Petition to sack Chris Packham from BBC

Soldato
Again, you have assumed something incorrectly.

I don't take pleasure in killing anything. However, there is a problem with corvids and wood pigeons that needs addressing. To solve that problem, yes, I am looking forward to trying to redress the balance after the hiatus.

I would be happy to post a video where over 200 lambs gave had their eyes and tongues pecked out by crows on a single farm, just during a short lambing season. The video shows a crow pecking a lambs eyes out, as it is being born. By the time it is halfway out of the sheep, it's died of shock. That's the reality and as I am unsure of rules about that sort of content, until a mod posts it's ok to do so, I'll refrain.

So, am I looking forward to making some sort of impact on the crow, magpie (population up 98% from 30 years ago and is the number 1 UK nest raider of song birds) and wood pigeon population to address a problem? Yes. Do I enjoy killing anything? No.

Sadly the actual reality of the excessive damage corvids do is never really thought about or even seen by those who just assume pest-control is an excuse for a good bit of blood lust rather than a necessary service which allows people to buy farm food in the UK.

Caporegime
Sadly the actual reality of the excessive damage corvids do is never really thought about or even seen by those who just assume pest-control is an excuse for a good bit of blood lust rather than a necessary service which allows people to buy farm food in the UK.
Of course nobody would ever shoot anything for fun and fun alone.

Of course those farmers don't give their kids air rifles and let them loose to shoot whatever they can find.

Of course they don't grow up believing the countryside is their playground and "townies" should just shut up and let them slaughter whatever they feel like.

Of course we didn't have a news items recently showing a hunt group (countryside alliance, farmers, etc) using live foxes to train their hounds to kill.

Of course none of it is for pleasure, ahem I mean "sport". No way.

Perish the thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
farmers? or if I may expand a little.....humans?

it's humans isn't it

I wouldn't be against that idea personally
The only hope for the known universe is that humanity dies out before it manages to escape Earth.

Collectively we are the most destructive, vile, insidious plague you can imagine.

It's especially funny that some of us think we're "good people", despite all of us having a massively damaging effect on our planet and not really caring to do anything about it.

The kids are right to be angry. They're ****ed, and increasingly they know it. And so do we. But we'll all be dead by the time it gets real bad so **** it.

This thread showcases just one aspect of our destructive lust. That we like to kill anything that doesn't fit in with how we want to exist and the things we want to do. If anything living gets in the way of $$$$ or lifestyle choices, blow it to smithereens. Because we can. And we like it.

Soldato
The only hope for the known universe is that humanity dies out before it manages to escape Earth.

Collectively we are the most destructive, vile, insidious plague you can imagine.

It's especially funny that some of us think we're "good people", despite all of us having a massively damaging effect on our planet and not really caring to do anything about it.

The kids are right to be angry. They're ****ed, and increasingly they know it. And so do we. But we'll all be dead by the time it gets real bad so **** it.

This thread showcases just one aspect of our destructive lust. That we like to kill anything that doesn't fit in with how we want to exist and the things we want to do. If anything living gets in the way of $$$$ or lifestyle choices, blow it to smithereens. Because we can. And we like it.

I agree. We all know the planet would be better off without us.

Soldato
If you are killing animals for food or to protect your environment then there's nothing wrong in that, that's just nature.

If you are killing animals for sport or pleasure then that's out of order imo, but plenty enough people do it.

I wonder how many of the people being so emotive about killing animals ITT swat a fly/insect without a second thought.

Soldato
One day you'll get yours, believe me. You people sicken me to the core.

I'm willing to discuss this topic with with you like a rational adult. However, I will NOT discuss anything if you continue to use intimidation and/or direct threats against me.

I wonder how many of the people being so emotive about killing animals ITT swat a fly/insect without a second thought.

The issue is that the "emotion" (as shown in this thread) often over-rides the logic and, as emotion needs no evidence, it allows folks to say increasingly unhinged things about people (including the above threat to myself by @FoxEye) without feeling that what they have done/said is wrong.

Soldato
Actually I do like him even though I may disagree with some of his views. To disagree with him is no reason to deprive him of a livelihood. That goes for many from the left and right that I also disagree with.

Agree with this. We all have opinions outside of our jobs. So long as he does not force an agenda on work time so be it.
Btw the ban on shooting even vermin such as magpies is boneheaded imo. (squirrels don't get a pass however, not sure the difference).
I am not a wildfouler myself but most of my family shoot woodpigeons for food so disagree with the ban...... But would never call for a person's job who disagrees

Btw I wonder how many people who rally against bloodsports happily eat battery farmed chicken?. Shooting and eating woodpigeon is the ultimate in free range food.
People saying let nature find its own balance... That went out the window as soon as we went from hunter gatherer to "civilised".
Besides..... Us hunting food IS finding a balance of you look at it like that

Soldato
Threat? Only in as much as I hope karma bites you on the ass.

If that's a threat then I'm Michael Jackson.
For someone so high and mighty I assume you live in a totally carbon neutral manner, only eat what you grow and are a vegan? Because if not there is some pretty big hypocrisy in your rage!.
Even if that IS the case you must surely see that there is not enough resources for us all to live like that, so unless you are suggesting we all drown all our kids in buckets other than our 1st born to get our population under control then your "good life" living is not really sustainable for us all

I do agree a disease wiping us all out would be good for the planet but am not prepared to commit genocide to do it. Perhaps I am a hypocrite too

Caporegime
For someone so high and mighty I assume you live in a totally carbon neutral manner, only eat what you grow and are a vegan? Because if not there is some pretty big hypocrisy in your rage!.
Even if that IS the case you must surely see that there is not enough resources for us all to live like that, so unless you are suggesting we all drown all our kids in buckets other than our 1st born to get our population under control then your "good life" living is not really sustainable for us all

I do agree a disease wiping us all out would be good for the planet but am not prepared to commit genocide to do it. Perhaps I am a hypocrite too
No I said we're all awful. Including me.

That's nothing we don't all know/can agree on.

I don't take delight in murdering animals but I'm for sure a net contributor to the destruction of the planet. I do *not* view myself as a "good person". In fact I was saying that "good people" don't exist. We're all a plague, all of us.

And for the record @ianh I am absolutely not threatening you at all. Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. I believe that everyone most people get their comeuppance in the end. Except when they don't.

Caporegime
gastric bands?
The serious answer is that you re-introduce the predators that would naturally balance the populations.

Only the farmers don't want them, either.

Basically farmers want to be the ultimate predators with power over life and death; only when they kill they just pile the bodies up and let them rot. Unlike predators which for the most part hunt to survive.

Soldato
Threat? Only in as much as I hope karma bites you on the ass.

I'm sure any positive Karma I gained from keeping 3 farms (two pig and one grain) mostly clear of pests, allowing those farms to create affordable food for hundreds (maybe thousands) of people to eat, more than makes up for any negative Karma I got from killing government decreed pests like rats etc, should anyone believe in genuine Karma (which considers not only the action, but also actor's intentions, attitude, and desires before and during the action).

And for the record @ianh I am absolutely not threatening you at all. Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part.

OK no problem :)

Caporegime
I'm sure any positive Karma I gained from keeping 3 farms (two pig and one grain) mostly clear of pests, allowing those farms to create affordable food for hundreds (maybe thousands) of people to eat, more than makes up for any negative Karma
I'm sure the owners of battery hens would use the same justification.

Or the pig farmers in the US that keep 20,000 pigs in a single (mega)barn, barely able to move.

Again it's all about what's "best" for humans and screw the planet/animals. Screw them because they don't fit economic goals.

e: Hah, we've caught up with the US it seems.

https://www.thebureauinvestigates.com/stories/2017-07-17/megafarms-uk-intensive-farming-meat

We too have barns with 20,000 pigs and 1 millions chickens per unit. Wow.

Caporegime
I also heard somebody talking about Turkey farms in the US recently, and how they have been genetically selecting the dumbest turkeys to breed from over many years, so humans are literally making animals dumber.

Guessing it was something on Radio 5.

Caporegime
There is no counter argument to 'nature balances itself'

Any other arguments are not for the good of nature but for the good of us.

Nature doesn't necessarily balance itself. Sometimes we need to give it a helping hand to undo the mess we've already created. For example reintroducing species to areas they previously inhabited before we killed them off.
However generally yes, we're selfish, murderous brutes.

Back
Top Bottom