• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
It doesn't annoy retailers if they have plenty stock. Their margins are the same if they have much stock or low stock.

Obviously selling more with less profit is fine, but when you've not got an advantage over your competitors then you lose sales to those competitors and thus lose profit.

Thats the very reason they gouge the hell out of low stock items (e.g. 9900k at launch). So that their overall margins stay the same.

There was no margin protection happening during the 9900K fiasco of a launch, that was pure profiteering based on stock availability, and taking advantage of being in a position having items in stock. The margin for the CPU's is not lower now than it would have been if there was plentiful stocks of the 9900K at launch, since that is determined at the point of purchase from the distributor. If they chose to buy from grey markets, and 3rd party distributors at higher costs on order to hold stock then obviously they will put the price up, but the vast majority would have been sold with much, much bigger margins that normal.

Soldato
They do plenty of tray stock, but they are no where near as common in EU/EMEA as in the Asian markets, getting OEM tray parts from Taiwanese suppliers is pretty easy, but there isn't a great deal of cost saving if you are just buying a few. :)

ah, surprising Caseking hasn't gone in on them due to having 4 countries under their belt now- should have the buying power for LARGE stock amounts. then again, AMD prob can squeeze more out of us Westerners lol

Associate
Quick question, I have a 7700K atm and will be moving to the 380X or 3900X on release, will I be better off buying a high end X470 boards like Asus Hero or should I go for a X570 Strix (due to price).

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Quick question, I have a 7700K atm and will be moving to the 380X or 3900X on release, will I be better off buying a high end X470 boards like Asus Hero or should I go for a X570 Strix (due to price).

Think its better to wait until its released and tests have been done. And depending on what you need, you can decide then

GAC

GAC

Soldato
AMD is releasing the new 7nm CPU's on the 7/7 so it's less then a month away :)
The first reviews should also come out around that time.

reviews will probably hit 7th july at 1300 gmt or there abouts seems to be the way they go with release times all on pacific time because reasons.

Soldato
finally had some time to read through details

This time, AMD recommends 3600MHz memory with CL16 timing, as this offers an ideal price/performance ratio. With their next-generation processors, faster memory speeds will be possible, but only when AMD shifts their Infinity Fabric to DDR memory ratio to 2:1 mode, slowing down Infinity Fabric speed to enable increased memory performance.

With Ryzen 3rd Gen, AMD has showcased memory speeds of over 4000MHz, but only speeds of up to 3733MHz were possible in 1:1 mode. Depending on your specific use case, you may prefer higher infinity fabric speeds to higher raw memory speeds. The slide below notes that 3733MHz memory speeds at CL17 timings offer optimal memory latency characteristics.

im guessing, those on 8/6 cores and single chiplets may go for 2:1 ratio. No need for Infinity fabric ( as much) and op for the higher ram speed. were as 12/16 core uses may wish to keep infinity fabric speed as high as possible, though 3733! is nothing to scoff at :D

@tamzzy @Plec , swayed you any more?

reviews will probably hit 7th july at 1300 gmt or there abouts seems to be the way they go with release times all on pacific time because reasons.

always stated 2PM GMT for their NDAs but seems they all come out at 1pm pmsl.

just realised 7th is Sunday... normally Tuesday/Thursday are they days they have launched if i can recall. odd for a Sunday launch

Soldato
16 threads destroying Intel's 8 in per/w.

$

Soldato
im guessing, those on 8/6 cores and single chiplets may go for 2:1 ratio. No need for Infinity fabric ( as much) and op for the higher ram speed. were as 12/16 core uses may wish to keep infinity fabric speed as high as possible, though 3733! is nothing to scoff at :D
Infinity fabric is needed for inter-CCX communication on a single die too. I would imagine speeds beyond 3733 MT/s will either hurt performance or provide very diminishing returns. Hoping to get 3600 MT/s with decent latency myself. :D

Associate

I decided that for mainstream purposes and the level of GPU power i am using now + possible upgrade in the future i won't need PCIe 4 in the next few years.
So went ahead and picked the best in my opinion x470 that i wanted. (Taichi x470)

Reasons against X570 in my checklist
1. Higher price due to the new chipset being more costly and produced by AMD that will ad even higher premium since they are not making it.
2. PCIe-4 will require better transport to the PCIe slots and m.2 slots for even higher price.
3. Cooling solution required for the x570 chip that will not only add to the price further but also could add to maintenance later - 1 extra fan that can fail at some point and will add to noise meanwhile

In addition B570 boards will not be out on Ryzen 2 release date so many people that want to get Ryzen2 will either be forced into X570 or will start picking x470 boards and at that moment supply of x470 could be running low and i might be unable to find what i need on a reasonable price.

Soldato
Though with the increased bandwidth...looks like latency suffers due to the 2:1 divider. Need to see reviews how this impacts real world tests...

The new feature allows you to override the default boost clock by up to +200MHz, in addition to expanded TDC/EDC/PPT limits. The CPU will self-manage from there using its built-in boost and clock management programming.

Ryzen doesn’t really have a “single core turbo” clock. Our boost algorithm pursues the highest possible clocks on as many cores as possible until you hit some sort of limit: socket power, core temps, VRM electrical limit, VRM thermal limit, max clock speed, etc

right, guessing why we are seeing dual 8 pins being through in and 12+ phases lol .... sounds like, if you want ryzen to auto clock its self, to the best of its ability... by the best board you can afford .. @Plec best dig deep for that Xtreme them mate ....

Back
Top Bottom