• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Polaris RX 480 Owners Thread.

Associate
Hi guys, I have a problem and maybe someone here can help me.
I have a Sapphire RX480 Nitro+ OC 4GB. I was using the boost profile (the card has dual bios, silent and boost) and I noticed that the card wasn't reaching the regular 1306 MHz clock at load, but something like 1230. I tried everything (restart and switching the bios, then restart and switch to boost again, uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, uninstalled MSI AB). I then decided to flash the bios using the one of an identical card, downloaded from techpowerup.
I used atiwinflash and the flash went fine, restarted the pc and started furmark, but the problem was still there. The case is very cool inside, so I don't understand what caused that.
I then decided to flash the bios with the one of a Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX580. This is something that I was curious to do anyway, so I did it, unfortunally.
The procedure went fine apparently. But at the restart I had no video signal, no bios post and the monitor didn't turn on.
I guess I've corrupted the bios (the boost one).
I switched to the silent bios and the gpu works.

Now, in the past I modded the bios of some nvidia cards with a single bios, but I did the flash via boot, using nvflash. So I wasn't new to this stuff.
I think that the corrupted bios can be recovered with another flash, but it seems that with this card I was supposed to flash the Silent bios and not the Boost one, in order to be able to fix the problem.
Is that right?
What can I do to fix the Boost bios without bricking also the working one?
I have a cpu and a motherboard that don't have an integrated gpu and I don't have a second gpu to use for the procedure, but only the 480.

Have a look at this vid by Buildzoid it may help?

Associate
Have a look at this vid by Buildzoid it may help?
Thanks a lot mate, problem solved. :)
I knew that procedure, but I wasn't sure if it was safe for the card to switch the bios while in Windows. He did exactly that and explained that is safe because the bios is read only once after the system starts. I now have back the two working bios.
Thanks again.

Associate
Those cards have a nice cooler. I know my 480 gaming x 8gb never went above it's temp target during gaming sessions (75c iirc). How is your case cooling?

*just checked the date of your post hope you got it sorted :p

Case is Phanteks Entho glass edition so not the best airflow, two of the included fans at front and 1 at the back.

Noticed in the AMD Crimson that max temp was something like 90 as default for some reason so I dropped it to 80 and set target to 75 with no negative performance hit so seems all good now :)

Soldato
Thanks a lot mate, problem solved. :)
I knew that procedure, but I wasn't sure if it was safe for the card to switch the bios while in Windows. He did exactly that and explained that is safe because the bios is read only once after the system starts. I now have back the two working bios.
Thanks again.

have you tried increasing the power target? might fix your boost problem..

Permabanned
Hi, I bought an RX 480 Red Devil on the MM a few months back and apart from a weeks use when I first got it its been in the cupboard as a back-up card. I recently sold my Vega card and planned to use this Powercolor 480 for the time being but it does not appear to like long gaming sessions and frequently crashes the whole PC making it turn off. I've had a look at the clock settings in Radeon settings and one peculiar thing I've noticed it that at stock clocks for this card the Voltage is higher for state 6 than it is for state 7, That's 1162 mv and 1150 mv respectively.

Has anyone got a Powercolor 480 Red Devil that they can check for me please and any thoughts on what's up would help. Cheers.

This is what's showing

isAVm4e.png

Soldato
Hi, I bought an RX 480 Red Devil on the MM a few months back and apart from a weeks use when I first got it its been in the cupboard as a back-up card. I recently sold my Vega card and planned to use this Powercolor 480 for the time being but it does not appear to like long gaming sessions and frequently crashes the whole PC making it turn off. I've had a look at the clock settings in Radeon settings and one peculiar thing I've noticed it that at stock clocks for this card the Voltage is higher for state 6 than it is for state 7, That's 1162 mv and 1150 mv respectively.

Has anyone got a Powercolor 480 Red Devil that they can check for me please and any thoughts on what's up would help. Cheers.

This is what's showing

I have a 580 red devil and the last 4 stats are 1150mv. I had to send my first card back because it kept losing connection on the display port randomly in game, and hence re-arrange the windows, but the card never crashed.

Not sure what to suggest, but maybe a DDU and re-install drivers incase something is still set for the vega - probably won't work but has been known.

Permabanned
I have a 580 red devil and the last 4 stats are 1150mv. I had to send my first card back because it kept losing connection on the display port randomly in game, and hence re-arrange the windows, but the card never crashed.

Not sure what to suggest, but maybe a DDU and re-install drivers incase something is still set for the vega - probably won't work but has been known.

It seems odd that the voltage was higher for state 6, I suppose I should contact the gent who sold it to me on the MM and ask if he had put a custom bio's on it and why, I'll give a DDU a try first, Cheers

Associate
It seems odd that the voltage was higher for state 6, I suppose I should contact the gent who sold it to me on the MM and ask if he had put a custom bio's on it and why, I'll give a DDU a try first, Cheers

If you download GPU-Z and dump the bios, then load it into Polaris Bios Editor, under the GPU section for voltages if the voltages are all set auto they will be high numbers in the 65000 range. If any of the P-States has a low number in it which represents the voltage then it's been hardwired afaik. (The lowest P-State is always hardwired, so ignore that one.)

Permabanned
If you download GPU-Z and dump the bios, then load it into Polaris Bios Editor, under the GPU section for voltages if the voltages are all set auto they will be high numbers in the 65000 range. If any of the P-States has a low number in it which represents the voltage then it's been hardwired afaik. (The lowest P-State is always hardwired, so ignore that one.)

I'll have a look at this today, Thanks.

Soldato
Shocked that this still ran so well when there's practically no paste left! Now it struggles to even go past 70° C (even oc!). And boy do I love how easy it was to disassemble especially the removable fans are suu-weeet. Without a doubt the GTR 480 has been XFX's best card.

RkW4YrG_d.webp

899zzuy_d.webp

Soldato
I did my reference one a couple months back. New paste and thermal pads. So much quieter now!
The upgrade itch is real, but I'm holding out for the next generation's mid range.

RX480 8gb has been one of the best GPUs in my card history. Usually I'd not have something this old in my main setup, but there hasn't been good enough reason to buy anything else.

Soldato
I did my reference one a couple months back. New paste and thermal pads. So much quieter now!
The upgrade itch is real, but I'm holding out for the next generation's mid range.

RX480 8gb has been one of the best GPUs in my card history. Usually I'd not have something this old in my main setup, but there hasn't been good enough reason to buy anything else.

Yup, holding out for the next-gen also, though I did have a Vega until recently. It's funny but in many ways the experience isn't that different with the 480, even though that was 60% faster or something. I ended up keeping this one just because it was going for too little on the used market and figured I really like it and who knows maybe it will come in handy one day. And it did. :D

Soldato

Yep still running an RX480 and it's been a great card for me. Not looking to upgrade just no either tbh.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
My old Nitro OC RX480 8Gb is still going strong in my kids PC.

Soon to be upgraded though if the next gen cards turn out to be worth buying, then the kids will get my hand me down GPU.

Back
Top Bottom