• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen2. Is Intel now the gamers choice & price/perf king?

Associate
Even an RTX 2080 Ti wouldn't be bottlenecked much by PCIe 2.0, PCIe 4.0 is certainly not necessary for GPUs right now. You're just making stuff up.

Well apparently from what i have read..

If your going to run nvme m.2. in raid your going to need that pci 4 i think correct me if wrong and that is the only reason to want pcie 4.0.

As well as being future proof but when the am4 socket is dead i don't think we will need pcie 4.0 for graphics cards at all.

I have no need for nvme m.2. because games won't use nvme m.2. to it's full potential so i am using a 2tb ssd as my main hdd.

nvme m.2. vs ssd there is little difference regarding game loading times.

Operating system boot up times is another factor though and i think nvme m.2. won't be limited but actually used to its full potential.

So yea from what i know raid nvme m.2. is not bottlenecked with well motherboards that support thread ripper you see, so for some people that pci-4.0, is needed that is if they are not going with thread ripper 3rd edition but a bog standard 3000/x series processor so they will need the x570 motherboards.

Dan.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Even an RTX 2080 Ti wouldn't be bottlenecked much by PCIe 2.0, PCIe 4.0 is certainly not necessary for GPUs right now. You're just making stuff up.

2080 Ti is a videocard designed around the specification of 3.0. Any comparison with it is illegal.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/06/11/amd-navi-rx-5700-xt-rx-5700-price-release-date-specs/
They’re going to be the world’s first gaming GPUs to support the super fast PCIe 4.0 standard as well, which massively increases the amount of bandwidth available to your graphics card from your motherboard. You’ll need a PCIe 4.0 motherboard to take advantage of it, of course, but it will likely be the only way to make the most of what AMD’s offering with their new Navi GPUs.

Associate
Personally won't be buying Intel for a long time and everyone who values competition should do the same. If you really don't have the budget for Zen2, Zen+ CPUs and B450/X470 boards will still be around for a few months at least, by the time they clear all the stock the Zen2 CPUs will have dropped in price.

Soldato
Personally won't be buying Intel for a long time and everyone who values competition should do the same. If you really don't have the budget for Zen2, Zen+ CPUs and B450/X470 boards will still be around for a few months at least, by the time they clear all the stock the Zen2 CPUs will have dropped in price.

Just be aware you'll need a way of updating the bios before slapping a ryzen 3000 in

Soldato
2080 Ti is a videocard designed around the specification of 3.0. Any comparison with it is illegal.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/06/11/amd-navi-rx-5700-xt-rx-5700-price-release-date-specs/
They’re going to be the world’s first gaming GPUs to support the super fast PCIe 4.0 standard as well, which massively increases the amount of bandwidth available to your graphics card from your motherboard. You’ll need a PCIe 4.0 motherboard to take advantage of it, of course, but it will likely be the only way to make the most of what AMD’s offering with their new Navi GPUs.
Illegal? I am not sure it is.

PCIe 4.0 only becomes a factor at 8K or above. Current games don't even saturate PCIe 3.0 x4 at 4K. If you are running 4K HDR at 144 Hz it just edges into the bandwidth of PCIe 3.0 x8. PCIe 4.0 on 1440p cards is pointless. Seems like someone swallowed a pile of marketing guff.

Soldato
I'll be interested to see if the motherboards drop in price after a while - I imagine the manufacturers all have some x470 etc to shift which are going to be a very hard sell to anyone if x570 is in the same ball park cost wise.... even someone picking up 2000 series ryzen would likely buy an x570 for future proofing if the prices were similar.

I know there are premiums associated with the PCB quality, chipset and re timers etc, so of course I don't see them dropping down to x470 levels but I do think there might be an extra premium there to help shift the old stock and take advantage of the relatively high number of less price sensitive early adopters.

Will be interesting to compare prices by end of year. CPUs too as to me it looks like AMD has left a fair bit of wiggle room for a price war if intel responds... but given intel doesn't generally do such things maybe they'll just keep raking in at their higher margin.

Soldato
AMD might have closed the gap to Intel even with current Gen Ryzen cpu's. Seen this posted over in the gpu section. Big uplift in Score, Physics and combined. Will be interesting to see if any big sites pick up on this and do some testing.

Huge performance increase with AMD cpus after W10 1093 update,

FS Before the update
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/19486960
Physics Score
19 403
Combined Score4
4 894

FS after 1903
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/36730713?
Physics Score
21 275
Combined Score
8 518

P.S. new driver avaliable for the card, 19.6.1

Permabanned
AMD might have closed the gap to Intel even with current Gen Ryzen cpu's. Seen this posted over in the gpu section. Big uplift in Score, Physics and combined. Will be interesting to see if any big sites pick up on this and do some testing.

I feel higher responsiveness of my notebook with a 5 2500U. I don't know what causes it, might be because all updates are installed and the system is in cycles where I do only routine processes...
Also, the CS: Source at 3840x2160 is more smooth and now quite noticeable screen tearing appeared for me, too.

Soldato

According to which law this is illegal?
Dude please take a break from this forums until you calm down. You are toxic writing crap on all discussions on all segments.

Soldato
Looks like this uplift is only in 3dMark and not any real apps yet. It could well be down to a bug in 3dMark. Speculation is that new chipset drivers will be required before the Windows kernel changes will kick in.

Permabanned
Looks like this uplift is only in 3dMark and not any real apps yet.

There are performance improvements across the board - PCMark 10 and Rocket League being examples on the slide: https://www.extremetech.com/computing/293018-how-amds-zen-2-architecture-boosts-performance-per-watt

16beceq.jpg

Soldato
Permabanned
What exactly does "ZEN" mean?

"ZEN" means all Ryzen CPUs and APUs launched to date.
I explained already in a previous comment:

I feel higher responsiveness of my notebook with a 5 2500U. I don't know what causes it, might be because all updates are installed and the system is in cycles where I do only routine processes...
Also, the CS: Source at 3840x2160 is more smooth and now quite noticeable screen tearing appeared for me, too.

Caporegime
I see the Op's point somewhat.

Zen 2 doesnt look like the absolute game changer that some rumours made it out to be. I think we were all quietly hoping the top end $499 part was going to be a 5ghz 16 core chip (come on, you know you were keeping fingers crossed for that :p).

Unfortunately AMD have taken things a bit more conservatively and have no doubt "sandbagged" things a bit. I cant see any reason why they couldn't have made the 16 core chip an opening release at the top price point, other than the fact that it would have taken them too far ahead of Intel in price per core/performance.

The 3000 series undoubtedly looks good and the 3900x especially looks like a better buy than anything Intel have at around that price range.

You cant help but think about what could have been though :p. A ~£500 16 core/32 thread on release would have been quite something. We would then have been talking about 12 core 3700's and 8 core 3500's. That would have really walloped Intel and made anything they have on sale defunct.

Back
Top Bottom