New Composite door fitted - chip

Soldato
I'd take that tbh. Once repaired it should be virtually invisible and with it being just the outer layer of material it won't affect the doors performance. £50 in your back pocket is better than a new door imo.

Soldato
Jesus what must the rest of your house look like if you're fussing over a tiny mark along the top edge of your door? A black marker and you'd never even spot it.

Your house as a whole when built would have been less than perfect then.

Soldato
OP
Jesus what must the rest of your house look like if you're fussing over a tiny mark along the top edge of your door? A black marker and you'd never even spot it.

Your house as a whole when built would have been less than perfect then.

Bwhahahahaha!! Nice one!! Oh wait - you're serious?

What must the rest of YOUR house look like if you think a black marker is an acceptable form of DIY.

Soldato
As already mentioned by the sane members of this forum (asking for a replacement door for this is hilarious) a konig touch up pen would make this invisible and it wont be causing any draft or issues, so the £50 goodwill gesture is reasonble.

Soldato
OP
So you buy a monitor, or a desktop case, or a laptop - bearing in mind you have spent around £1500. You open the laptop/monitor/case and there is a chunk missing out of it, not a crack, but a lump of plastic is missing. Do you:

• Accept the damage and fill it in with a black marker
  • Accept a repair
  • Accept a repair and a discount
  • Get a replacement
Or a car - you buy a brand new motor and it gets delivered with a chip down to the metal - fill it in with black marker? I get it's 'just a door' but the item was fitted damaged.

Thanks for the opinions all.

Soldato
What must the rest of YOUR house look like if you think a black marker is an acceptable form of DIY.

Well given it's a cosmetic touch up a black marker is perfectly adequate, nothing DIY about it, the structural integrity of the door was never in question.

Soldato
I think a car or laptop are bad examples as you handle these a lot and would notice the repair, but this chip will spend 99% of its time hidden behind the gasket when closed and the other 1% of the time it's too high up to notice at all once repaired. So you're basically just getting a nice crisp £50 note for a bit of inconvenience.

I think the company handled it very badly and I can see why their reply got your back up.

Soldato
OP
Well given it's a cosmetic touch up a black marker is perfectly adequate, nothing DIY about it, the structural integrity of the door was never in question.

It isn't though - they can't touch it up because it isn't a paint chip - it is a chunk (albeit a small one) out of the door - it isn't a paint fleck come away. They have told me they have to melt it, fill it, paint it and sand it.

Sorry if they were bad analogies, but at £1500, surely you want the product you ordered?

Soldato
Or a car - you buy a brand new motor and it gets delivered with a chip down to the metal - fill it in with black marker? I get it's 'just a door' but the item was fitted damaged.
Thanks for the opinions all.

For a start I wouldn't expect a new car, or even a new door panel. I'd expect a repair that I cannot see and some goodwill for the inconvenience.

Man of Honour
For a start I wouldn't expect a new car, or even a new door panel. I'd expect a repair that I cannot see and some goodwill for the inconvenience.
Which they initially didn't offer. If the initial reply is written exactly as received from the company then it's not surprising the OP went into "**** you very much" mode.

Fine offer to repair it but at the end of the day it puts the customer at an inconvenience having to wait around for them to come and carry out the repair so a little sweetener on top may well get them to tell their guys to at the very least be more thorough with their post install check over so they could have repaired it there and then with no extra inconvenience to the customer.

Soldato
Not sure why people are jumping on the OP here, anyone who's paying a decent amount for a product (doesn't even have to be a door) expects that it is in pristine condition at the point of installation, if you wreck it after install then that's your problem. But if it's not in pristine condition upon install then that's the companies problem.

I agree that the company handled this pretty badly, £50 is nothing to them in terms of the cost of a door, and by apologising profusely and offering a repair + the goodwill gesture at the start would likely have resulted in a much better impression from the OP.

Soldato
Agree with and think the same as the post above.

'Goodwill gesture', I honestly can't stand that saying (in business generally), it's like they're doing you some sort of favour or something that they don't have to (which they should do, such as replace damaged goods). For me, i'd not except anything of 'goodwill' and have them replace the door. If they damaged it on installation, or it was bought by them like that, tough really. Companies wouldn't except damaged returns back, so you should not except damaged goods.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom