• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Soldato
Before the Zenimax takeover, I'd agree but they are no longer the great id Software they used to be.

Based on the performance of Doom, as well as the other games using id engine tech (Wolfenstein), I'd say they're still great. Besides, the new guy from Crytek, Tiago Sousa, is very much on the level of Carmack. They're in great hands.

DOes RTX run on vulkan? or only dx12 because Doom eternal vulkan rtx would be the perfect combination for high fps and resolution

It will in Doom Eternal. Afaik they have not announced a change to DX12, so I don't see why it wouldn't remain entirely with Vulkan. Especially given that changing to DX12 wouldn't be a walk in the park, and for what?

Soldato
Yes but you are relatively rich so your use case is a bit off (the 1050) - most who own one saved for a while to buy it and don’t have that much money

Fair enough mate, I just thought I would pitch in as I had a 1050Ti. I think there are a fair few out there that wont buy second hand hardware as you suggest and for what ever reason and will be pushed to consoles.

I don't really understand this. If you don't see the value/cant afford/whatever other reason a £1k top end GPU, put still like using a PC, stick to the 2nd tier GPUs - they will still outperform consoles. Not that consoles are bad... it is purely a form factor preference at this point.

I can easily afford the 1k plus gpus, but I think that nvidia are taking the **** and I refuse to spend what they are asking for their current gen of gpus. Where does their constant price hikes stop, there has to come a point where as a consumer we say no and enough is enough. I have reached that point.

From here on in I will just keep my 1080Ti and if sense doesn't get knocked back into the market I wont upgrade my gpu and instead when the next gen of consoles come out I will move over to that as my main source of gaming (assuming they better my current setup). I will be buying a PS5 and next gen Xbox regardless as I like the exclusives, but instead of them being a secondary gaming system they will become my primary.

Man of Honour
DOes RTX run on vulkan? or only dx12 because Doom eternal vulkan rtx would be the perfect combination for high fps and resolution

Quake 2 RTX uses Vulkan and AFAIK uses the hardware in Turing as the performance boost over Pascal is significant - I've not actually checked but I'll have a dive in the source later.

Soldato
Fair enough mate, I just thought I would pitch in as I had a 1050Ti. I think there are a fair few out there that wont buy second hand hardware as you suggest and for what ever reason and will be pushed to consoles.

I can easily afford the 1k plus gpus, but I think that nvidia are taking the **** and I refuse to spend what they are asking for their current gen of gpus. Where does their constant price hikes stop, there has to come a point where as a consumer we say no and enough is enough. I have reached that point.

From here on in I will just keep my 1080Ti and if sense doesn't get knocked back into the market I wont upgrade my gpu and instead when the next gen of consoles come out I will move over to that as my main source of gaming (assuming they better my current setup). I will be buying a PS5 and next gen Xbox regardless as I like the exclusives, but instead of them being a secondary gaming system they will become my primary.
I agree sony have some great exclusives (and is why I have a PS4 pro) but tbh I don't see the point of anyone with a high end pc buying an Xbox. Xbox is now more than just a console it is a platform and we (mostly) have access to it if we have a windows high end pc. I honestly do not see the next gen Xbox having much on a pc with 1080ti (raytracing ... I will give it that)

Soldato

Yes, RTX runs on Vulkan. Or more specifically, The Vulkan API can call in Nvidia's RTX using an extension when it detects Ray Tracing hardware. Or software Ray Tracing if there is a software fallback path.

Soldato
RTX is Nvidia's closed ecosystem for ray-tracing. On Vulkan and DX it will be something else and supported by everything.

What are you talking about? Of course RTX is closed for Nvidia, it's software designed only for NVidia's GPUs, it wouldn't work on AMD's hardware. Just like AMD's drivers are closed, they wouldn't work on Nvidia's hardware. Both Vulkan and Dx12 can make use of whatever hardware AMD or Nvidia have available for Ray Tracing.

AMD just have to create their own API for Dx12 or Vulkan to call when playing a Ray Traced game.

Soldato
What are you talking about? Of course RTX is closed for Nvidia, it's software designed only for NVidia's GPUs, it wouldn't work on AMD's hardware. Just like AMD's drivers are closed, they wouldn't work on Nvidia's hardware. Both Vulkan and Dx12 can make use of whatever hardware AMD or Nvidia have available for Ray Tracing.

AMD just have to create their own API for Dx12 or Vulkan to call when playing a Ray Traced game.

Nope, the standard directX and vulkan implementations of RT are an open platform. "RTX" follows the same path as PhysX and Gsync being part of Nvidia's ecosystem and requires their hardware, which is why it will also eventually die.

Ray-tracing is normally software based and that is probably going to be the route AMD take.

Soldato
I agree sony have some great exclusives (and is why I have a PS4 pro) but tbh I don't see the point of anyone with a high end pc buying an Xbox. Xbox is now more than just a console it is a platform and we (mostly) have access to it if we have a windows high end pc. I honestly do not see the next gen Xbox having much on a pc with 1080ti (raytracing ... I will give it that)

Completely agree. Buying an Xbox when you have a gaming PC and you have invested into PC gaming is hard to justify.

For as much as an Xbox One costs, there will always be better value in just spending the £500 or so on a new GPU which will give more longevity, enable a huge back log catalogue, more controller options, more modding options, refresh rate options, resolution and aspect ratio support etc. etc. Then it also had VR headset support from all the big names.

The PS4/5 will however always be a mandatory purchase because they have a few really amazing games.

And the finally the Nintendo Switch is even more of a mandatory purchase because their games IMO are just unmatched in regards to character, quality and gameplay experience.

Soldato
Nope, the standard directX and vulkan implementations of RT are an open platform. "RTX" follows the same path as PhysX and Gsync being part of Nvidia's ecosystem and requires their hardware, which is why it will also eventually die.

Ray-tracing is normally software based and that is probably going to be the route AMD take.

Ah I see that angle you are trying to make, Nvidia is evil. NO, RTX isn't like Physx or Gsync. Games could only run Phsyx on the CPU if an AMD card was present, but, games will be free to use whatever Ray Tracing solution AMD comes up. RTX won't have any affect on AMD's performance in games.

And What do you think AMD's software solution is going to be? They are going to create a series of APIs that make the best use of the hardware in AMD's GPUs to perform Ray Tracing in games and they will give it a name. Lets say AMD call it ART (AMD Ray TRacing)

Just like Nvidia created their series of APIs and called them RTX to take advantage of their hardware.

Now when a Dx12 or Vulkan Ray traced game is played, depending on the GPU in your system, it will call on either ART or RTX to do the Ray Tracing. If there is no API to call, it will fall back to the software version which will be very slow in comparison.

ljt

ljt

Soldato

I have a PC and an Xbox One X, simply because only 2 of my friends own a PC, but all the rest own Xbox, so anything multiplayer I generally buy on Xbox.

i'm now at a point where I only use my PC for strategy games/PC exclusives like total war etc, the rest are on Xbox.

Soldato
Ah I see that angle you are trying to make, Nvidia is evil. NO, RTX isn't like Physx or Gsync. Games could only run Phsyx on the CPU if an AMD card was present, but, games will be free to use whatever Ray Tracing solution AMD comes up. RTX won't have any affect on AMD's performance in games.

And What do you think AMD's software solution is going to be? They are going to create a series of APIs that make the best use of the hardware in AMD's GPUs to perform Ray Tracing in games and they will give it a name. Lets say AMD call it ART (AMD Ray TRacing)

Just like Nvidia created their series of APIs and called them RTX to take advantage of their hardware.

Now when a Dx12 or Vulkan Ray traced game is played, depending on the GPU in your system, it will call on either ART or RTX to do the Ray Tracing. If there is no API to call, it will fall back to the software version which will be very slow in comparison.
I like it !! Radeon if you watching Radeon ART is a fantastic name ! they could even call it ARTX 5800 XT

edit# lol'd at suddenly seeing that sounds like artex, as in the ceilings

Soldato

Not correct. Sony and MS have already said AMD is putting in hardware accelerated ray tracing in 2020 Navi.

So while in the past Ray Tracing is software basedit won’t be going forward. The fact is that RTX cores Run Ray Tracing up to 10 times faster than any software Ray Tracing has ever managed.

Additionally there is a lot of Ray Tracing misinformation about AMD. People think that just because a game uses Nvidia RTX cores that AMD can’t do Ray Tracing on the same game. That is incorrect - AMD is free to turn on Ray Tracing API vis Vulkun or DX12 whenever it wishes to. NO game is locked away from them. They can do Ray Tracing on any game whenever they wish

I do think Nvidias API will die out though. I can’t see developers doing Nvidia And ANd Ray Tracing seperately. Nvidia will own Ray Tracing until 2021. When those console games come out they will be using the open source DX12 api and PC games will do the same

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you think the hardware raytracing will come in the gpus next year and would you speculate it will before or after or during the consoles launches?

Did they mention when scarlet and ps5 are due to release?

It will be to late to have it in consoles now even if it's before. Usually they are a few years behind PC hardware as it takes that long to develop, test and manufacture them.

Back
Top Bottom