more and more people will jump ship to console gaming mind and both AMD and NV will shoot themselves in the foot but then again, I know bugger all about running a successful business, so could well be wrong.

Caporegime
That's a bit strange to say it's only AMD that do it. Nvidia have had many examples of renaming cards that are minimally/not at all different. Like the 8800/9800/GTS 250 and the 480/580 too.

And nvidia stopped because they were getting a lot of flack. But whether Nvidia has done it in the past or not doesn;t really mater, the example that AMD simply renamed a complete new series of graphics cards without any changes is a recent and apt example.

Soldato
The 8800/9800 generation were dark days indeed for pc gaming and I do not want to see that again.. The gtx 480 to 580 however was not so bad as I remember it.

The gtx Fermi was hot and thirsty and as I remember it the 580 improved on this significantly

Soldato
I feel the OG Titan was how NV tested the water with pricing and the scary bit for me is, I paid £850 ish back then for 2 of them and at todays prices, they were a bargain lol. When Lisa Su said "AMD are no longer the budget brand, anyone with sense could see AMD prices competing with NV. I do feel that more and more people will jump ship to console gaming mind and both AMD and NV will shoot themselves in the foot but then again, I know bugger all about running a successful business, so could well be wrong.
Maybe consoles would then rocket in price :).
I think it's good that AMD are moving away from their budget image although I thought maybe they'd just have a premium brand to work alongside their more budget ranges. With their CPU's I guess they're catering for all with their new range.
AMD products have often been lacking in one or more areas. WHile this is not always the case, quality products of any kind usually mean a higher price. As AMD especially close in/move ahead of Intel, they can afford to price their products accordingly, while I'm sure they will still price competitively against what Intel offers. Ie, gaming chip of 16 cores for £700(?) is not 2* 9900K price, it's 40% more only.
Time will tell but I don't think AMD need to offer competing products or superior products for a much cheaper price. Doing that hasn't worked well in the past either .I think they've probably already done a lot of market research too on what pricing levels would be sustainable.

Soldato
The 8800/9800 generation were dark days indeed for pc gaming and I do not want to see that again.. The gtx 480 to 580 however was not so bad as I remember it.

The gtx Fermi was hot and thirsty and as I remember it the 580 improved on this significantly
Crysis dropped and we got our 8800gts and gt's it was good, everything else was a shambles tho agree!!

Caporegime

I think people already are jumping ship to consoles, but these are people at the lower budgets anyway. The people that never upgrade their PC and have a 1050/460 GPU that they will keep for 7 years just have no position in PC gaming anymore and have moved to consoles.

Nvidia and AMd have seen that people are willing to pay higher prices for higher end GPUs. Turing might have pushed things too far so we might see the upward trend halt, but I don;t think there will ever be a return to the super cheap GPUs of the past., Not least the R&D and production costs have shot up.

Caporegime

yeah, the 580 was very different to the 480. Big changes to the efficiency and performance. Smae architecture for sure, but gamign experience was different. The Polaris 480 to 580 made no difference, just an overclock.

V F

V F

Soldato

Super sounds so horribly cheesy.

Soldato
Indeed I should have been clearer. The initial 8800gts was amazing (I had anxxx7800gtx at the time and it blew my card out of the water) but it just dragged on... And on... And on
Wasn't a dig at you, I just remember upgrading and going from single figure fps in crysis to very playable at 1280x1024 res with my shiny 8800GTS 320MB, happy days :D

Caporegime
Maybe consoles would then rocket in price :).
I think it's good that AMD are moving away from their budget image although I thought maybe they'd just have a premium brand to work alongside their more budget ranges. With their CPU's I guess they're catering for all with their new range.
AMD products have often been lacking in one or more areas. WHile this is not always the case, quality products of any kind usually mean a higher price. As AMD especially close in/move ahead of Intel, they can afford to price their products accordingly, while I'm sure they will still price competitively against what Intel offers. Ie, gaming chip of 16 cores for £700(?) is not 2* 9900K price, it's 40% more only.
Time will tell but I don't think AMD need to offer competing products or superior products for a much cheaper price. Doing that hasn't worked well in the past either .I think they've probably already done a lot of market research too on what pricing levels would be sustainable.

True that about consoles but isn't it historically consoles sell at a loss/bare minimum profit and make it back on game sales? My memory isn't what it used to be but I am sure that was how it was. And agreed about AMD and pricing strategies. They have certainly given Intel a kick in the bum with their CPU prices/performance and will price accordingly from here on.

I think people already are jumping ship to consoles, but these are people at the lower budgets anyway. The people that never upgrade their PC and have a 1050/460 GPU that they will keep for 7 years just have no position in PC gaming anymore and have moved to consoles.

Nvidia and AMd have seen that people are willing to pay higher prices for higher end GPUs. Turing might have pushed things too far so we might see the upward trend halt, but I don;t think there will ever be a return to the super cheap GPUs of the past., Not least the R&D and production costs have shot up.

I can't see a return to normality pricing either DP. I sure hope I am wrong on that but doubt it.

Soldato
Why would someone who has a 1050 move to console

They would get a reasonable upgrade from buying second hand and beat the console

Those people on a gtx 1050 play at 1080p 60

Yes RTX and Navi is expensive but why on earth would they even want one, RTX and Navi is overkill for 1080p 60hz.

Then we look at consoles, focused on 4K going forward - except the person with a gtx 1050 probably doesn’t own a 4K tv yet

I know this because I have a friend in this same position - they only just upgraded to a rx570 from a 280x. They still rock a i5 2500k and use a 10 year old 32 inch 1080p tv. They’ve never gamed with 4K, HDR or high refresh monitor and it’s not likely they’ll get any of these soon because it’s overpriced for them

Last edited:
Soldato
yeah, the 580 was very different to the 480. Big changes to the efficiency and performance. Smae architecture for sure, but gamign experience was different. The Polaris 480 to 580 made no difference, just an overclock.

Yep, not defending it, and it's actually funny Polaris 580 > 590 was bigger of a boost than a 480 > 580. It's just how companies work sometimes and not just tech companies.

Back
Top Bottom