Spec me an ID Card please

Soldato
Well this has been very entertaining; stroppiness, determination, threats of abandonment only to return angrier than ever. And at the end of it all, reason, the right choice, and resolution. Beautiful stuff.

This is what GD was built for.

Man of Honour
OP
Well this has been very entertaining; stroppiness, determination, threats of abandonment only to return angrier than ever. And at the end of it all, reason, the right choice, and resolution. Beautiful stuff.

This is what GD was built for.

I still don't like it but I'm willing to bend over.
The thing is since 1975 I've never been asked for my driving license and now I've got to carry it around with me everywhere.

Man of Honour
I still don't like it but I'm willing to bend over.
The thing is since 1975 I've never been asked for my driving license and now I've got to carry it around with me everywhere.

I don’t think that you HAVE to carry it at all times, I do, but I’ve never been asked for it in U.K. since I got the photo one.
My wife was stopped for speeding in Arkansas once, but she’d left her licence in our rented apartment in Memphis TN
She had her passport with her, and I showed the cop my driving licence so he could see that we had a shared surname.
He said, “Are you named on the car rental agreement?”, when I said “yes”, he said, “Do me and Arkansas a favour bud, you take over, your wife’s a nice lady, but she’s in too much of a hurry.”
And that was it, apart from the obligatory, “You folks have a nice day now, ya hear?”
I’ve had the occasional tug by traffic cops in U.K. when I was younger, but you were allowed X days to produce it.

Soldato
You have to carry it around if you intend to use it for ID for collecting parcels (which is where this thread started).

You don't need to carry it for any other reason.

I don't carry mine anymore because losing a wallet full of bank cards AND photo ID would potentially be a bad thing to happen.

Soldato
Whatever happened to ID cards that labour were bringing in. Pretty much every country in Europe has them, but the UK.

Driving licence is not an official form of ID, or at least it didn't used to be, so that only leaves a passport.

Soldato
The entire effort failed (expensively).

Not having to carry, or generally need, official ID (apart from when we've been at war) is one of the better things about the UK.

Soldato
Make an ID card yourself. No one even looks that closely at them.

As long as it has real details who is going to question it? There is no widely used official ID card in the UK.

Last edited:
Soldato
One thing is the PASS logo. If it isn't a Passport or a Driving License and it doesn't have a PASS hologram on it, there's a very good chance it gets rejected. As people have said, a lot of people checking will be very picky. Why wouldn't they be, in some circumstances it's not worth the risk not to be.

It's more of a 'you need to prove to me who you are' rather than 'you need to prove this ID isn't real'.

Man of Honour
The entire effort failed (expensively).

Not having to carry, or generally need, official ID (apart from when we've been at war) is one of the better things about the UK.

I fail to see the angst here about I.D. cards, what’s the big deal? It wouldn’t bother me.
All my French relatives have them, always have, my elder son who lives in Germany has one, as does every German.
My younger son had a Venezuelan girlfriend in his twenties, and they were mulling over moving to Madrid, and getting married, he was informed by the Spanish Consulate, that they’d both need I.D. cards to live permanently in Spain, he just shrugged.

Make an ID card yourself. No one even looks that closely at them.

As long as it has real details who is going to question it? There is no widely used official ID card in the UK.

Good luck with that if asked for I.D. at an airport.

Back
Top Bottom