*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
In other news, I pulled 100 kg for 5 reps yesterday for the first time since my herniated disk a couple of years ago. No major achievement in the scale of things - I know I will be able to lift more - but I'm happy and I think I got over a mental barrier! Same with squats, hit maybe 102.5 kg yesterday so I'm past the psychologically challenging 100 kg mark. I'm excited for the next few months of lifting.

@Avenged7Fold did I see you say you'd been working for 9 months? Are you still on a linear progression or has that dried up a bit yet?

Well done bro!

I've been at it for just over a year since starting but have been cutting fat for the vast majority of it.

Linear progression long dried up when my fat dropped below a certain point. Now i am only really gaining ground on body-weight exercises and dumbbell presses since swapping from barbell. I set myself an aim to get skinny for a festival next month and when i hit that goal i thought i might as well keep going and see if i can get some abs showing through.

Yeah i could do with a bit more lean mass but i figured i'd get lean for the summer when i can enjoy it rather then bulk an extra month as i don't think a month bulk will make a difference, while a month of cutting will give a bit more definition.

Soon ill switch to a lean bulk. I'm looking forward to getting the numbers back up.

Soldato
Thank you very much. Ill examine that properly later. Will need to find a substitute for the peanut butter and chocolate spread though.
Why? why do you need to find a substitute? You currently eat chocolate bars? Sure you've said you don't like peanut butter but neither do I, still like PB and Choc spread though.

Soldato
If you just write off stuff and replace every ingredient with another, you'll end up far off your macros and more importantly your attitude towards food wont change.

You should take this lifestyle change as an opportunity to branch out and broaden the palate.

Also it may seem difficult now but its easy to hit the minimum protein/fats when you are bulking. When you decide to cut, how picky will you be able to be?

Getting your protein fix through milk will not be an option, i can tell you!

Soldato
Eating less has never been a problem for me. I could quite easily eat 1500 calories and not be hungry. No snacks no milk just a piece of meat and some bread rice pasta or potatoes and im on 1500 cals for the day. I could do that easily.

Why? why do you need to find a substitute? You currently eat chocolate bars? Sure you've said you don't like peanut butter but neither do I, still like PB and Choc spread though.

I know im weird. I have issues (clearly!) with some combinations and textures. I could eat dry toast then a chocolate mouse separately but the idea of having a choc spread on toast makes me gag a little. And i really cannot stand the taste of nuts so if the spread tastes even a little of nuts ill gag.

Soldato
Eating less has never been a problem for me. I could quite easily eat 1500 calories and not be hungry. No snacks no milk just a piece of meat and some bread rice pasta or potatoes and im on 1500 cals for the day. I could do that easily.

I know im weird. I have issues (clearly!) with some combinations and textures. I could eat dry toast then a chocolate mouse separately but the idea of having a choc spread on toast makes me gag a little. And i really cannot stand the taste of nuts so if the spread tastes even a little of nuts ill gag.
But eating less and still hitting macro goals will be a struggle if you are too picky.

From the sound of it your food phobia is similar to many children's (not insulting, I have a child, just a comparison) I'd hazard a guess you were indulged as a child and have held onto the aversion into adult hood.

Only advice I can give is try, the problem is due to lack of experience with the joint textures, you can get over these things with more exposure.

Soldato
From the sound of it your food phobia is similar to many children's (not insulting, I have a child, just a comparison) I'd hazard a guess you were indulged as a child and have held onto the aversion into adult hood.

On the contrary my parents were very strict. I barely ate as a child and was severely underweight and undernourished.

I didnt start eating an 'adult' level of calories until i was in my late teens and i could afford to buy my own food from takeaways.

Quite why i can eat an indian curry and naan bread but not a lasagne i dont know. its the textures and visuals. Cheesy sloppy things make me feel sick but i can eat a pizza or cheese on crackers. its strange.

Man of Honour
I'm getting a lot of gyp from my knees. Any suggestions of supplements or exercises? I'm mid 40s. I'm doing stronglifts so squat a lot!

Soldato

Eats a chocolate bar a day....wont try chocolate spread....******* toddler logic.

You say you want to make an effort, but you really don't, writing off every suggestion before even trying.

Stick to your milk, I don't think there's any more I can do to help here, your not actually willing to push yourself.

Soldato
You say you want to make an effort, but you really don't, writing off every suggestion before even trying.

Stick to your milk, I don't think there's any more I can do to help here, your not actually willing to push yourself.

There is a mental block inside my head that physically stops me. I simply could not force myself to eat something where i feel this block. Ive had this all my life ive given up fighting it directly and i eat stuff i like. My diet has grown more varied as ive got older and i can afford to just eat the things i like and not really worry about the things I dont.

Deep down, i feel there HAS to be alternative source for something i dont like. I find it hard to believe that there isnt something equivalent, for example to peanut butter, that i can eat. I just need to discover what that alternative is then i can just eat that.

Soldato
It seems a desperate search for a workaround.
I'd still say exposure is your way to go.

make a peanut butter and choc spread sandwich (or even a corner of a bit of bread) just chew it.
Tell yourself you're not eating, just chewing, then get used to that.

Then get over it :p

Really you're going to super struggle unless you get over this, try huel, gives loads of stuff you need and the berry's not bad

Soldato

Being on a cut isn't just eating less. How will your body operate correctly with no healthy fats?

Soldato
Being on a cut isn't just eating less. How will your body operate correctly with no healthy fats?

Im sure i get healthy fats now. I cook my meat in either olive, walnut or grapeseed oil now and i like tinned salmon.

According to google there are healthy fats in eggs, dark chocolate and cheese. I csn eat the first two and i can eat cheese (cheddar only) on pizza or crackers.

Google says dark chocolate has more antioxidents than blueberries and it protects against high chloesterol and heart disease. I prefer dark choc to milk choc anyway.

Soldato
Cheddar's filled with saturated fat,
And while dark chocolate's the best of the chocolates for you, it's really not as good as no chocolate

Honestly not according to google search.

Dark chocolate is one of those rare health foods that actually taste incredible.

It is very high in fat, with fat at around 65% of calories.

Dark chocolate is 11% fiber and contains over 50% of the RDA for iron, magnesium, copper and manganese (12).

It is also loaded with antioxidants, so much that it is one of the highest scoring foods tested, even outranking blueberries (13).

Some of the antioxidants in it have potent biological activity, and can lower blood pressure and protect LDL cholesterol in the blood from becoming oxidized (14, 15Trusted Source).

Studies also show that people who eat dark chocolate 5 or more times per week are less than half as likely to die from heart disease, compared to people who don't eat dark chocolate (16Trusted Source, 17Trusted Source).

There are also some studies showing that dark chocolate can improve brain function, and protect your skin from damage when exposed to the sun (18, 19Trusted Source).

Just make sure to choose quality dark chocolate, with at least 70% cocoa.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-super-healthy-high-fat-foods#section3

Less than half as likely to die from heart disease it says, if you eat dark chocolate. It may be nonsense I really don't know.

Soldato
Im sure i get healthy fats now. I cook my meat in either olive, walnut or grapeseed oil now and i like tinned salmon.

According to google there are healthy fats in eggs, dark chocolate and cheese. I csn eat the first two and i can eat cheese (cheddar only) on pizza or crackers.

Google says dark chocolate has more antioxidents than blueberries and it protects against high chloesterol and heart disease. I prefer dark choc to milk choc anyway.

What you have posted of your diet so far, most of your fats are saturated fats and you are using Google to justify the unhealthy foods you like. You came here for advice but you still want to eat your things, your way in your quantities. People are just trying to help but it seems to be falling on deaf ears...

Soldato
Those studies show an increase in Cocoa can be shown to reduce cardiovascular issues,
Then the site has gone:
"Dark chocolate has high cocoa content, therefore is good for you"
Add cocoa to a protein shake, cut out the added fats and sugars.
Add it to porridge in breakfast

Soldato
Well done bro!

I've been at it for just over a year since starting but have been cutting fat for the vast majority of it.

Linear progression long dried up when my fat dropped below a certain point. Now i am only really gaining ground on body-weight exercises and dumbbell presses since swapping from barbell. I set myself an aim to get skinny for a festival next month and when i hit that goal i thought i might as well keep going and see if i can get some abs showing through.

Yeah i could do with a bit more lean mass but i figured i'd get lean for the summer when i can enjoy it rather then bulk an extra month as i don't think a month bulk will make a difference, while a month of cutting will give a bit more definition.

Soon ill switch to a lean bulk. I'm looking forward to getting the numbers back up.

Well done to you man. Sounds like you've come a long way. You were scrawny when I last saw you and I was pretty pretty rotund, not that that has changed much.

Have you got abs yet?

Back
Top Bottom