• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Am I right in thinking (from the amd compatibility slides) that even the cheapest b450 in the land will be fine with the 16 core Zen2 at stock, and all this VRM chat is specific to those wanting to overclock? (fair enough given the name of this site..)

Also does anyone know if the fancy 1ms speedstep business needs chipset support, or is it all good on last gen motherboards?

Man of Honour
Is it still up in the air?
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/r...-older-300-series-due-to-bios-limitation.html

Below a full list of current and previous generation MSI motherboards that have already been qualified to work with Ryzen 3000:

• X470 Gaming M7 AC
  • X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
  • X470 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  • X470 Gaming Plus
  • X470 Gaming Pro
  • B450M Bazooka and B450 Bazooka V2
  • B450 M Pro-VDH and B450 M Pro VDH V2
  • B450M Pro-VDH Plus
  • B450I Gaming Plus AC
  • B450M Pro-M2 and B450M Pro-M2 V2
  • B450M Thunder
  • B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  • B450 Gaming Plus
  • B450-A Pro
  • B450M Gaming Plus
  • B450M Mortar
  • B450M Titanium
  • B450M Bazooka Plus and B450M Booka Plus V2
  • B450M Tomhawk
  • X370 XPower Gaming Titanium
  • X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
  • X370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
  • X370 Gaming Plus
  • X370 Gaming Pro
  • X370 Krait Gaming
  • X370 SLI Plus
  • X370 Gaming M7 ACK
  • B350 Tomahawk
  • B350 PC Mate
  • B350 Tomahawk Arctic
  • B350 Gaming Plus
  • B350M Mortar
  • M350M Mortar Arctic
  • B350M Bazooka
  • B350M Pro-VDH
  • B350M Gaming Pro
  • B350I Pro AC
  • B350 Gaming Pro Carbon
  • B350M Pro-VH Plus
  • B350 Krait Gaming
  • B350 Tomahawk Plus
  • Be50M Pro-VD Plus

Soldato
I considered the same but but sure I could be bothered dismantling and selling my daily driver. I may go 3800X and upgrade to 16C in a few years once the price drops and there is more need for it.

Yes, for me it's the faff and time of it all just as much as the cost. X570 should be fine later down the line if buying upper tier.

Permabanned
I have confirmed with OCUK that they will flash a motherboard with the latest BIOS if you request this though it will take a day or so longer to arrive.

this was requested many generations ago, its good there doing it.
i asked over the phone one time and was told no!, i said this is a service people would pay for to know an older gen board will work with newer CPU's.

Also does anyone know if the fancy 1ms speedstep business needs chipset support, or is it all good on last gen motherboards?
That is supposed to be a Windows Update thing, specific to Ryzen CPUs but not limited to the latest gen.
As an aside, the Navi input-lag feature is also going to be available on the Zen+ APUs; i.e. it isn't a Navi-specific feature.

Soldato
it is, but it doesn't seem to give the boost that amd is claiming?
which leads me to suspect that there's something unreleased?
unless i'm just reading into it too much. lol.

I think they presented the best case scenario for heavy workloads that were jumping between CCX's much more often that was good for the optimal performance. I'd imagine there a quite a few applications and maybe games that it will help, but maybe not to the large margin of 15% for most.

Edit: The effect that the ACPI DPR update for the CPPC2 (Collaborative Power Performance Control 2) will have a much bigger effect with Ryzen 3xxx, as the ability to raise and lower clock speed much more quickly is very important.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The pricing on Zen 2 and mobo's is a bit disappointing if I am honest. If there are decent cheap mobo's I may go for it. I want to upgrade, but knowing I won't see much of a benefit over what I got already is put me off. Will likely wait a few months after release and see what's what then.

Man of Honour
I think they presented the best case scenario for heavy workloads that were jumping between CCX's much more often that was good for the optimal performance. I'd imagine there a quite a few applications and maybe games that it will help, but maybe not to the large margin of 15% for most.
ah yeah...also HWU also clarified (which i missed initially):

AMD has now confirmed that the topology awareness for “Zen” cores is live right now in Windows 10 2019 May Update (v1903) for all AMD Ryzen processors.
https://twitter.com/Thracks/status/1139578937531666434
The faster clock ramping is just for Zen 2 and that's what will require the chipset driver as we suspected. So that's all pretty disappointing as it means the improved topology awareness makes bugger all difference in the games we tested.

means that the gains won't be seen for ryzen 1000/2000 chips

Soldato
means that the gains won't be seen for ryzen 1000/2000 chips

You must have posted that just before/after my edit above.

"Edit: The effect that the ACPI DPR update for the CPPC2 (Collaborative Power Performance Control 2) will have a much bigger effect with Ryzen 3xxx, as the ability to raise and lower clock speed much more quickly is very important."

Associate
So the faster clock ramping is what i was talking about, and it requires a chipset driver update in addition to whatever is now in Windows? So will that driver update support Zen2 on B450?

I'm building a system for audio, and historically have always had to disable dynamic clocks as you tend to get drop outs whenever the processor shifts gears, would be lovely if I can just leave it switched on this time..

Associate
The pricing on Zen 2 and mobo's is a bit disappointing if I am honest. If there are decent cheap mobo's I may go for it. I want to upgrade, but knowing I won't see much of a benefit over what I got already is put me off. Will likely wait a few months after release and see what's what then.

+1

Back
Top Bottom