• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
So (avoiding all the DLSS/RIS talk above), if you were looking at getting a new card in the coming months (around 2070-2080 price range - not 2080ti) would the advice be to get one, get the equivalent Navi AMD or wait for a few months and see what else is getting released?

I have a rx580 atm, cant get Vega 56/64 as they just aren't available here.

Hard to really say right now without not seeing what Navi 10 can really do. They might be some headroom to play with on this GPU when used with say a better cooler or overclocking. But as of right now if the price isn't an issue it all comes down to what AMD or Nvidia offer you right now the best buy that GPU.
Either way am sure you won't be disappointed either choice you make.

Me personally RTX 2070 or Navi 5700 XT I would pick Navi for reasons I won't get into here.

Soldato
D89Yk9yUwAAUukL.jpg

I think what happened is AMD realised they can't catch up to Nvidia anymore and won't manage to claw back market share, so at least they put the prices up so they make some kind of money on each GPU sale rather than selling for a loss like Vega (and still not getting market share). Then the focus is all in on semi-custom contracts, and hopefully once they get more revenue & experience from those, they will catch up in 5-10 years and compete again. Until then, on desktop, it's going to be an RTX world.

Soldato
^^

That is such a crap slide.

If I was upgrading and I saw that slide I would just keep what I had.

New cpu, mobo and gpu for 9% performance boost in tomb raider.

Ohh yeah...

Edit: chances are you need new ram too - AMD says you need ddr4 3600 for ryzen 3000 and if you have a 6700k you probably have slower ram than that to begin with

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh okay so AMD just needs to make a product that's faster than the 2080 ti and sell it. Somebody needs to tweet your advice to Lisa Su so she can save the company.

Not really, but launching a 7970 with bad drivers and high prices, is not a good thing.
Launching a R290(x) with bad coolers so that you get the image of hot, loud and throttling cards, is not a good thing.

Soldato
So (avoiding all the DLSS/RIS talk above), if you were looking at getting a new card in the coming months (around 2070-2080 price range - not 2080ti) would the advice be to get one, get the equivalent Navi AMD or wait for a few months and see what else is getting released?

I have a rx580 atm, cant get Vega 56/64 as they just aren't available here.
From what I have seen so far I would be looking at a super RTX 2070 or super RTX 2080 I think (or a non super RTX 2080 once price is cut)
Maybe the full fat Navi will be good if it supports raytracing but right now to me it looks like Navi will be charging rtx card prices with rtx card performance but without rtx
Once real world unbiased benchmarks come out we will know more.
Someone did say that AMDs lag reducing features will be as important a feature as RTX and DLSS..... Well not for me personally.

Last edited:
Soldato
D89Yk9yUwAAUukL.jpg

I think what happened is AMD realised they can't catch up to Nvidia anymore and won't manage to claw back market share, so at least they put the prices up so they make some kind of money on each GPU sale rather than selling for a loss like Vega (and still not getting market share). Then the focus is all in on semi-custom contracts, and hopefully once they get more revenue & experience from those, they will catch up in 5-10 years and compete again. Until then, on desktop, it's going to be an RTX world.

That is a strange slide comparing an old quad core against AMD latest (I don’t know 8 core?) cpu?

And comparing a 1070 against AMD’s new card that is rumoured to be 2070 performance!

It’s just as well AMD (scraped) a win here!!!!!

Soldato
It's a terrible slide, they need to fire the person who made that and the one who approved it's release.

They are saying - gets rid of your intel setup and go buy a new rx 5700xt, new 3700x, new x570 motherboard and new ddr4 3600mhz ram - and then you can enjoy these games - oh look half of them are well under 20% faster than your old setup that you already own

Soldato
D89Yk9yUwAAUukL.jpg

That slide is absolutely disgusting ! the 5700xt is supposed to be 1080/2070 performance and the 3700x is supposed to be 8700k levels..so that slide is saying to me, dont buy these amd products because of this slide

Alien isolation! wt hell that game runs on my kids ABC zoo animals push button play toy

Soldato
Why didn’t AMD use vega 56/64 on that slide instead of the 1070....

Oh yeah ;)

Because you know the slide is real yes?

D89Yk9yUwAAUukL.jpg

Where you got this slide from? Anyone can doctor something like that these days, so show us the source from the AMD website please.

Soldato
That slide is absolutely disgusting ! the 5700xt is supposed to be 1080/2070 performance and the 3700x is supposed to be 8700k levels..so that slide is saying to me, dont buy these amd products because of this slide

Alien isolation! wt hell that game runs on my kids ABC zoo animals push button play toy
You are gotten for fool. Open the image and see the label around 3700X & 5700XT. The image quality is completely different than the rest of the presentation.
Is fake mate.

Soldato
You are gotten for fool. Open the image and see the label around 3700X & 5700XT. The image quality is completely different than the rest of the presentation.
Is fake mate.

It shows how easily people can be fooled though. If that got out onto the wide interwebs then god knows how many people will take it as gospel and make their mind up based on it.

Soldato
Is fake mate.
So i asked also with another forum member to confirm its authenticity and then you decide its fake, I dont think you realised that when you posted it did you im an idiot? Judging by your comments underneath you were also fooled, or you are the one that doctored it, either way, really underhand and nasty of you mate. I'm a sleepy idiot with 2 hours sleep

Last edited:
Soldato
So i asked also with another forum member to confirm its authenticity and then you decide its fake, I dont think you realised that when you posted it did you? Judging by your comments underneath you were also fooled, or you are the one that doctored it, either way, really underhand and nasty of you mate.

You asked forum members for an image from twitter, without source, which clearly looks is fake on 3 places. And if remember correctly that's from the Ryzen 1700X or 1600X presentation 2 years ago.
When AMD using GTX1070 to show the CPU performance different. I will find the original slide trust me.

Back
Top Bottom