• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
The pricing on Zen 2 and mobo's is a bit disappointing if I am honest. If there are decent cheap mobo's I may go for it. I want to upgrade, but knowing I won't see much of a benefit over what I got already is put me off. Will likely wait a few months after release and see what's what then.
Yep, they just taking advantage of Intel not having anything to show.. Thought they would price the CPUs a little lower tbh, and board prices are a bit stupid as well considering.

Wonder how things will look when Intel get a decent chip out from now to 2 years or so on 10nm/7nm

GAC

GAC

Soldato
again with the cpu pricing, how is HALF the cost of intels equivalent cpu being looked at as too much ?????

the mobos cost more because of pcie 4 and the extra work thats gone in to them, yes its annoying but such is new tech, maybe if pcie 4 was older it would be less of a impact but as its not the new adopter tax is in full effect. god only knows what intel would have charged if it was the other way around. you'd have even higher cpu prices and probably higher motherboard prices.

Associate
If the TDP of both 2000 series and 3000 series are the same 65W / 95W / 105W why is there suddenly a requirement for a power delivery hike in terms of VRMs when in theory they shouldn't need any more power especially with the die shrink?
Because TDP has nothing to do with electrical power/current/voltage.

See this reddit post for explanation of what TDP is for AMD purposes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6svy1a/tdp_vs_tdp/

I wish they'd never even mention TDP because it seems like it causes more confusion than anything else.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ye lets not bother to complain if Nvidia decide to up prices or double them once again in 3 years or so, maybe we'll all be buying 4080 Ti's for £2,000 each then and no problem right? :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, it's fine for Intel to do this for close to 10 years and you'll make sure you come lubed and ready?

The chips are completely reasonable. Want EXACTLY/a slightly faster 9900k? (Disclaimer - yes, we don't know exact performance, in everything yet. Reasonable assumptions made).

Ok.

3700X £260 (probably equal)
3800X £310 (probably faster)

Vs £453 on the cheapest 9900K currently available (pricespy).

Now... take into account that Intel will now start binning the 9900k's in "regular" (read, poor) 9900k's and 9900KS chips that'll do all core 5ghz and be in the £600 range.

At what point does your narrative start to sound rather flat?

Shall we add boards?
Ok.

All singing/dancing X570, sure. £350+
All singing/dancing Z390, sure. £250+ (this seems fair, give me a moment).

Cheap X570, sure. £150
Cheap Z390, sure. £100

Older X470/B450. £80

So... this brings total costs to:
9900K + board = £553-£703
3700X + board = £410-£610
3800X + board = £460-£660

So... even with the boards (in both cases, yes, I've ignored the silly Asus flagship outlier) included. You get either same performance ~£100 cheaper or more performance, still ~£50 cheaper.

I've not included the older board option in the price ranges (only based on AS/D and Cheap) as it further reduces price on AMD and drops the lower end of the AMD ranges by about £70. As I omitted silly high end options, I balanced it by removing genuine AMD low end options. We can probably agree that most folks would prefer even a poverty level X570 over older gen boards.

What's the issue? Like, seriously, how do you spin that as AMD being unreasonable?

Last edited:
Soldato
Wonder how things will look when Intel get a decent chip out from now to 2 years or so on 10nm/7nm

Look at it this way, Intel will be 2 years behind bringing out what will by then be old tech (Zen 3 will be released by then ). Almost certainly Intel will still be charging an arm and a kidney for that old tech, plus of course they will will need the the other kidney in exchange for a mobo to run, what will still be old tech.

Man of Honour
3700X £260
3800X £310

hopeful thinking on those prices.
but you've neglected to add VAT onto the US MSRP
and as we all are aware...
USD = GBP 1:1 when talking about computer components
so 3700x is likely to cost £329 and the 3800 is likely to cost £399 before etailer gouging

GAC

GAC

Soldato
What's the issue? Like, seriously, how do you spin that as AMD being unreasonable?

and for many of us we get to go from first gen to 3rd gen and shock horror the same motherboard! damn them amd people and sticking to their promises of socket support over multiple cpu generations.

and yeah god only knows what intel will be charging for their next desktop part but you can bet it wont be undercutting amd, even if its not faster.

Soldato
hopeful thinking on those prices.
but you've neglected to add VAT onto the US MSRP
and as we all are aware...
USD = GBP 1:1 when talking about computer components
so 3700x is likely to cost £329 and the 3800 is likely to cost £399 before etailer gouging

Ok... so £50 cheaper for same or £50 more for more. I still don't see where the "OMG AMD are being terrible!" argument can come from.

it is, but it doesn't seem to give the boost that amd is claiming?
which leads me to suspect that there's something unreleased?
unless i'm just reading into it too much. lol.
Two aspects to the update; scheduler and the power-up thing. I think both require the BIOS update as well. Pretty sure it isn't 3000 specific.

Edit: scratch that. Just read further posts and it looks like i was wrong.

Soldato
The power up things is 3000 only, isn't it?
I'm on 1903, it's totally fixed a bunch of games being buggy/crashy piles of crap (pubg mostly).

I'm still on a... pretty old (March time) BIOS for what it's worth.

Soldato
Ye lets not bother to complain if Nvidia decide to up prices or double them once again in 3 years or so, maybe we'll all be buying 4080 Ti's for £2,000 each then and no problem right? :rolleyes:

I'd think that some level of complaint is warranted, but also at the same time needs to be relative to the increases being seem in order to allow entry to the platform in question. I find it difficult to understand when boards are going to be available from ~£150, for an X-series board, hardly much more than the previous X-series (470) boards started at. Yes there is milking at the higher end, but a lot of people don't actually have a clue what they are paying for, much like those who buy an Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 TI, over a Palit for almost £700 less, margin of error or a few percent gain at most.

If the cheapest board you could buy was £300, then fair enough it makes it look ridiculous, but they are not, and even the like for like with a Z390 board puts them around 15% more expensive. If you want to check that then £295 for a ROG Maximus Hero XI vs. £340 for a ROG Crosshair VIII Hero.

People should complain, but use actual numbers instead of 'OMG they are STUOOPIDDD prices'.!

Soldato
"But @Journey, if there's a gold dipped £2000 board, it totally is the only option and must be used as a reasonable argument rather than a clearly retarded outlier for the try hards." :rolleyes:

and this said... all power to those who WANT to go nuts. It's an option, options are nice. Framing extreme options as the only choice - retarded.

Caporegime
It's totally the point.
You can't present a spread of options as a negative.

Having no choice during upgrade AND expensive upgrades: Negative.
Having a choice during expensive upgrades at even more expensive upgrades: Positive.

Choice has nothing to do with if the chips are limited by older chipsets...

Why buy a £500 cpu if it’s going to be gimped...on your older mobo regardless of wether “it will work” :p

Soldato
Wasn’t one of the arguments for AMD was keeping your old motherboard....AM4 is not a dead socket etc...now your all running out buying new Mobo’s at Intel pricing ! :p

I think a lot of the complaints are coming from those that are still on 2500K's etc. I'm not sure why so many X370 and X470 users are considering changing anything, I know that all but one of the systems I use will be likely running some form of AM4 CPU, but none of them that already have an AM4 board will be getting changed.

People sometimes just like to make noise, I am including you in this too. :p :D

Back
Top Bottom