What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Had a recall notice from BMW for my 320d a few months back for the EGR cooler issue. I called them up back then and got it booked in for not only that, but a "steering gear quality enhancement" which turns out to be an issue relating to corrosion and bolts falling out resulting in the potential to lose steering altogether, lovely. Anyway, today was the day. Was quite pleased to get a nice 530i M Sport Touring as a loaner for the day:

However I just had a call from them to say that it failed its check on the EGR cooler so it needs a replacement which they don't have available right now and they're going to be organising me a hire car of some sort. No doubt I'll end up without my own car for quite a while :rolleyes:

Following on from this, I took the 530i back (as it was only meant as a courtesy car) and I now have a 420i from Thrifty (all paid for by BMW of course) which isn't too bad. However I'm still a bit concerned from reading around that people have still been without their cars for a few weeks even as recently as this month. Guy at the BMW dealer said that they honestly had no idea, some had been done within a couple of days and others a couple of weeks. Must be costing them an absolute fortune in hire car costs :D

Soldato
I’ve done quite a few jobs today. Upgraded the alternator as the old one wasn’t charging at idle with everything switched on, in fact with fans on, radio etc it was draining the battery. Had a few issues last year when it was hot and stuck in traffic that when I stopped the battery was flat! All sorted now and charging beautifully. I also changed the rocker cover gaskets and air filter. Then gave her a clean and topped up the oil and transmission fluid. All ready for the motor demonstration at Wing and Wheels this weekend at Dunsfold, fingers crossed for decent weather!

Soldato
Turned left into a very narrow road anticipating the sharp kerb but even still, just gently brushed it :eek:

I'm kinda kicking myself because I'm on CSL profile tyre sizing so if I had standard size the sidewall would have been a few mm bigger so the alloy rim would have cleared the kerb :(

Wonder if a smart repair can be done on diamondcut since that is such a light scuff?

It always hurts more when the alloys are a clean set otherwise! It's not awful but of course, it will bug you because you know it's there. You might be better off waiting until you get it repaired unless you're confident you won't damage them again any time soon.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
To be fair it is quite minimal, so whilst it stings, it's not so bad I guess. I'll have to suck it up!

The centre cap surround has some weathering on the same alloy though which annoyed me before. It's just surface marring, one of the misfits of having diamond cut wheels so maybe in time this will grow and give me an opportunity to just refurb that wheel.

Caporegime
To be honest even though its diamond cut, because it is so minor I'm sure a decent alloy wheel repair person would be able to make it almost invisible with a miniscule skim of wheel filler.

Associate
What did I do? I picked it up from the dealer!

yUQcJ4rb.jpg

Needed 7 seats and a decent tow capacity so landed on the Skoda Kodiaq as it seems to be picking up very good reviews. Got the VRS version as its a bit more powerful and once I've added options to the lower spec ones that are standard on the VRS the cost isn't that different.

Soldato
Not today but over the last week.

Fixed the exhaust tips rubbing against a bracket on the rear causing a nasty viberation.

Replaced vacuum lines, bar 2 which were ok for the switch over valve and motor mounts.

Associate
Changed a fuse :)

Unfortunately changing a fuse on my R26 Megane requires removing the battery, battery tray, ECU, and other trim :mad:

At least French electrics are know to hardly ever go wrong meaning you never really need to get in there :o

Soldato
Fitted this:

HxLX1QG.jpg

My OT-2 was too large to leave installed 24/7 and while Logworks is great, Innovate changed hands last year and the forums and iOS version of Logworks were pulled, tech supports response? ‘We know nothing about it. Sorry.’ Dash Command was my fallback option, but even they got sold recently. Longer term i’ll probably add an android HU and Torque.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I keep forgetting to service the BMW, its been about 10,000 miles and approaching 2 years. :eek:

Keep forgetting about the basic stuff like that because of everything else thats always going on with it. :p

The oil still looks goldy brown on the stick though! :)

Soldato
I washed & waxed it all up yesterday and took it in for its MOT.

It failed
icon_sad.gif

Front offside strut leaking quite badly and.....

1 advisory.

Unbelievably I picked up a sodding nail in the rear N/S tyre on the way to the MOT station !
I know I hadn't "missed seeing it" as I had taken the wheels off to wash and wax them !

MHUJXeIm.jpg

Spent yesterday replacing the strut. £67 (from Millfield Autos) but the tyre place was shut so I'll get that sorted tomorrow

Caporegime
Didn't replace the struts in a pair? Shock horror!! :eek:

Typical picking up a nail on the way!

I remember driving one of my cars to its new owner and a rock cracked the windscreen on the way :( :p

Soldato
Didn't replace the struts in a pair? Shock horror!! :eek:

Typical picking up a nail on the way!

I remember driving one of my cars to its new owner and a rock cracked the windscreen on the way :( :p

Steering rack failure on a test drive, headlight bulb popping as it was being tested, spring snapping as I took it down the ramp to go to the MOT... it happens to us all at some point sadly.

Back
Top Bottom