• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
You asked forum members for an image from twitter, which clearly looks is fake. And if remember correctly that's from the Ryzen 1700X or 1600X presentation 2 years ago.
When AMD using GTX1070 to show the CPU performance different. I will find the original slide trust me.
my bad, my sleepy eyes didn't see the different names. Apolgies given in profuse abundance

Soldato
so, i assume AMD will be releasing a more powerful Navi derived chip to compete with 2080, 2080ti sometime this year or early next year, but extrapolating performance numbers linearly with power output, i just dont see how navi can compete with upcoming AMPRE from Nvidia, specially if nvidia stick to their 35-40% improvement cycles. To me Navi is not good enough yet, better than VEGA but still lagging. I could be wrong.

Caporegime
so, i assume AMD will be releasing a more powerful Navi derived chip to compete with 2080, 2080ti sometime this year or early next year, but extrapolating performance numbers linearly with power output, i just dont see how navi can compete with upcoming AMPRE from Nvidia, specially if nvidia stick to their 35-40% improvement cycles. To me Navi is not good enough yet, better than VEGA but still lagging. I could be wrong.

They'll release it against the 3080, it'll be slightly slower and slightly more money :D

Caporegime

AMD have suggested Q1/Q2 next year for navi 20 which will be bigger cores.

Nvidia is looking at Maybe Q2 next year for Ampere built on Samsung's EUV 7nm+ node, which in itself is already about 30% faster than TSMC DUV 7nm node. It is expected AMD will stick with the current DUV 7nm fro TSMC.

Nvidia will be looking at 50-60% performance increase purely from going to the 7nm+, regardless of any architecture changes. Given the icnreased transistor densiy they could easily increase ray-tracing performance by 2 xto 3x.

At the end of the day AMD's new architecture on 7nm is still much less efficient than Turing on 12/16nm. By releasing on 7nm AMD have reduced the efficiency difference a little but they.

Caporegime
So (avoiding all the DLSS/RIS talk above), if you were looking at getting a new card in the coming months (around 2070-2080 price range - not 2080ti) would the advice be to get one, get the equivalent Navi AMD or wait for a few months and see what else is getting released?

I have a rx580 atm, cant get Vega 56/64 as they just aren't available here.

Wait and see what Nvidia's Super release does. It will shake up the market a little. You will either be able to get a 20% faster card for the same money from Nvidia, or AMD will be forced to lower prices.
There might also be discounts on moving the older Turing.

Soldato
That slide is absolutely disgusting ! the 5700xt is supposed to be 1080/2070 performance and the 3700x is supposed to be 8700k levels..so that slide is saying to me, dont buy these amd products because of this slide

Alien isolation! wt hell that game runs on my kids ABC zoo animals push button play toy

people on here might laugh but the main game i need to run on my mobile and laptop rigs is...

Warhammer Total War 2.

As it stands, running this game on a 8th Gen Intel CPU and a 1080 is nowhere near my 8th gen 4.7ghz/1080ti desktop rig.

a) the laptop cost £3k
b) the laptop is so hot on my lap and the fans so bad that it is anti-social.

If that slide is correct and the AMD setup is going to be 40% faster without melting my laptop then it is a case of ‘shut up and take my money’.

Soldato
Wait and see what Nvidia's Super release does. It will shake up the market a little. You will either be able to get a 20% faster card for the same money from Nvidia or AMD will be forced to lower prices.

kEH1zgM.gif

Wait till you see the launch prices from Nvidia xD

And we have only just had our pants pulled down on regular RTX.

Prepare your wallets fellas.

Soldato
Because you know the slide is real yes?

Where you got this slide from? Anyone can doctor something like that these days, so show us the source from the AMD website please.

I second that

It shows how easily people can be fooled though. If that got out onto the wide interwebs then god knows how many people will take it as gospel and make their mind up based on it.

Source is this: https://twitter.com/KOMACHI_ENSAKA/status/1139226644646789120

Soldato
Question: Which of these two images would you choose? Consider this similar to Navi's Image Sharpening (speculation on my part).

Exhibit A vs Exhibit B

A is 4K w/ AA High, while B is 4K 80% render scale w/ AA low & Adaptive Sharpen. The performance difference between the two is 40%!!

1. On vs Off
2. On vs Off

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wait till you see the launch prices from Nvidia xD

And we have only just had our pants pulled down on regular RTX.

Prepare your wallets fellas.

If you bothered following the news you would see that the rumours point to the new Super cards coming in at the same price point but with more performance, and the older models discounted.

It is very possible there will be a 2070ti that is similar price and 20% faster, or you could get a 2080 for the same price as a 5700xt etc.

AMD will have to reduce prices, but either way it is worth waiting to see.

Caporegime
Question: Which of these two images would you choose? Consider this similar to Navi's Image Sharpening (speculation on my part).

Exhibit A vs Exhibit B

A is 4K w/ AA High, while B is 4K 80% render scale w/ AA low & Adaptive Sharpen. The performance difference between the two is 40%!!
Download both at 4K.

A is much sharper and B is very blurry and soft, like the screen is smeared in Vaseline. Odd because I thought the whole purpose of AMD's sharpening was to make images sharp yet it doesn't seem to work.

Sure you don't have these the wrong way round?

Back
Top Bottom