Do I need help?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Original focus St and the mk3(I think) RS.

I grew up in Mk 1/2 golf GTis and know them like family.

Mk5 Gti and 206gti

Damn that's it.. I always had preference for big cars and much bigger engines

Edit: s2000 count? If only they were cheaper...

Last edited:
Associate
So ditch the run flats and fit decent speakers, got it! ;)

Honestly I'm used to hard rides so that's no problem.

What do you hate about your car and what do you love?

Love:
I love the feel of the steering.
How fun it is to drive
Love the supercharger noise
The handling

Hate:
lack of comfort mode for the longer drives - had a loan car from lohen which was a newer model and had comfort mode which was nice.
the cost of repairs due to how compact the engine is so labour costs are higher
road noise
squeeks and rattles
Impracticality - my needs have changed so will want a bigger car

Soldato
The wife had a Clio 197 which was just about ok for her 20 mile round trip at the time, you wouldn't want to go much further in it.

Not a hatch but I've had a honda integra DC5 so very similar to the EP3, i did 80 miles a day in it for a around 18 months to 2 years i think and i wish i hadn't, again that'd be fine for say a 10 mile each way blast but anything more and it was just noisy, harsh and draining.

The Clio was probably more refined if you can call it that and at least it had cruise for the longer journeys we did do in it.

I'm currently doing my commute in a Suzuki swift sport, i do about 50 miles a day and it's totally the wrong tool for the job we just don't have the money to change it at the moment.

Hot hatches and long commutes - just don't do it :p

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Love:
I love the feel of the steering.
How fun it is to drive
Love the supercharger noise
The handling

Hate:
lack of comfort mode for the longer drives - had a loan car from lohen which was a newer model and had comfort mode which was nice.
the cost of repairs due to how compact the engine is so labour costs are higher
road noise
squeeks and rattles
Impracticality - my needs have changed so will want a bigger car
Thank you :)

Your loves are exactly what I'm after and what has spawned this little love affair.

The hates I understand for comfort and practicality, if you had another big comfy car to swap into when needed would it make them more bearable or does it just get to a point and you're like "that's it, no more" regardless. Especially when it's heavy rain/slow traffic etc.?

Are costs really that high? I'm thinking of just doing it a hit bangernomics style and run it to the ground then buy something else. Is that just a dream and when something goes then that's it, it's done?

In terms of your tuning, do you regret any of them? I'm only considering this if I get the car to around the 6 second mark without compromising too much.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
snip

Hot hatches and long commutes - just don't do it :p
Thanks. I saw a dc5 the other day coincidentally! It led me down a path where I ended up googling Supras for sale!

Fun and commute should go together!

A focus ST would be great as a fun commuter car you can rag to work and back in comfort, but the level of fun is nothing compared to raw, sitting on the floor with your foot fully down shifting through gears whilst feeling that little mmph in the wheel as you clip the white line on an apex type of fun.

I'm bored with comfy.

Soldato
Going out for a hoon in an unrefined car is ace, i loved my DC5 for that but i found after a day in the office especially if it was long or i'd been lugging PC's around all day and was knackered the last thing i wanted was to get in to it. I just wanted to relax on my way home and actually hear the stereo and not be actively avoiding any blemish on the road and buzzing along at 4000rpm almost at the point of needing hearing protection (in fact i did have some in ear hearing protector thing i used in that car) the novelty wore off quickly for me, even then when i was probably only 23 i think at the time, now at 33 it'd be unthinkable!

I went to an Impreza STi after the Teg and while it was a tad more refined i just couldn't continue so i bought a cheap diesel to do the miles in.

Also i found it to be really expensive to run a performance car over that sort of distance, not just fuel which was ruinous in itself but servicing several times a year. plus they're not built to do huge mileage so bushes and whatever else will need doing sooner.

I guess if you don't mind spending your weekends doing it all yourself which is what i did at the time it can be semi affordable but i'd much rather be doing something else.

After getting a commuter car i started to really love the Subaru again, did track days in it and days out. There's no way i'd have kept it for as long as i did if i was using it daily.

Associate
Thank you :)

Your loves are exactly what I'm after and what has spawned this little love affair.

The hates I understand for comfort and practicality, if you had another big comfy car to swap into when needed would it make them more bearable or does it just get to a point and you're like "that's it, no more" regardless. Especially when it's heavy rain/slow traffic etc.?

Are costs really that high? I'm thinking of just doing it a hit bangernomics style and run it to the ground then buy something else. Is that just a dream and when something goes then that's it, it's done?

In terms of your tuning, do you regret any of them? I'm only considering this if I get the car to around the 6 second mark without compromising too much.

As It's my only car at the moment, I wish that I could swap and change.

I'm the only one who drives, so it's really down to me what car I own but we are in the process of buying a house, so any automotive aspirations are being put on hold until next year. Unless I win the lottery.

GF hates it for the same reasons I do - road noise, comfort etc.

The clutch is a bit heavy for stop start traffic in my opinion, but I am used to it.

I haven't really had any issues with the car in heavy rain.

Did struggle in the snow a bit mind :)

Running costs can be a bit eye watering for such a small car. - Aircon on my car has gone, cost of part is £700 plus labour. It's right at the back of the engine from what I understand. Road Tax is expensive due to the recent changes.

Tuning wise I regret nothing. Well worth it, gave it a bit more urgency and as the exhaust needed replacing at the time, it made sense for me to upgrade it. If I get lucky I may eventually buy a second car, use this as a weekend toy, and mod it further. I would definitely upgrade the brakes if you up the power as the stock brakes really don't cut it.

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Running costs can be a bit eye watering for such a small car. - Aircon on my car has gone, cost of part is £700 plus labour. It's right at the back of the engine from what I understand. Road Tax is expensive due to the recent changes.

Tuning wise I regret nothing. Well worth it, gave it a bit more urgency and as the exhaust needed replacing at the time, it made sense for me to upgrade it. If I get lucky I may eventually buy a second car, use this as a weekend toy, and mod it further. I would definitely upgrade the brakes if you up the power as the stock brakes really don't cut it.
Damn, was that at an indy? I think as long as the engine doesn't go pop I can deal with broken air con and other little rattles, suspension and power issues would be dealt with I guess but anything else just left... like a giant crack in a windscreen (which is still there BTW! Haha).

I'm real glad to hear that you don't regret the tuning, it's a big appeal for me as I've never really touched my own cars at all but always wanted a little pocket racer to tinker with, always thought it'd be a supra never a mini hahaha maybe the next one!! :D

How much you think you've spent modding?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
why aren't you using your barge for the 170 mile trip? then buying a weekend car with proper power?

1) A weekend car for me is pointless as I've got two little boys who take up all my time. 99% of my driving is my commute and that's where I'd like to instill fun again.

2) It's not all about power amigo, I owned a 500bhp V10 M5 from the age of 26 to 32 so I have more than enjoyed myself with proper power in an epic drivers car with the hugest, most revviest NA engine I've ever driven at possibly my most lairiest time in my life. That's not what I'm after anymore, well not in this car anyway, I'm after the experience of ragging the **** off something all day everyday until it dies a horrid painful death... but at sensible speeds :D where you can have more fun. Also a tiny little nippy thing with good breaking is much better at dancing in and out of dual carriage way traffic and also the 4 lane smart motorway bit (to a point, but the power/boost will be sufficient).

Man of Honour
This is OCUK surely the answer in this case is MX5?

£3.5k gets you into a early MK3 with reasonable miles.

I think you need your head looking at though, I did my 150 mile round trip commute once in my MX5, on a Saturday so much less than normal traffic found it miserable. It's a somewhat modified MK2 though so much less refined than a stock MK3

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Yes! How has it taken 51 replies to get a mention for the mx5??! For shame, OCUK!

pUqj9Ow.gif
(Edit: I don't think that was the right gif! Hahaha)

Re mk3 mx5 can they be spec'd with cruise/heated seats/decent speakers etc

I will add it to my test drive list which is now up to a total count of 1!I

Last edited:
Caporegime
1) A weekend car for me is pointless as I've got two little boys who take up all my time. 99% of my driving is my commute and that's where I'd like to instill fun again.

2) It's not all about power amigo, I owned a 500bhp V10 M5 from the age of 26 to 32 so I have more than enjoyed myself with proper power in an epic drivers car with the hugest, most revviest NA engine I've ever driven at possibly my most lairiest time in my life. That's not what I'm after anymore, well not in this car anyway, I'm after the experience of ragging the **** off something all day everyday until it dies a horrid painful death... but at sensible speeds :D where you can have more fun. Also a tiny little nippy thing with good breaking is much better at dancing in and out of dual carriage way traffic and also the 4 lane smart motorway bit (to a point, but the power/boost will be sufficient).

Its 170 miles it will become boring very fast.

You think not because you have never driven one over a bumpy road every day.

Never mind 170 miles of road.

If you do get a mini put the smallest wheels possible on it 16's should be the largest you aim for.

Soldato
We had a MK3 2.0 sport MX5 for a few years, the MK3's dont have cruise but the later 3.5's do i think but they may be too expensive for you. Ours had heated leather seats and a very nice Bose sound system, my wife and i both found it made our foot go dead after driving it for more than an hour at a time, otherwise it did cruise along OK. I'd prefer to do bigger mileage in one of them than a hot hatch i think.

It was quite tiring to drive in bad weather or on wet roads as they're quite skittish which is fun for a few minutes but means you have to use quite a lot of concentration to drive one quickly for a long time.

They're very sensitive to tyre choice and wheel alignment, the stock ones are far too high so getting some lowering springs and a good alignment really is a night and day difference, i've never driven another car where it changed it so much.

Soldato
Going to suggest a Z4 3.0i now since an MX5 has been mentioned.

£4k will net you a good car, Straight six noise, fairly comfortable as long as you don't put 19s on it (*cough* like mine has), great performance, lovely handling, You'll get cruise, heated seats and decent sound system as long as you get the 8 speaker dsp option.

Depending if the previous owner has gone over the car with a fine comb it will most likely have a rattley squeeky interior, and the common issues these things get are quite reasonable cost-wise to repair.

Associate
Damn, was that at an indy? I think as long as the engine doesn't go pop I can deal with broken air con and other little rattles, suspension and power issues would be dealt with I guess but anything else just left... like a giant crack in a windscreen (which is still there BTW! Haha).

I'm real glad to hear that you don't regret the tuning, it's a big appeal for me as I've never really touched my own cars at all but always wanted a little pocket racer to tinker with, always thought it'd be a supra never a mini hahaha maybe the next one!! :D

How much you think you've spent modding?
All in I think I've spent about 3k on mods (labour, + cost of parts), I'm not handy with a spanner but wanted to go to a reputable tuner for Mini. Lohen aren't particularly close to me, but it was worth it for the drive back after the work was done. :D

I had other work done at the same time, like engine mount replacements/ suspension bushes as well which took the cost up, but as it was having the work done it made sense to get standard maintenance boxes checked as well.

Soldato
Thread title "Do I need help?"
Answer - Yes :)

The only time I could genuinely say I had 'fun' on a longish commute was the 1000cc sports bikes I used to take in twice a week over summer to alleviate the 120 mile commute boredom..

Everyone is correct in saying the 'fun' will wear off almost immediately and all the obvious short comings will just annoy/irritate to the point you'll just have to be stubborn and pretend it's 'fun' after a week or two!

Saying that, a Suzuki Swift Sport could be an alternative (17K mile ones for £3500) , won't get your licence so easily lost and reviews mention 'fun' several times, and they are cheap/reliable!

Caporegime
Going to suggest a Z4 3.0i now since an MX5 has been mentioned.

£4k will net you a good car, Straight six noise, fairly comfortable as long as you don't put 19s on it (*cough* like mine has), great performance, lovely handling, You'll get cruise, heated seats and decent sound system as long as you get the 8 speaker dsp option.

Depending if the previous owner has gone over the car with a fine comb it will most likely have a rattley squeeky interior, and the common issues these things get are quite reasonable cost-wise to repair.

it's anything but comfortable on even 18's. you need to up tyre sizes on 18's so don't buy OEM sized tyres or go 17's minimum. the 3.0 had the sports suspension so it's like sitting on the ground.

i've owned a mini and a z4. the mini was much more comfortable so long as you had max 17's on it. which is likely the same story for the z4.

both will likely be similar with 17's on them with the z4 useless in heavy rain or a slight bit of snow. i planted my foot in the rain in the z4 once. god my heart nearly exploded. car slid one way then the other whilst trying to go straight.

neither are cars i'd want to do 50 miles daily in never mind 170 miles.

also as soon as he hits some traffic. the car will be drinking petrol like it's going out of fashion. the mpg will be horrific and he's doing circa 45K miles per year.

what he needs is a skoda diesel.

Back
Top Bottom