• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Asus seem to have gone full apple (with the usual clueless fanboys following too).
FRACTIONALLY better hardware in some cases with excessively more marketting getting folks buying their stuff over legitimately better kit.
At the same time - about the worst after sales in the business. It makes zero sense to legitimise their business practices but everyone seems to be jumping on board.

Had a dude I know sold a titan X pascal that would whup every 1080ti it came up against (needed a 2100mhz cored 1080ti to beat it) for a crappy Asus Rog 1080ti cos it was "better".

If ANY of the other mobo makers get the performance bits of the bios sorted I'm totally up for ignoring that Asus exist.

The ROG lineup has proprietary tweaks that make it genuinely better, though. If it's too rich for your blood, there's plenty of other options...

Plenty of users care about lower voltages.

Soldato
The ROG lineup has proprietary tweaks that make it genuinely better, though. If it's too rich for your blood, there's plenty of other options...

Plenty of users care about lower voltages.

Nah, RoG 1080ti/2080/2080ti vs... EVGA's or the best from MSI or KFA2/Galax = Asus RoG looses. Still gets flocked to by endless, clueless folks who can't research their purchases better.
Same for: Mice, Keyboards, Headsets.

Their "premium" screens etc have just as many issues with testing/final checks as the rest.

They currently do have FRACTIONALLY better motherboards. That's it.

Soldato
Nah, RoG 1080ti/2080/2080ti vs... EVGA's or the best from MSI or KFA2/Galax = Asus RoG looses. Still gets flocked to by endless, clueless folks who can't research their purchases better.
Same for: Mice, Keyboards, Headsets.

Their "premium" screen etc have just as many issues with testing/etc as the rest.

They currently do have FRACTIONALLY better motherboards. That's it.

I'm talking about X570, this is an AMD Ryzen thread. I'm not interested in talking about 3rd hand blanket statements

Soldato
I'm talking about X570, this is an AMD Ryzen thread.

We haven't seen X570 boards in review/etc. I'll agree they likely win, I'll stick money where's needed to get what I can performance wise. I don't have to be happy about it and can still give them the finger as I do? :D

If Asrock would sort out their bios's they have better hardware on their boards.

Associate
We haven't seen X570 boards in review/etc. I'll agree they likely win, I'll stick money where's needed to get what I can performance wise. I don't have to be happy about it and can still give them the finger as I do? :D
The X570 Taichi looks like a decent board bht I cant stand that white theme lol
If Asrock would sort out their bios's they have better hardware on their boards.
The X570 Taichi looks like a decent board but I cant stand that white theme :/

Soldato
What I _REALLY_ want (and know it won't happen, they're committed to Intel/Nvidia atm) is an EVGA Dark X570 :D
None of the RGB or other pointless fluff, just a good board.

Anyone in the same mindset, go bug them on FB/twitter about it pls :D ;)

Soldato
Prices are widely reported to be around that.
It's pretty much going to be a £/$ 1:1 translation.

I'm determined to go with one of the better flagship boards this time but... I'm not getting gouged for pointless tacky fluff while doing it. Good board, end of.

Soldato
Another thing to do consider on why you should still go with Ryzen (or even Intel) rather than cloud gaming... 1)What happens when you start getting lots of contention on the line 2) what happens when your isp starts restrictions on your line for the massive amounts of data that you are using under 'fair use' clauses?

I think cloud gaming is gonna make video streaming look like the good guy.

Games like fortnite/pubg etc. You are gonna be at a.massive disadvantage with latency.
Exactly, a lot of people's Netflix usage is watching 2 episodes a night ore maybe even one, some of these are 4k but not all.

However with gaming, Many people could do that like 5 hours a time. At 4k.

Soldato
Are you going 3900X or 3950X?

Still dunno. Definitely 3950X (or 1/10 chance of TR3) eventually. In the meantime.... will see. Whichever games better from 3800X or 3900X. The 3950X is going to be better binned cores (I'd think).

Reports are that threadripper comes Q4 (so, just after September's 3950X) with "something else" planned for CES next year (Zen 3? :D ).

I'm sat on a nice inheritance atm and fatherhood (probably) isn't tooooo far away so planning an "end game" rig that'll have to last a few years with fairly minor upgrades after.

Soldato
Still dunno. Definitely 3950X (or 1/10 chance of TR3) eventually. In the meantime.... will see. Whichever games better from 3800X or 3900X. The 3950X is going to be better binned cores (I'd think).

Reports are that threadripper comes Q4 (so, just after September's 3950X) with "something else" planned for CES next year (Zen 3? :D ).

I'm sat on a nice inheritance atm and fatherhood (probably) isn't tooooo far away so planning an "end game" rig that'll have to last a few years with fairly minor upgrades after.

Keep your eye on 3700X reviews if you intend on changing it anyhow, I doubt there will be a great deal between that and the 3800X. 3900X seems like it would be a waste, if you are set on more cores.

X499 is due Q4, and I'd hope the CPU's to go in there are as well, don't go down that rabbit hole though! :)

Soldato
But, but... I want moar! :p
Not like my 2700X is doing me much harm (beyond PUBG being flaky as heck with ANY form of overclock/memory tweaking/GPU clocking/looking at it wrong).
I figure I'll still get decent return on a 3800X/3900X resale in Sept. Completely reasonable suggestion though :D

Hoping Ryzen 3 with a better IMC lets me just throw these 4k sticks in at stock/XMP and get near enough the best I'll get from them. Being the guy who always crashes out (this last PUBG build especially) is getting well annoying though.

No real need for TR tbh, the lanes for exotic storage is about all the use I'd make of it. Still.... :D

Soldato
I'm gathering from this we all have slightly varying requirements and budgets, who knew? ;) I generally find buying a little higher than good enough works out well for me YMMV.
Slightly moving in Gigabytes direction at the moment. Will have to see what the verdict on their BIOS is... probably going 3800X for better out the box result but again depends on reviews. Then drop in best CPU for the platform a few years down the line.

Caporegime
@EsaT

not sure if this has already been posted or you've read it but thought it might put a big smile on your face

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...asy_time_in_ryzen_3rd_gen_gaming_benchmarks/1

AMD disabling all security handicaps for Intel to go head to head- PR Manager had some balls !

Here come the 1337 gamers to say that disabling protections will be a good plan, too bad almost certainly the vast majority of intel users wont be doing that, gaming or not.

Back
Top Bottom