• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Soldato
Not correct. Sony and MS have already said AMD is putting in hardware accelerated ray tracing in 2020 Navi.

So while in the past Ray Tracing is software basedit won’t be going forward. The fact is that RTX cores Run Ray Tracing up to 10 times faster than any software Ray Tracing has ever managed.

Additionally there is a lot of Ray Tracing misinformation about AMD. People think that just because a game uses Nvidia RTX cores that AMD can’t do Ray Tracing on the same game. That is incorrect - AMD is free to turn on Ray Tracing API vis Vulkun or DX12 whenever it wishes to. NO game is locked away from them. They can do Ray Tracing on any game whenever they wish

I do think Nvidias API will die out though. I can’t see developers doing Nvidia And ANd Ray Tracing seperately. Nvidia will own Ray Tracing until 2021. When those console games come out they will be using the open source DX12 api and PC games will do the same

Agreed. Nvidia can have all the ray tracing fun for now but developers will always develop for consoles first, at which point if they'll favour whatever they're using. Maybe Nvidia's RT cores will just be THAT much more efficient than the competition.

Soldato
I agree sony have some great exclusives (and is why I have a PS4 pro) but tbh I don't see the point of anyone with a high end pc buying an Xbox. Xbox is now more than just a console it is a platform and we (mostly) have access to it if we have a windows high end pc. I honestly do not see the next gen Xbox having much on a pc with 1080ti (raytracing ... I will give it that)

I understand where your coming from as xbox has very little in the way of exclusives compared to the ps4 and most of the console xbox exclusives are also on the pc bar some of the Halos.

I use my xbox one x for gaming in the lounge as my gaming pc is hooked up to an ultra-wide in another room. The next gen xbox is touted to have 4 times the power of the current xbox one x, I think with the optimisations they make on consoles it should possibly surpass the 1080Ti. Time will tell. As it is tho I do use my xbox for gaming with friends and stuff on game pass.

Caporegime
I don't know I think he is genuinely butt hurt :p

See you at the 7nm party Richtor @Gregster !!

image.png

:D

I know I'll be there if Cyberpunk is sync'd with the launch (and they've fixed The Division 2 DX12 crashing by then!!!!!)

Caporegime

This just sounds despondent from a hardware enthusiast like yourself....You work hard...why not get a super? The 2080ti offered 30% over a 1080ti or 2080....why the change of view?

No interest from me. Even if it gave 30% + more performance and cheaper. 7nm is where I will be watching or even next gen console with M+KB support

Going to a console means you thrown in the towel in PC gaming and no longer are wishing to tolerate the high pricing etc....

I'm looking forward to getting a new Ryzen 3900x 12/24 cpu and I'm sure my 1080ti will handle Cyperpunk 2077 @ 3440x 1440p just fine...

There are great bits of hardware that just have that classic Vibe.....The Q6600, The 1080ti and earlier still the ATI 980....

Jumping on the latest GFX cards at £1200 plus is a mugs game....Then a few months later something comes out to surpass it to take on AMD and we feel deflated....

The fact is Super wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the 5700XT launch incoming.... So its about time we had some competition....The 2080 ti is a great card but was never worth the outlay...and sales have proven this....And if you choose to buy into the high end then you leave yourself open to be manipulated....

Everyone said I was nuts buying an 18 month 1080ti for £579...But tbh...its been a canny move...as nothing has arrived that remotely challenges it for the money V performance....

5700XT for £449 is a joke of a card and the 2070 at 500 plus was even more of a joke...

Its a shame people couldn't have restraint and see they were getting fleeced with RTX and rubbish pricing....and miss out 2080 series completely....But they didn't...and now they want to go back to consoles :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nope, the standard directX and vulkan implementations of RT are an open platform. "RTX" follows the same path as PhysX and Gsync being part of Nvidia's ecosystem and requires their hardware, which is why it will also eventually die.

Ray-tracing is normally software based and that is probably going to be the route AMD take.

Vulkan can poll for and use nVidia's RTX extensions - the Quake 2 Vulkan renderer queries for - I checked the source.

Realistically it is going to need dedicated hardware to get feasible performance any time soon for a complete GI solution along with caustics, etc. any software implementation any time soon will be either feature lite or lacking in accuracy due to such low ray count.

nVidia seem to have cooked up a pretty killer denoiser as well which makes it possible to get results close to much higher ray counts which I suspect will be proprietary and probably make the difference in terms of feasibility. It seems to rely heavily on their machine learning tech so frankly it is going to take a lot of resources for anyone else to replicate that.

Caporegime
Do you think the hardware raytracing will come in the gpus next year and would you speculate it will before or after or during the consoles launches?

Did they mention when scarlet and ps5 are due to release?

AMD said it would come to hardware with next gen Navi next year. But that does leave open the question how much hardware. E.g. it could be a few instructions that help some aspects but no where near the extent if Nvidia's dedicated cores. It could be Nvidia style. It could be a lot more. Nothing I have seen suggests Nvidia have any particularly amazing RTX technology, just they are first to marker. There may be more intelligent hardware approaches

Soldato
AMD said it would come to hardware with next gen Navi next year. But that does leave open the question how much hardware. E.g. it could be a few instructions that help some aspects but no where near the extent if Nvidia's dedicated cores. It could be Nvidia style. It could be a lot more. Nothing I have seen suggests Nvidia have any particularly amazing RTX technology, just they are first to marker. There may be more intelligent hardware approaches
Very true, AMD have been doing ray tracing for a good long while now with rays and rays 2.0 its not like they dont already know all about it and how to use it

Back
Top Bottom