• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
I've got an Asus Prime x370 pro - got it for like £30 in a crazy bundle when the the zen+ chips were coming out.
If I don't care about PCIE 4 or faster RAM speeds - do you think I'll be OK for the 16-core (at stock) with this ?
I'm really only after the cores & increased IPC. I do a bit of gaming but gaming performance isn't really a priority (ie it's already fine).

Caporegime
I've got an Asus Prime x370 pro - got it for like £30 in a crazy bundle when the the zen+ chips were coming out.
If I don't care about PCIE 4 or faster RAM speeds - do you think I'll be OK for the 16-core (at stock) with this ?
I'm really only after the cores & increased IPC. I do a bit of gaming but gaming performance isn't really a priority (ie it's already fine).

No

GAC

GAC

Soldato
should be ok AT STOCK, and thats the issue if you have any intentions of overclocking even slightly id say grab a x570 to be safe. just have to wait for asus to update its supported list for the motherboard.

Soldato

Well it will run the 2700X ok, so as long as there is BIOS support for it, no harm it giving it a try. :)

Associate
should be ok AT STOCK, and thats the issue if you have any intentions of overclocking even slightly id say grab a x570 to be safe. just have to wait for asus to update its supported list for the motherboard.

OK, thanks, I'll wait until Asus have official support. I'm sure if they think the VRMs can't handle it, they won't add BIOS support. I'm 100% happy with stock on the Ryzens, it's how my 1700x runs. I'd like to avoid changing motherboard, not so much for money reasons but I just can't be bothered with the hassle, especially as I'm using this machine at work right now.

Man of Honour
Asus Prime x370 pro
do you think I'll be OK for the 16-core (at stock) with this ?
at stock, possibly yes. but don't expect PBO or XFR2(?3) or PB2(?3) to work well

reason is:
1) weak VRMs. prime x370 pro is a 3 phase with pseudo-doubling coupled with 40A power stages - this equals to max load of 240A
compare it to a mid-range x570 board which now packs 10-12 phases with 40-50A power stages. you get the drift.

2) heatsinks on abovementioned VRMs are totally inadequate for cooling the VRMs at high power draw situations...coupled with a high core count ryzen 3000...would mean that throttling (or worse...system shutdowns) would probably be common when you're taxing the CPU.

Associate
at stock, possibly yes. but don't expect PBO or XFR2(?3) or PB2(?3) to work well

reason is:
1) weak VRMs. prime x370 pro is a 3 phase with pseudo-doubling coupled with 40A power stages - this equals to max load of 240A
compare it to a mid-range x570 board which now packs 10-12 phases with 40-50A power stages. you get the drift.

2) heatsinks on abovementioned VRMs are totally inadequate for cooling the VRMs at high power draw situations...coupled with a high core count ryzen 3000...would mean that throttling (or worse...system shutdowns) would probably be common when you're taxing the CPU.

Interesting, I don't know what PBO or PB2 are - XFR2 is that a combined auto clock for RAM & CPU ?
Anyway, I do CG, so although I'm mostly rendering on GPU recently, it will definitely get periods of extended all-core full load (probably a few hours at a time max)
I guess I will wait & see as more info comes in. Mainly I want to avoid re-installing windows. That would actually probably make me not upgrade.

Man of Honour
Associate
don't have to, with windows 10. pretty painless.
you will need to reactivate though.
(i did a mobo transplant previously when my mobo died)
Ah, OK, so I'd be likely to see lower average clocks, especially with extended use & they would tend to be nearer the base speed than the boost speed ?
Thanks for all the info (and to others, too).

Associate
W10 will boot on pretty much any hardware from any install. I recently put an SSD from my old laptop into my PC to test a GPU without messing up my install, the laptop install booted right up.
Good to know. It's just I have quite a lot of commercial software licenses & plugin licenses on the machine. A change of MB will probably trigger a couple of them to need updating but I can live with that. A full re-install would be a bit of a nightmare. Now that 'windows rot' seems to be either a thing of the past or disguised by ssd's I'd like to swerve a re-install for the time being (I'll of course de/ re-install all mb drivers etc)

Man of Honour
Ah, OK, so I'd be likely to see lower average clocks, especially with extended use & they would tend to be nearer the base speed than the boost speed ?
correct. likely at base clocks.
although the prime x370 pro can supply a theoretical 336W (240A * 1.4v)...i doubt that it could muster that much in real world usage. 150w seems to be about right...and about where an overclocked 2700x would draw.
3950x has base TDP of 105w.
cutting it close.

A full re-install would be a bit of a nightmare. Now that 'windows rot' seems to be either a thing of the past or disguised by ssd's I'd like to swerve a re-install for the time being (I'll of course de/ re-install all mb drivers etc)
there's always a chance of errors by not doing a fresh reinstall.
so you'll have to take that chance.
nowadays SSDs are fast enough not to notice slowdowns from junk not being removed from legacy/uninstalled programs (what you term windows rot).

Permabanned
08bne4c83b431.jpg

Back
Top Bottom