Slow nas uploads

Don
11.5Mbps uploads to the nas from the Surface!
This is still pathetically slow.

The cable going to your NAS from router, is it a proper 8 pin cable? What speed does the Synology show in..
Control Panel, Network, Network Interface, expand LAN1 'Network Status'

With an ethernet connection from your PC to your Synology you would get 110MB/s constantly. (~1000Mbps).

Soldato
Lower case b means bits. Uppercase B means bytes. There are 8 bits to the byte.

Broadband speeds are always quoted in bits.

Windows shows transfer speeds in bytes.

Don
Check on the Synology
So does fast.com mean bits or bytes?

I'm really sorry to keep going on, I seem to have a severe mental block with this. I'm blaming the dialysis!

Please, no need to apologise, the NAS sounds like it's running at 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps. Look at my earlier post to check the speed in the Synology control panel.

Powerlines will limit the speed to the NAS compared to a direct ethernet connection by the way..

Maybe draw out your network and say exactly how the NAS is connected to the router. A photo of the beach of the router may help :) (some don't have gigabit ports on the back of them.

Soldato
OP
Ok, sorry for no update. I've been having tests done at hospital and hadn't felt up to tackling this problem.

I was browsing the plusnet forums, and one of the experts replied to someone else having the same problem by saying..

The 10/100/1000 Mb is the speed the interface (network) is capable of running at, the higher the number the faster it can run. But this is only applicable to wired components and all of these components must have equal or better interfaces to get maximum throughput.

However, as you are using Wireless this is an instant bottle neck.

So it looks like the only way to get super speeds is to use Ethernet, which isn't possible as the router is in the hall and the PC is around 25ft away.

Would this give me grounds to leave Plusnet?

Last edited:
Associate
In simple term's no, as long as they are providing the advertised speed for the service you signed up for.

If you did decide to leave Plustnet and go with a different ISP how would that change things as you would still be connecting to the router via wireless from your PC / Laptop.

Soldato
OP
In simple term's no, as long as they are providing the advertised speed for the service you signed up for.

If you did decide to leave Plustnet and go with a different ISP how would that change things as you would still be connecting to the router via wireless from your PC / Laptop.

From my limited knowledge, a better router would allow faster speeds through WiFi. And not stunt it like Plusnet does. I was looking to join Zen.

It's almost always possible to use a cabled connection if you want to.

I have really thick walls so drilling is out of the question. And running a wire under the door and around the skirting boards would look tacky. Is there a more technical way of doing it that I don't know about?

Soldato
I have really thick walls so drilling is out of the question.
More than a metre thick? If they're less than that you can buy SDS bits that'll reach.

If your walls are really thick then that's why your wireless is so bad. All wireless routers are limited to the same power levels. Moving to Zen and using the router they supply isn't going to change that. If you want a higher spec. router buy one, it'll still probably work out cheaper than moving to Zen.

2.4GHz wireless penetrates walls much better than 5GHz. With really solid walls you can basically writeoff 5GHz as an option.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
More than a metre thick? If they're less than that you can buy SDS bits that'll reach.

No I don't live in a nuclear bunker :D they're 40cm thick. I remember the sky bloke having trouble when I first moved in. But even though that's possible I'd rather not have the wire going around the living room. Maybe I could move the PC against the wall where the router is the other side, if I don't find another solution.

Only other option is a power line adapter, something like NETGEAR PL1000-100UKS PL1000 Powerline 1000 Mbps for around £30

I have a TP-Link Powerline that has 500Mbps on it.

If you can draw a diagram of your network then I might be able to provide a better solution.

I will try to do that today.

I'm currently awaiting a call back from Plusnet about the home network speed restrictions their routers have, and whether I can leave for nothing. Current exit cost is £120, there is 12 months of a 18 month contract left.

Back
Top Bottom