Poll: Do you leave the tap running while you're brushing your teeth?

Do you leave the tap running while you're brushing your teeth?

• Yes

Votes: 165 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 258 61.0%

• Total voters
Soldato
Anyone else use warm water to brush their teeth?

Met a girl who used warm water in my teens and thought she was weird, then tried it and got my teeth feeling cleaner than using cold water. Makes sense as you don't wash your clothes or dishes in cold water, have done it now for about 23 years.

Associate
At primary school i was always told to be polite, and not to talk to strangers _ nothing about taps

We had this thing where the teachers gave everyone a poster with dates on it (like a calendar but only for one month) and a set of stickers. We then had to stick these stickers on the poster every time we brushed. I think it was a way of reminding us to brush as we all wanted to stick stickers onto things x) Part of that though was showing us how to brush properly and of course, not to be wasteful :D Seems to have worked for me!

Associate
Am I the only one who fills a cup with water to use to rinse my mouth? If I'm out of town or something and don't wanna bring it with me, then I'll just turn the tap on when I need to rinse. Makes utterly no sense to just leave it running the entire time.

I fill the cup to the brim out of habit, but since getting an electric toothbrush that you just stick in your mouth and do all 4 'quadrants' of your mouth from start to finish, I only really need about half a cup to rinse my mouth out.

Associate
My partner leaves the tap running at full blast so frustrating, I come over and turn it off for her lol.

Anyways you're not meant to rinse your mouth out I thought? I always quick rinse brush, paste, brush and spit (I don't swallow)

Caporegime
Anyone else use warm water to brush their teeth?

Met a girl who used warm water in my teens and thought she was weird, then tried it and got my teeth feeling cleaner than using cold water. Makes sense as you don't wash your clothes or dishes in cold water, have done it now for about 23 years.
Why does Thing B which has nothing to do with Thing A make you see 'sense'? I mean, live your best life and all that, but there's little to no science there :)

Associate
Why does Thing B which has nothing to do with Thing A make you see 'sense'? I mean, live your best life and all that, but there's little to no science there :)

How does it not relate? Generally the hotter something is, the less stable the particles become and they start to break down (i.e. become softer), which then makes it easier to remove if it's stuck on a surface. If you have one dirty dish you washed with freezing water and another dirt dish you washed with hot water, which do you think would be easier to clean?

Last edited:
Soldato

Just a logic trail. Clothes and dishes are washed more efficiently and end up probably cleaner with hot water over cold water, same could apply to my gnashers :D

Caporegime
No, waste of money and water leaving it running.

While wasting water is wasting water, if you brushed twice a day, leaving the tap running for 1 minute each time (at an average flow of 5 litres/minute), that is 10 litres a day wasted, 3650 litres wasted a year.

In monetary terms, that is like a fiver wasted, or £20 for a family of four, per year. Cost isn't a valid reason to not do this. :p

Associate
While wasting water is wasting water, if you brushed twice a day, leaving the tap running for 1 minute each time (at an average flow of 5 litres/minute), that is 10 litres a day wasted, 3650 litres wasted a year.

In monetary terms, that is like a fiver wasted, or £20 for a family of four, per year. Cost isn't a valid reason to not do this. :p

Who only brushes their teeth for 1 minutes, it's 2 minutes that's like £40 for a family of four! Could almost buy a Freddo!

Back
Top Bottom