27GL850G-B / 38GL950G-B When and how much?

Soldato
You can make each of the 3 zones with multiple mini-LEDs. It won't make much sense, but will not significantly flood neighboring zones.

The upcoming ASUS PG27UQX has 576 zones with 4 mini-LEDs each (which makes much more sense in comparison).

Indeed it wouldn't make sense - and yes it would still cause excessive luminance in adjacent zones, unless you had hundreds or possibly thousands of mini LEDs per zone. Even if you could devise a backlighting solution like that, with many mini-LEDs, you'd end up with a poor (and overly expensive) solution in practice if you've only got 3 dimming zones. Actual scenes are complex mixtures of bright and dark shades and you're going to end up with flooded dark shades or unbrilliant bright shades. It doesn't matter how many LEDs each dimming zone has or how they're structured, you need more independently controlled dimming zones to avoid that.

Last edited:
Associate
Indeed it wouldn't make sense - and yes it would still cause excessive luminance in adjacent zones. Even if you could devise a backlighting solution like that, with many mini-LEDs, you'd end up with a poor solution in practice if you've only got 3 dimming zones. Actual scenes are complex mixtures of bright and dark shades and you're going to end up with flooded dark shades or unbrilliant bright shades.

This hypothetical example is not intended for the best user experience - just to pass necessary DisplayHDR 1000 tests. The size of the monitor can be 60 mm x 20 mm with 3 separate square quad mini-LED zones, for the sake of simplicity.

We already know, actually, from Philips 436M6VBPAB and Samsung C49RG90, that DisplayHDR 1000 standard holds no value by itself for HDR experience.

Such a standard has to be more comprehensive (to include more specifications regarding dimming zones, at the very least: full array, amount, dimensions, etc.)

It doesn't matter how many LEDs each dimming zone has or how they're structured, you need more independently controlled dimming zones to avoid that.

It matters a bit, because it reduces halo effect. But not nearly as much as the amount of independent dimming zones, of course.

Soldato
Definitely agree that the VESA DisplayHDR testing criteria can be "gamed". They are indeed just very specific artificial scenarios that are used and they give a poor idea of what to expect in practice. Real scenes in games or movies don't consist of small boxes of pure white on a black background, or vice-versa, on a few different points of the screen. I mean, that would be a pretty boring game or movie. Pong HDR? :D

Associate
I was waiting for this monitor since March I think. I've bought Asus PG279Q at February and got a yellow blob on the white screen, changed it to Acer XB271 and got dead pixels and started to wait April, then June for this LG monitor. Now the store, where I've made the pre-order, says it will be in August. And here we know it won't have any G Sync. That's not bad if I have 2080ti, but some games still could down your FPS bellow 60 and 40 fps, for example, Planet Coaster or Cities Skylines, what does it mean for me, will I get tearing or something like that? And btw in my place, this monitor will cost about 850 euros.

PS On Nvidia Gsync compatible list page we can see specs for this monitor is 48-144hz but LG says like "Validated G-Sync monitors that have been tested to ensure that they meet Nvidia's standards must be able to enable VRR by default and will operate within a range of at least 2.4:1, or 60Hz to 144Hz..."
60? WTF?
And what I should do? 800 euros it's a lot for non-HDR, nonGsync monitor tbn. I think I should try my luck with Asus PG279Q again, that's weird

Soldato
But are any of us actually 'here', or merely code in a vastly more intelligent species' computer simulation? Our quest for the perfect monitor the very goal of that programme! It's their equivalent of Dark Souls, only vastly more difficult.

Associate
27GL850 price confirmed as $499.99 at US retailer, as rumoured before. Curious to see what the price is going to be over here, my guess is £500 or just under.

Associate
Often the UK tends to get stuff the same time as in the US ahead of the rest of Europe, could be the case with this one too considering Daniel also said it was coming July/August time. Being an Island and having a different power plug means some companies have separate centralised distribution for the UK and then another in Germany or somewhere for the rest of Europe. I know that's definitely the case for some companies because they have their central warehouses near where I live, just not sure about LG though.

Associate
First review is here: https://bbs.tgfcer.com/redirect.php?tid=7657755&goto=newpost if translated via google you get following facts : "The average response time average is 6.02ms, the fast response time average is 5.26ms; the ultra-fast response time average is 3.68ms; the fastest gray level reaches an astonishing 1.71ms"
Delta E 1.63 ; contrast 938 ; 392.8 nits
98.9% DCI-P3 color gamut volume, 93.5% DCI-P3 color gamut coverage
no word on ghosting, overshoot or freesync-performance unfortunately

Associate
Being IPS, there shouldn't be too much of an issue with ghosting or overshoot, as that is far more of a problem with VA
The Aorus AD27QD, for example, suffers from both, but the LG seems to be much faster so ghosting should not be an issue. Overshoot might be, especially when freesync is activated at lower refresh rates .

Back
Top Bottom