Anyone jumped to the Middle East?

Soldato
Lived in Abu Dhabi when I was a nipper, don't remember much though. Based on what my parents said about then, and expats I know now that live there, the deal is pretty simple. You get paid a lot of money, you live in a compound, you're a second-class citizen, you spend your free time in hotels. The 'if you get in a traffic accident with a local, it's always your fault' is correct. That's what you live with. Lots of people are happy with that deal, go for a couple years, bank a load of money, leave.

Frankly, for the money, I would just go to Hong Kong. You get excellent money, negligible tax take, but it's a vastly, vastly easier and more interesting place to live

Only problem is jobs for expats are harder to find in HK if you dont speak Mandarin or Cantonese. But I was only looking for jobs in IT so that my not apply to other sectors in HK.

alx

alx

Soldato
So Abu Dhabi did not like my counter offer and reneged on what they said in interview so I rejected on principle.

Now looking at Qatar, pay is at least 25% more so will be going down this route.

Any experiences of Qatar?

I'm currently in Qatar with work, the expats here seem happy enough - assume you're aware of the embargo?

Soldato
OP
I'm currently in Qatar with work, the expats here seem happy enough - assume you're aware of the embargo?
Yup read into that but it doesn't seem to have affected them much from what I can see/read? Also while you're there can you ask around about Awfaz Global School? Bit of a long shot but hearing mixed reviews about the place!

Soldato
OP
Taking the plunge then. Handing in notice at my current school this week and getting all the documents attested now. Will cost around £1k for both of us just in legal fees and document attestation! Was not expecting that. Hopefully pay off will be good though - booked a holiday there during half term at the end of this month to scope out the area and see whats what.

Caporegime
But you misread what I said.

Fair enough, I'd still dispute it, as you can certainly highlight some valid issues without having been there too.

I mean now we're talking about Qatar, I have been there but only very briefly.

I can still comment that it was very nearly at war not so long ago, Saudi and the UAE were rumoured to invade and were stopped at the last minute by the (now sacked) US Secretary of State. If I were to move my kids there then the risk of being invaded by two countries who, judging by Yemen, aren't exactly great at avoiding civilian casualties, is something I'd want to consider for example.

https://theintercept.com/2018/08/01/rex-tillerson-qatar-saudi-uae/

Soldato
OP
Just at the stage where I'm sending off the docs to the embassy to get attested. Solicitors fees, fco fees and attestation fees all come it at around £65 per doc. I have 13 docs to send not including recorded delivery fees etc. Its getting expensive!

We are flying out during half term (next Sat) to get a feel for the place and visit the school.

Handed in my notice and got all my affairs in order here. Just need to wait out the documents I suppose.

Soldato
OP
So I'm here at the moment on half term. Thought I would check out the place and let the school know I'm here. They have absolutely smashed it for me - invited me round to check them out, sent their driver to the hotel, got the tour and met the senior folk at the school.

Meeting the owner and CEO of the school on Wednesday. Got my daughters admissions up and running. Medical and bank accounts in the works as well as residents permits. They are happy to take me on 2 weeks earlier and put me up in a apartment hotel while all the stuff gets sorted in August at their own cost.

Really have made me feel so welcome and put me at ease with any questions I had. School had a pretty poor reputation and they were up front about it saying that they are going through change but the processes are in place now. Looks very evident from what I can see - new offices, new roles being made for the right people, new vision in place from the academic director.

I get the feeling that my role is going to be more senior than I thought. They have me down as Head of ICT and E-learning but they're talking about heading up the project rolling out systems for head office etc as well as overseeing their business courses as I have some experience there. I said I haven't got an issue as long as my time is accounted for.

And Qatar as a place? Absolutely stunning.
I get that these guys have built this place in a desert but damn it's impressive. The buildings, the architecture, the beaches, the weather? Starting to get excited by this prospect now!
Can you tell? :D

Caporegime
Thinking about going out there soon as the industry (I am a computing teacher) seems to be booming, particularly in the ICT / STEM / Computing areas.

Has anyone taken the plunge? Pros and cons?

No, I'd probably be stoned to death or thrown off a building based on the crime statistics from over there.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Talk about deflating someones dreams lol. Harsh.
Lol, not really bothered about people's pre-conceptions about this middle east now - I am not gay so that particular ruling doesn't matter to me.

In other news I have received my confirmation of tickets and start date. Early august I will be leaving for a few years at least!

Starting to look at rental accommodation now over there, some really nice places with pools, gyms, childrens play areas, indoor football courts etc.
Looks really nice. A bit anxious about getting a car there. As much as I consider myself a car person I don't really want to be doing maintenance on a car when its 50+ degrees out and you have limited shade.
Don't really want to finance one either as breaking finance agreements can lead to prison!

I suppose I will have to buy second hand but try and be savvy about it (get a Toyota or Honda coz they never break down right?)

Got to start selling up my bits and pieces over the next few weeks!

Caporegime
Talk about deflating someones dreams lol. Harsh.

Hey I'm not deflating anyone's dreams. Just painting a realistic picture of the locale lol. Some people don't care about the countries laws until they are bitten by them, but more fool them. Sounds a bit like 1940's Germany to me, it's great unless you're (insert x demographic here) but that's why I don't go there. I just think it's unethical to introduce children to that environment, last thing you want is them to come out in abu dhabi lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hey I'm not deflating anyone's dreams. Just painting a realistic picture of the locale lol. Some people don't care about the countries laws until they are bitten by them, but more fool them. Sounds a bit like 1940's Germany to me, it's great unless you're (insert x demographic here) but that's why I don't go there. I just think it's unethical to introduce children to that environment, last thing you want is them to come out in abu dhabi lol.
Except its not Abu Dhabi - it's now Qatar :D

Quoting myself for obvious reasons...

Yeah it's fine, not going to let random peeps on the internet get me down. End of the day I'm happy to go out of my comfort zone and explore the world a little.

Planning to go explore the eastern Asian areas of the world (Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, China, Japan etc) while I am over there as they look like amazing places to go!

Obviously need to settle down there and get a place etc but genuinely looking forward to this move now. Never would have thought I would be in this position so riding the wave for now.

Soldato
Enjoy your time out there mate - my uncle moved to Dubai about a year ago to take higher paid role in the oil shipping industry. He's not overly keen on Dubai, but likes Abu Dhabi, though both places he finds expensive, even on the money he's earning. But, it means he can retire early :)

Back
Top Bottom