• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
And the thing is why should we be prepared to? I know I am repeating myself but I just can't grok that the same people who are hating on Nvidia for being greedy are whilst not championing AMD prices but are giving them a pass. Stepping stone or not these navis are just as poor value as anything from Nvidia and by the time they are out will likely be worse because current rtx cards will be cut in price and the super cards will out perform them as well.
Hopefully this Navi will be the beginning of a great GPU line but right here right now they are offering just as bad value as NV and NV have yet to show their hand with 7nm parts which will surely be what the full fat Navi will be up against next year

Who is championing the price. I can't really see anyone doing that as the price is not great at all. Nothing about Gpu pricing has been great lately but with Vega 64/Vega56/580/570 AMD cards do seem to lead the way when we do get really good deals. Perhaps this is why AMD get an easier time of it. Maybe because Nvidia started this whole trend of pricing with cards like the Titan series and a mainstream card (2080ti) above the £1k mark Nvidia get more stick. It probably also helps that AMD saved us from more 4 core 8 thread cpu's at daft prices. AMD have more good will in the PC community in comparison to Nvidia on inflated pricing.

Soldato
Who is championing the price. I can't really see anyone doing that as the price is not great at all. Nothing about Gpu pricing has been great lately but with Vega 64/Vega56/580/570 AMD cards do seem to lead the way when we do get really good deals. Perhaps this is why AMD get an easier time of it. Maybe because Nvidia started this whole trend of pricing with cards like the Titan series and a mainstream card (2080ti) above the £1k mark Nvidia get more stick.
Read again ;) I said whilst no one is championing the price many people completely slating Nvidia are going easier on AMD

Soldato
Navi will be like Vega, worth buying in a year or so when the prices drop to where it should have always been

The same can be said for pretty much every card at RTX2060 and above especially at release pricing. With out going models at Fire sale pricing all new releases these days come in and make no sense apart from the odd new feature. Now we are relying on these Super models from Nvidia to come in and shake things up.

Soldato
What amazes me is how good modern games look on crappy hardware. I am running a 270x with 2gb and bf 1, bf V, Apex Legends etc all look and play very well on low settings. There are some compromises, but largely a decent experience tbh. I have historically turned a lot of effects off even when I had my 1070 as I didn't like how they looked... Motion blur etc.

Soldato
What amazes me is how good modern games look on crappy hardware. I am running a 270x with 2gb and bf 1, bf V, Apex Legends etc all look and play very well on low settings. There are some compromises, but largely a decent experience tbh. I have historically turned a lot of effects off even when I had my 1070 as I didn't like how they looked... Motion blur etc.

Motion blur is horrible.

Soldato
My view is simple it's all based on what has been shown and talked about.
My final opinion will need to wait till July 7th when it's tested fully.

Simple as that.

yeah and i want to see what happens when the card is downclocked, are these high wattage figures because the clock speeds are being pushed too hard.

how low can the clock speeds go to support 1080p/60fps, this will give us a much better idea of what they have done with 7nm.

this is what i really need on my mobile rigs and laptops.

Soldato
Not sure they really need a low end part - rx570 at £120 or whatever it is now is decent enough as a low end part. Only benefit a new part would offer would be to reduce power consumption

Based on that, you could also say that Nvidia didn't need to release their new GPUs because the 10 series were decent enough. We need progress and the 570 is so old now.

Last edited:
Soldato

Yeah its incredible. I had a GTX 670 and modded Skyrim looks beautiful on it.

I have a 2080 at the moment but I REALLY want to buy a Variable Refresh Rate TV and be able to use it. What are my options from AMD? Which card competes with the 2080? I feel like AMD are almost a generation behind NVIDIA. Such ashame.

Soldato
Yeah its incredible. I had a GTX 670 and modded Skyrim looks beautiful on it.

I have a 2080 at the moment but I REALLY want to buy a Variable Refresh Rate TV and be able to use it. What are my options from AMD? Which card competes with the 2080? I feel like AMD are almost a generation behind NVIDIA. Such ashame.
The Radeon VII I have one, waterblocked, incredible overclocker, when easily overclocked beats 2080 in most games

Don
Based on that, you could also say that Nvidia didn't need to release their new GPUs because the 10 series were decent enough. We need progress and the 570 is so old now.

Eh?
The 570 is an ideal entry level part performance wise. If it is discontinued then the newer part will obviously use newer tech, have lower power consumption, but likely cost more and probably perform worse than 570.

Associate
So (avoiding all the DLSS/RIS talk above), if you were looking at getting a new card in the coming months (around 2070-2080 price range - not 2080ti) would the advice be to get one, get the equivalent Navi AMD or wait for a few months and see what else is getting released?

I have a rx580 atm, cant get Vega 56/64 as they just aren't available here.

Back
Top Bottom