Petrol station

Soldato
That really sounds no different to paying at the pump.

I like that I don't even need my wallet with me (need it less and less these days).

I was half joking, it's not that different of course, it is just that bit quicker and easier, for me. I kind of like having an email receipt of it too, not that I really need it.

It's a little like contactless over putting your card in an tapping your PIN in. There's only a few seconds difference, but I love contactless myself as it's just easier.

Soldato
I like that I don't even need my wallet with me (need it less and less these days).

I was half joking, it's not that different of course, it is just that bit quicker and easier, for me. I kind of like having an email receipt of it too, not that I really need it.

It's a little like contactless over putting your card in an tapping your PIN in. There's only a few seconds difference, but I love contactless myself as it's just easier.

Still a way to go with it all i think, they should at least up the cap on contactless to at least £100, then i could use my phone to pay for fuel.

Soldato
I think Barclays do have it at a £100 limit, through their own app. I would need someone else to confirm as I've never been brave enough to try and look silly if it didn't work.

The google pay app supports £100, but the merchant has to as well and i dont think any do they all cap at £30.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Apple Pay is technically unlimited but most merchants stick to £30 limits :(

On topic - I use both sides, I've got more to do than to wait for a queue. Never had an issue getting the hose around to the other side either.

Soldato
For the people "gouging" their paintwork with a fuel hose, what are you doing?!

You tell me, i'm presuming there was either some damage to the pipe or there was something on it. It left perfectly spaced lines about 1.5mm apart right down about 5 inches of the edge of the C pillar on the oppisite side of the car where it caught it.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Those hoses are covered in grit and will scratch up paint, rest it on the glass or park further forward. Or just wait. Its all a minor.

Me? I try to fill up without stopping... that's where the fun is!

Associate
OP
I have to admit I'm pretty surprised by the amount of people who do this, and still not convinced of the reasons.

- Hose doesn't reach - I've never experienced this, are people parking meters away from the pump.
- People don't want the hose touching the car - Again, easy enough to avoid if you park correctly.

The only valid reason I've read so far is that the fuel you want, isn't available or out of order on some pumps so you've got no choice to queue.

Soldato
I have to admit I'm pretty surprised by the amount of people who do this, and still not convinced of the reasons.

- Hose doesn't reach - I've never experienced this, are people parking meters away from the pump.
- People don't want the hose touching the car - Again, easy enough to avoid if you park correctly.

The only valid reason I've read so far is that the fuel you want, isn't available or out of order on some pumps so you've got no choice to queue.

You should be glad, because of people like us, you're more likely to get to the pump quicker.

Caporegime

Most of the time the hose does reach but on more than one occasion I have parked with my tyre touching the curb around the pump and the nozzle only just reaches the filler if you put it in at a weird angle with the hose pulled taut.

I find it easier just to wait than to faff around. I guess all petrol stations are different.

That said it is barely ever an issue for me because I either fill up at Tesco at night so I have free rein of any pump I like, or I fill up at Shell and they have tonnes of rows of pumps and the ones on the wrong side reach easily anyway.

Caporegime

Yes, local Shell has a stupid short hose, almost what i you see is the slack you get.

The reason I know this is because once I didn't park forward enough I had to pull really hard to get it to just reach and it is barely. EVen if it does reach, if I were to park on the other side with the car far enough forward for the hose to go round, I would block half the exit.

For example this is my local Shell station, I took a guess on how long that car is, I think i am being conservative really with its length. If its 5 series or an estate it would easily be longer. If you pull all the way forward you would block the exit for all the cars in the pumps on the other side.

So I don't know how you can park correctly. Parking correctly would be not blocking the exit.

So I wait.

So are you convinced now?

iTL6gqW.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
I’ve always used both sides, just park close to the pump and not too far back, never had an issue nor scratched my paintwork.

Nah, that's so 90's. Pull in, open relevant app, select pump, fill up, drive away... much quicker and easier.
I use my Shell app, although the last time I refuelled I used the app, filled up and drove off, at the next roundabout from the garage some pleb pulled up along side berating me for driving off without paying...

I said I’d paid by app which seemed to go over his head and he continued abuse shouting he’d got my registration and would report me.

Two weeks later I’ve not yet been arrested! :D

Apple Pay is technically unlimited but most merchants stick to £30 limits :(
Infuriating that many self impose limits, you’d have thought a required thumbprint would be security enough, I wonder how many fraudulent transactions are carried out with stolen phones and the victims digit? :p :D

OC/UK impose an Apple Pay limit too :/

Back
Top Bottom