• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
@EsaT

not sure if this has already been posted or you've read it but thought it might put a big smile on your face

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cp...asy_time_in_ryzen_3rd_gen_gaming_benchmarks/1

AMD disabling all security handicaps for Intel to go head to head- PR Manager had some balls !
To be fair, security patches don't affect gaming becnhmarks much, I think 1% reduced performance. Scheduler could have an effect on selected titles, but for most will be minor again.

Soldato
Here come the 1337 gamers to say that disabling protections will be a good plan, too bad almost certainly the vast majority of intel users wont be doing that, gaming or not.

To be fair, security patches don't affect gaming becnhmarks much, I think 1% reduced performance. Scheduler could have an effect on selected titles, but for most will be minor again.

I was looking at it mainly from PR/Marketing point of View... that is a bold strategy.. more honest then rx 5700 charts are

plus I know esat likes to mention Intels security flaw patches with HT which you cant fault .

nice to see them actually getting PR steam , their Budget for Ryzen 1000 launch was non existent pretty much !

Soldato
seems 7nm APU on the cards now , in time for Xmas - also would tackle Intels new iGPU . 10 core was always Q4 but never got a set date (from Q1)

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-amds-plans-for-7nm-ryzen-apus/

have a feeling Sony and XBo wouldn't like this - and more so to do with the intel ^^^

7nm vega- guessing faster clock speeds. wouldnt want to bite into console performance adding more CU, yet should be hyper for them as can market it as... " yes it'll be better then this"

@4K8KW10 tempt you over ?

Soldato
seems 7nm APU on the cards now , in time for Xmas - also would tackle Intels new iGPU . 10 core was always Q4 but never got a set date (from Q1)

have a feeling Sony and XBo wouldn't like this - and more so to do with the intel ^^^

7nm vega- guessing faster clock speeds. wouldnt want to bite into console performance adding more CU, yet should be hyper for them as can market it as... " yes it'll be better then this"
I can't see the 7nm APUs merely being 7nm shrinks of the old (already shrunk) Zen+ + Vega kit. Not sure I can see them rolling Zen 2 cores, I/O and Vega graphics back into a monolithic die either. Hell, why even Vega graphics?

Roll on Navi chiplets! Renoir has to be chiplet based, surely?

Soldato

I'd be very surprised if Zen 2 APUs arrive this year. Zen+ APUs aren't even out yet! Plus we know Threadripper 3 is on the cards and that always comes before the APUs. It'd be great if they did improve the long delay between CPUs and APUs but I find it hard to believe.

Associate
I can't see the 7nm APUs merely being 7nm shrinks of the old (already shrunk) Zen+ + Vega kit. Not sure I can see them rolling Zen 2 cores, I/O and Vega graphics back into a monolithic die either. Hell, why even Vega graphics
Nothing says it should be monolithic. And it makes a lot of sense to reuse Zen 2 cores and layout. Probably different IO die, to allow for graphic outputs. Actually calling combine graphic core and IO chiplet. The closer graphics live to memory controller the better.

Whether graphics is Navi (logical) or Vega 7nm (more time to prepare) is open.

Soldato
Nothing says it should be monolithic
The lineup, which I am going to call “Raven Ridge 7nm Refresh” for lack of a better term, is going to be succeeding the existing RR lineup that is fabricated on the 14nm process. My source did mention the word “raven ridge refresh on the 7nm node” which makes me believe that this is going to be a 7nm shrink of the 14nm parts allowing for much higher clocks and an updated architecture while retaining the basic configurations.
The author's thought process is shrinking the existing Raven Ridge kit to 7nm. That's a single chunk 'o' stuff. I don't see AMD taking the chiplet-designed Zen 2 and smooshing it all back together into a single chunk 'o' stuff.

Soldato
I'd be very surprised if Zen 2 APUs arrive this year. Zen+ APUs aren't even out yet! Plus we know Threadripper 3 is on the cards and that always comes before the APUs. It'd be great if they did improve the long delay between CPUs and APUs but I find it hard to believe.

prob reacting to Intel bring in newer iGPU . biggest buyer of APU in theory would be OEM - HP/Dell thats all Intel . all those office PCs AMD cant get into due to current ryzen APU being slower and 6+ cores or Ryzen 3000 not having iGPU.

I hope its true, and with AMD turning tactics. really going after server and OEM :D

I can't see the 7nm APUs merely being 7nm shrinks of the old (already shrunk) Zen+ + Vega kit. Not sure I can see them rolling Zen 2 cores, I/O and Vega graphics back into a monolithic die either. Hell, why even Vega graphics?

Roll on Navi chiplets! Renoir has to be chiplet based, surely?

apple using Vega 7nm .... in theory , they are already doing the die shrink on Vega ...

and marketing... PAIN having APU a gen behind. only reason for it was to prepare the GPU side of it . hopefully they just get everything on 7nm and not using old gen tech on newest gen release

Associate
The Ryzen 3000 APUs are (rumoured?) to be Zen+ based.

Zen 2 based ones won’t be about till Zen2+ in 2020 at the earliest I suspect.

They can only gain marketshare if they push as early as possible Zen2 based APUs with Navi.
i don't have any hopes of AMD doing it before Q1 2020 thou

That could be 6 and 8 core chips with Navi that could pull off descent 1080p gaming.
That would make for some cheap entry level gaming PC builds.

Soldato

I'd think.... if you wanted to get a chip OEM's or box builders would buy to sell to well meaning parents in the run up to Christmas... you'd probably favour APU's over threadripper. Those wanting threadripper, will buy threadripper. Those buying "A PC" would likely jump on a cheaper overall package than Intels with a igpu setup that'll do "well enough". Mindshare/etc being important.

Doesn't mean it WILL happen. Good reason it COULD happen.

Soldato
AMD have an absolute mountain to climb when it comes to large OEM's using their CPU's in the huge box shifting business, where discrete graphics have no place at all. Obviously there is much less margin in those low end parts, but the brand awareness is hugely valuable. They have to ensure that they are hitting the likes of Dell Dimensions/Optiplex etc. there are no Ryzen based machines on offer from them (other than the Alienware) which is a massive market place.

Soldato
Margin in the low end comes from numbers. Quite right though, it's likely lower per unit than on higher end stuff though.

I'd still think they'd ALMOST rather have that market (it matches their approach in GPU - hold the mid-range, where possible and win on price/performance).
In the low end/high volume market you've got your name on vastly more inventory which ends up in front of vastly more consumers, many of who will eventually move on/up from the basic machine they bought.

It's absolutely a key market and you're absolutely right on the mountain they have to climb there. At least this time Intel can't be quite so obvious with bribes and other underhand stuff. It would appear they aren't able to compete again (fairly at least) with what's due so... I guess we'll see.

The 3200, 3400 and 3600 "G" parts look pretty decent as the leaks go though.

Back
Top Bottom