Oculus Quest (Santa Cruz)

Associate
Anyone looking for an alternative cheaper hard case, just come across 'Carplink Hard EVA Case for Oculus Quest' on the forest for £26. Looks pretty good, but don't actually have one so can't attest to it's quality:
61ZbhdDn21L._SL1000_.jpg

Associate
It's a dick move from oculus and I really hope the backlash they get makes them reconsider .
Honestly I do not see what oculus have to fear from it to be honest.
I think they stand to lose far more than they gain from this

Not at all, Guy (the Dev) submitted the app for approval without steamvr streaming enabled, got it approved and released onto the store and then 'added' the feature without letting Oculus know. He is lucky they didnt ban him entirely from the dev/app store.

Associate
Pavlov VR - another title Oculus are refusing on their store :rolleyes:

That iss a shame, standalone headsets seem to be the best thing for playing these games.

Is Pavlov still counted as an early access game elsewhere? (remember reading that Oculus only want finished complete titles on the Quest to give the users the best experience).

Edit: Ahh so it isnt a problem with Oculus, the Dev has 'trust issues' !!!!

https://i.redd.it/9yraj10z36431.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Pavlov VR - another title Oculus are refusing on their store :rolleyes:

He never got rejected. Oculus never ignored him (it was the other way around actually) he just wants to do his own thing with his own game. That's totally cool but to come out and make this announcement now all of a sudden makes it seem like he's another victim to the 'evil overlords' and I just want people to know that is definitely not the case. He chose this path 100%

More about it here.

Soldato
OP
The way I read it. Oculus a quite happy to have Pavlov on the Rift store but are asking for too many changes for the Quest port and the fella would rather keep his integrity.

As usual the Oculus Reddit sycophants are spinning it their way.

At the moment its story after story and indie devs are just going to say **** that not worth spending time as it could just get rejected at the last minute, go with safe SteamVR.

Last edited:
Associate
The way I read it. Oculus a quite happy to have Pavlov on the Rift store but are asking for too many changes for the Quest port and the fella would rather keep his integrity.
At the moment its story after story and indie devs are just going to say **** that not worth spending time as it could just get rejected at the last minute, go with safe SteamVR.

Dev specifically says that isnt the case, he just doesn't want to do things their way. Oculus do have standards for all quest games that every dev team have to comply with, probably just doesnt want to work to those rules which is his choice, but sounds a bit daft now after his 'woe is me' twitter post after all the back story comes out.

I think Oculus are taking the PSVR approach, have finished quality games/apps available for the quest (its basically a console anyway), not a load of half finished indie trash littering the store. Unfortunately that means some rough indie gems will be missed.

Associate
Dev specifically says that isnt the case, he just doesn't want to do things their way. Oculus do have standards for all quest games that every dev team have to comply with, probably just doesnt want to work to those rules which is his choice, but sounds a bit daft now after his 'woe is me' twitter post after all the back story comes out.

I think Oculus are taking the PSVR approach, have finished quality games/apps available for the quest (its basically a console anyway), not a load of half finished indie trash littering the store. Unfortunately that means some rough indie gems will be missed.

His game is heavily integrated with Steam's services for multiplayer, workshop support etc. Much of this would have to be omitted for the Oculus Store, which is understandable.

Soldato

But, in both these cases, Pavlov and Virtual Desktop, Oculus was in the right. The Facebook haters on Reddit are just as bad as the Oculus sycophants, everything is an excuse to jump on the rant bandwagon.

As for other Indie developers, well, that's their choice. But, if they want to sell their game/app on the Quest they will have to meet a certain standard. Does that mean you will miss certain games if you are on the Quest? Yes it does. But, it's no different from any of the consoles, unless you own all of them you are going to miss some great games.

Soldato
OP
But, in both these cases, Pavlov and Virtual Desktop, Oculus was in the right. The Facebook haters on Reddit are just as bad as the Oculus sycophants, everything is an excuse to jump on the rant bandwagon.

As for other Indie developers, well, that's their choice. But, if they want to sell their game/app on the Quest they will have to meet a certain standard. Does that mean you will miss certain games if you are on the Quest? Yes it does. But, it's no different from any of the consoles, unless you own all of them you are going to miss some great games.
Fair point. Think it's just compounded due to the fact it all occurred in the space of a week.

Soldato
His game is heavily integrated with Steam's services for multiplayer, workshop support etc. Much of this would have to be omitted for the Oculus Store, which is understandable.

That does sound like the most plausible reason for the game being rejected. Does the sideloaded Oculus Quest version also use Steam's services?

Soldato
as talented as he might be, the lack of professionalism and his child like behaviour when it came to all of this was mental to see

re: pavlov dev.

Soldato
I'm really struggling with the comfort of the headset to the point where I'm afraid to say I've had to return it...

I've tried adjusting the straps every which way but there simply isn't a setting I find comfortable. No matter what I do the headset never feels anything other than ridiculously front heavy and either presses down too heavily against my forehead, cheeks, the back of my head or a combination of the above. I've also found myself developing neck pain I've never had before which I'm fairly sure is also caused by the weight of the quest sitting awkwardly on my head.

I realise there are options out there like the VR Cover and StudioCreative headstrap but I honestly don't see any of them addressing the front heavy nature of the quest. The only thing which might is a counterweight on the back but I don't want to cobble something together myself for fear of it damaging the straps. I really shouldn't have to on a brand new £500 headset!

I don't know how they thought, given the weight of the Quest, that anything other than a halo style headband would suffice. Ideally they should have gone with a halo style band and fitted the battery/chipset to the back of it so the weight was balanced. Perhaps we'll see an official (or decent quality 3rd party) halo band for the quest at which point I'll maybe give it another try but right now I don't think it's for me given the fitting issues. I realise this is all subjective and others may find it OK but personally it's awful comfort-wise.

It's so frustrating as I love the device and it's undoubtedly the best VR experience out there...... :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom