Completely stuck reinstalling Windows 10

Associate
Hi everyone,

I've been having a very stressful evening. Basically my version of windows has been failing updates for a few months now no matter what. So today I just decided to completely reinstall Windows. However it is not working at all.

Currently I have a SSD and HDD, the HDD has data on and the SSD was my Windows drive.

I currently boot up the PC and then I immediately get the blue screen saying "Recovery. Your PC/device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code 0xc0000225. You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media like a disc or USB device, contact your PC administrator or PC/device manufacturer". Press Enter to try again. Press F8 for startup settings.

However..I cannot use the keyboard to even enter BIOS settings or select any options on this screen. Every time I restart my PC it goes straight to this blue screen and that's it. I am stuck!

I have a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 on it, this is plugged in but the PC does not recognise this.

Could I please get some advice on how to fix this as my PC is completely bust!

Thank you

Soldato
It sounds like you have fast boot enabled, which can be an utter pain for accessing the BIOS! If you press F8 for startup settings, there should be an option to reboot into the BIOS/UEFI I think. Although I can't be sure if it offers you that option in the startup repair! Another option might be to unplug all your drives and see if that lets you get into BIOS.

Associate
OP
Okay used a really old keyboard with PS2 connection that is working. However even with the bootable USB drive I still get this blue screen recovery page.

I can't seem to get past this screen at all! I can access the BIOS now however.

I am currently creating a new USB bootable drive downloading the latest version from the Microsoft website.

This should work right?

Associate
Whilst you're having problems like this, I would NOT connect the HDD with important data at all until you've got a stable system.

So to understand correctly, you managed to complete the Windows 10 re-installation?

Try to isolate the problem by running absolutely bare minimal hardware:
- PSU
- motherboard
- CPU
- 1 stick of RAM
Then see if you can get into BIOS. If you still experience strange behaviour, then try other RAM sticks.

If stable, I'd try an Ubuntu live disk and see if that works fine.

If all still OK, then I'd wonder if the SSD or SATA cable is at fault.

Soldato
if your pc is overclocked roll that back to stock before trying anything else, disconnect the hard drive so as not to confuse the boot order and reinstall windows, if it still fails I would be thinking the SSD may be on the way out or has already died!

Associate
OP
Sorry for the late reply.

So after multiple attempts it finally stopped looping and the latest version of Windows is now installed & updated (Windows 10 Pro, 1903, OS Build 18362.175)

My PC was stuck on a build from late 2017 I think so very outdated!

All is good now, thanks a lot for the help everyone! :)

Back
Top Bottom