• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

V F

V F

Soldato
I think people already are jumping ship to consoles, but these are people at the lower budgets anyway. The people that never upgrade their PC and have a 1050/460 GPU that they will keep for 7 years just have no position in PC gaming anymore and have moved to consoles.

Nvidia and AMd have seen that people are willing to pay higher prices for higher end GPUs. Turing might have pushed things too far so we might see the upward trend halt, but I don;t think there will ever be a return to the super cheap GPUs of the past., Not least the R&D and production costs have shot up.

If they have, why has there been such failure of releases between both companies... 2080 Ti wasn't anything but successful.

Soldato
Why would someone who has a 1050 move to console

They would get a reasonable upgrade from buying second hand and beat the console

Those people on a gtx 1050 play at 1080p 60

Yes RTX and Navi is expensive but why on earth would they even want one, RTX and Navi is overkill for 1080p 60hz.

Then we look at consoles, focused on 4K going forward - except the person with a gtx 1050 probably doesn’t own a 4K tv yet

I know this because I have a friend in this same position - they only just upgraded to a rx570 from a 280x. They still rock a i5 2500k and use a 10 year old 32 inch 1080p tv. They’ve never gamed with 4K, HDR or high refresh monitor and it’s not likely they’ll get any of these soon because it’s overpriced for them

I have a 1050ti hooked up to my 4k 75" display and a 1080ti with an ultra wide on another rig.

I was thinking of upgrading to a new gpu for the 75" but refused to pay nvidias new prices so bought an xbox one x for gaming in the lounge. Gotta say for just over £300 I am very impressed with what the xbox does, that coupled with game pass I am happy with my purchase. The xbox runs very quiet and visuals aren't that far of the pc, some games run at 4k or near it. Games like halo 5, red dead, titanfall 2 etc all look and play very nice.
I also have a ps4 pro for exclusives and games like spiderman, uncharted, god of war look very good.

If PC GPU prices keep the way they are I am going to ditch pc gaming and just stick to consoles, there is no way I am paying upwards of 1k for a top end gpu and I have been buying top end gpus all my life.
There also seem to be less quality games coming out each year, over the last 12 months I have only really enjoyed The division 2 on the pc and one or two VR games on the rift.

Associate
Well we knew they could months ago. I knew this when I saw the efficiency graphs. I mentioned this yesterday in the Navi thread - your high end GPU is usually one of the worst performance per watt cards. But Turing bucked this trend - the 2080ti and Titan RTX is the highest performance per watt card in the Turing line up. This tells us they are still under the design's intended efficiency curve.

tl:dr Nvidia was always holding back with Turing, they never delivered what the cards are really capable of

Yeah makes complete sense.

V F

V F

Soldato
I have a 1050ti hooked up to my 4k 75" display and a 1080ti with an ultra wide on another rig.

I was thinking of upgrading to a new gpu for the 75" but refused to pay nvidias new prices so bought an xbox one x for gaming in the lounge. Gotta say for just over £300 I am very impressed with what the xbox does, that coupled with game pass I am happy with my purchase. The xbox runs very quiet and visuals aren't that far of the pc, some games run at 4k or near it. Games like halo 5, red dead, titanfall 2 etc all look and play very nice.
I also have a ps4 pro for exclusives and games like spiderman, uncharted, god of war look very good.

If PC GPU prices keep the way they are I am going to ditch pc gaming and just stick to consoles, there is no way I am paying upwards of 1k for a top end gpu and I have been buying top end gpus all my life.
There also seem to be less quality games coming out each year, over the last 12 months I have only really enjoyed The division 2 on the pc and one or two VR games on the rift.

Yet just about every multiplayer game these days is Battle Royale. :/

Soldato

Yes but you are relatively rich so your use case is a bit off (the 1050) - most who own one saved for a while to buy it and don’t have that much money

Soldato

If I can do I still use my 2080Ti at a solid 60hz with full hdr, ultra settings on my OLED and it is by far worth the cost for me. Consoles currently you are looking at 30hz or lesser and that to me really does make a difference. Going between the same game on pc and either console you can definitely tell the differences as soon as you start the game.

For that reason they still get used only for exclusives and nothing more.

Sure the likes of switch, ps pro and Xbx are great value, I own all of them. But I still by far prefer what my pc can do and neither of them can replicate 4k 60hz ultra on my 4k tv or high refresh fps gaming with K+M on my monitor.

But yes you are most correct. £1000+ for a GPU is ludicrous and while I have put mine to plenty of good use with hundreds of hours in recent titles. It still is extremely expensive over say a £4-500 1080Ti or by itself a £400 console.

Most 2080Ti owners are still in the minority though.

Man of Honour
No interest from me. Even if it gave 30% + more performance and cheaper. 7nm is where I will be watching or even next gen console with M+KB support

I think it will be like comparing the 2080 Ti to the RTX Titan where the difference is less than 10%.

The RTX Titan is basically the super version of the 2080 Ti with more cores and better memory.

Soldato
I think it will be like comparing the 2080 Ti to the RTX Titan where the difference is less than 10%.

The RTX Titan is basically the super version of the 2080 Ti with more cores and better memory.
Titan RT gaming performance, minus the useless extra memory (for gaming) for £1300-£1500 :p. Comparable bargain….when people look at the price of the Titan RT. At £1099 demand would be high, even for just the 10% extra performance.

Caporegime
If they have, why has there been such failure of releases between both companies... 2080 Ti wasn't anything but successful.

Because the increases in performance between fabrication processes is getting smaller.

And this is weird logic. Tryiung to claim reduced performance increases is proof that R&D is not increasing.

Nvidia's R&D is not a secret, it is public information that the world can see.
https://ycharts.com/companies/NVDA/r_and_d_expense

nvidia are paying $700m a quarter, double what it was a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom