New game: You've got £1.5k to spend on a car...

Caporegime
How does she handle, honestly. Cumbersome and numb, or are you engaged?
Honestly, somewhere in the middle. With decent tyres mine was great fun at Curborough spint course. Not as engaging as my MX5 was, but on balance as a car that I can use both every day and for fun, its a better all rounder.

Soldato
I don't think you find any sports cars in good condition for that cheap really. All of them will need restoring in some way.

Caporegime
In addition to my previous post:

Clio 172/182
R53 Mini Cooper S

Just do what I do. Go to Autotrader, set 0 - 60 to sub 8 seconds, set transmission to manual, set mileage to sub 200,000, set price to sub £2000, private only, exclude CAT C/D/N/S, and hit search. See what comes up.

Soldato
I know they're not the most highly-regarded "hot hatch". But a friend of mine had one and I drove it a few times. It was seriously satisfying to drive hard through the twisties. Fantastic chassis and enough power to be enjoyable.
On Chris Harris's podcast this week he actually said that the mk1 Focus was the 'best' car he ever road tested. It was mysteriously good he said.

Soldato
Your N/A as fun as the turbo or was it world's apart?

Genuinely was: sure, the turbo was faster, but the N/A is enough for the road, it was only on the track where I felt it needed more power.

Whilst it’s hard finding non rusty ones for sub £1500, it can be done. A friend paid about £650 last year for one and has had no rust issues at all.

Back
Top Bottom