Petrol station

Caporegime
All the Shell garages that I use all have short reach and some people are idiot and don't pay attention that there is one available in front and cba to manoeuvre around.

I tried pull the short hose at Shell once, but it recoiled back really sharp and the force yanked the sprout thing out of my hand and almost hitting the car.

Soldato
This, and also the selfish c-words who don't wait that extra 30 seconds for the person in front to get back to their car from paying so that they can move to the front pump rather then jump straight on to the empty pump and block off an empty pump for the duration of their fill up.

Usually there's room in between both sides to make it to the front pump. Although there is a place in hell for people who park miles away and block that off!

Soldato
I always giggle at the people who are already queuing when I arrive, I go straight to an empty bay fill up, and I'm off and they're still queuing :D

I tend to fill up at Shell and I've yet to find a hose that's dirty or that wont reach.

Soldato
I fill up at Costco at 6am 90% of the time I'm the only one there. It's like heaven, no waiting, especially no waiting for those people that do a bit of shopping while paying.
It's all pay at the pump as well, it's how all fuel stations should be.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I never understand people that wait, i have driven all sizes of cars and even a full size Range Rover has no issues ever with the pipe reaching to the far side. Just park infront of the desired pipe and it goes around the back easily on every car.

Soldato
I use either being in a smaller car but some of the pumps I've used that isn't my local Shell don't have much length to pull it to the 'wrong side'. Once they've had newer pumps installed they appear to have been designed with upto 3m reach.

Caporegime
I must admit that I do this. I cba with wrangling the hose around to the other side of the car, and my time isn't so precious that I can't wait 45 seconds. :p

That said, not all pumps have long reach hoses. The local Tesco filling station has two rows of long reach hoses and the other 5 or 6 rows are short and you would struggle to get to the filler cap on the other side.

Soldato
Park so the hose is in line with the rear bumper (and closer to pump), walk backwards straight with the hose behind car, move desired length along hose to bend so the nozzle can reach the filler. Fill up car without hose ever touching car. Get lots of angry looks from people queuing because they are too stubborn to realise they can use both sides.

Soldato
Park so the hose is in line with the rear bumper (and closer to pump), walk backwards straight with the hose behind car, move desired length along hose to bend so the nozzle can reach the filler. Fill up car without hose ever touching car. Get lots of angry looks from people queuing because they are too stubborn to realise they can use both sides.
This!

Caporegime

It depends if the car in front left enough room for you to move that far forward.

Associate
The few times i have tried despite parking as close as possible only once would it reach and it was not fully inserted so i gave up trying and just wait, Sadly this is just another punishing fact of owning a zafira.

Soldato
I once managed to get the nozzle stuck in the fuel filler because it was so tight from being pulled across :o It did come out eventually but I had visions of the hose coming off the pump from me having to pull it so hard and me featuring on the next episode of "Caught on Camera" from the CCTV footage :o. I've also been swiped by a car squeezing down the middle of the lanes so I'm a waiter these days.

Not a problem at all at my local Shell because the lanes are 1 car wide with a pump on either side so only the two end lanes have the possibility of having to pull the hose across.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Indeed, as i mentioned above, i have never been to a pump which couldnt reach even a full size Range Rover on the "wrong side". There is no way that it wont reach on something like a Zafira :p

Soldato
At half the stations round here, your front bumper would now be blocking the exit route for up to 11 cars and two HGVs... well done.

Are you driving a stretch limousine, or is Reading just blighted by particularly badly designed forecourts?
I've parked at hundreds of pumps with the back of the car level with the hose to make it easier to pull around the car - not once do I recall ever being close to having the front of the car protruding enough to be an obstruction, even in the larger of our two cars (and yes, not being ignorant, I do check).

Back
Top Bottom