Over 75s now pay for TV license

Man of Honour
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48607896

Ben Fogle has donated salary to help these poor pensioners, the very same people who voted on mass for Brexit and its collapse of the UK economy and individual wealth for the younger generations for decades to come.

That was nice of Mr. Fogle, but I, 79, and my friends, 77 and 86,
voted Remain, are we exempt from your disappointment?
And not for nothing, but it’s en masse, not on mass.

Caporegime
You can't criticize me for not providing evidence, and then say "the fact is" twice in your post without giving any evidence yourself.

Perhaps, but i'm making a general statement on the viability of the business, which anyone with some basic economic's can see is clearly in the toilet while the demographics move closer to the grave and further into other services that provide better programs (bar Attenborough's stuff).

This is completely untenable at current rates the cost would balloon to £1.2-3 billion and the proposed rate crudely using current numbers the BBC provide would still cost ~£500 million regardless, and that's just with today's money... accounting for 20 years inflation would mean another ~£700 million (~£1.9 billion) a year by 2039, it's absolutely not on, if another government agency were asked to pony up this money it would be on the head of the minister in charge... the BBC doesn't deserve this flak at all.

There's going to be some sacrifices for the future elderly simply because the country cannot afford it, such selfishness is uncouth.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I always thought you were around 50.

After a lifetime of hedonism, and litres of premium vodkas, I’m surprised that I’m neither dead, nor resemble Keith Richards, but somehow I’m relatively unscathed, a few lines, (the wrinkle type), around my eyes, all my own teeth, bar one implant, and all my own hair, just not as thick as it was, and totally grey.

Soldato
After a lifetime of hedonism, and litres of premium vodkas, I’m surprised that I’m neither dead, nor resemble Keith Richards, but somehow I’m relatively unscathed, a few lines, (the wrinkle type), around my eyes, all my own teeth, bar one implant, and all my own hair, just not as thick as it was, and totally grey.

You ******* champion :D

Soldato
I did not say me I said everyone including you. Read better to what I said. Not being derogatory just understand what I said.

Everyone would have to include you too.

I did read what you said, there was nothing in your post that excluded you.

So again how it is unfair on you?

Associate
I have been debating stopping paying for a few years.
I myself dont watch TV. The only person who does, is my wife, and she only ever watches Emmerdale or Corrie last thing at night when she gets the time to sit down, and both of those are not BBC and both of those are not LIVE.

My kids are 20, 20, and 21 and my daughter never cares for TV, my youngest son only ever watches movies and my eldest son has a netflix account.

We genuinnely dont need a TV Licence, and the ONLY reason why I have kept on paying it, is because we just always have paid it, plus I have enjoyed BBC Comedy over the years such as Red Dwarf, BlackAdder, Young Ones, Monty Python and on and on and on, plus the documentaries such as Trials of Life, Blue Planet and so on, are absolutely unbeatable in my opinon, and for those 2 reasons, I have paid it.

But this is now the straw that broke the camels back.

I am writing a letter to the BBC and I will openly invite them into my house as I am going to fully remove any chance of us getting the TV Signal. We told Sky to get lost about a year ago, and now its the BBC's turn.

Its not like we cannot afford it.... Its about a tenner a month and I probably throw that away in the number of times I tell people to keep the change when I go shopping, but itst he principle of it all... over 75's to pay the TV Licence? Utterly disgusting.

You have clearly missed the scam the government has played here. They promised free tv licenses for over 75s then passed an impossible decision to the BBC. This was an ultimatum about which ear to cut off with their own knife, 30% of their own budget on an already cash strapped business which has basically sold off all its assets and had massive rounds of redundancy is simply not feasible.

The blame for this 100% lies with the government, the BBC did the fairest thing in the circumstances.

Caporegime
Charging pensioners is just a band aid for a dying business.

Why won't gov accept there are only a few courses of action:

Unfair - bundle into tax as obviously its obviously as important as the NHS lol

End it. But what about jobs/pensions

Allow adverts an let it fund itself. Some sort of gradual transition ideally

Seriously cut the big budget shows Drive costs down to prolong the life of it

Combine cutting with adverts is only way apart from unfair taxing. It's on its last legs . Let it go.

Don
Don't really see a problem with this, by and large the idea that pensioners paid enough into the system doesn't stand up to scrutiny - it's workers today paying for pensioners health care, state pensions and all the other subsidies they enjoy such as fuel allowances. If it makes economic sense to means test it and on the face of it since it'll be tagged onto already means tested benefits it should cost next to nothing to implement.

Soldato
The BBC is such an old model now it needs to change. The alternatives are better and cheaper without needing public funds or bullying old people. They don't have a monopoly anymore.

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48607896

Ben Fogle has donated salary to help these poor pensioners, the very same people who voted on mass for Brexit and its collapse of the UK economy and individual wealth for the younger generations for decades to come.
Mr Fogle said his late grandparents "loved the BBC" and "would have been lost without it in their twilight years".
Even he has said something that means the times has changed now (back in his late grandparents twilight years ;))

Back
Top Bottom