• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Daughter has decided she wants a computer... So might... might be a reason to actually upgrade. Might mean I need to go with a CPU, memory, board first and a cheapy GPU then later upgrade the GPU. So now I am kinda forced into the 5xx/4xx board decision earlier than I wanted. I know I will be stuck with the board for a while as well. Prob also mean that I won't be able to get a 12 core as soon as I wanted. Might mean I can only go with 3800x. Lots of "mights" lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

I find it very strange that X570 boards dont support 1st gen RyZen, surely the bios chip is big enough to add those CPU's to the microcode list, They're not that different from 2nd gen.

Soldato

All this information/lack of information on so many fronts is telling me to sit tight and see what happens over the next few months. The opposite of what I actually want to do! :D

Soldato
pretty sure it's down to space in the bios.

When 1200 do {
code
for
}
When 1300 do {
code
for
}
all the way through to
When 3900X do {
code
for
3900X
}

they maybe don't need much but the basic configuration/clock speeds/etc the board should adopt all have to be set.
A lot of the... more budget boards have smaller bios chips so there simply isn't space to hold the config for every chip.

It's more or less assumed that folks are more likely to be pairing similar generations with boards/CPU's so the high end boards aren't getting the code to run the very low end CPU's.

Soldato
To many pages...

Apologies again if this been posted up

https://wccftech.com/amd-x590-chipset-ryzen-3000-cpus-spotted/

X490 was meant to have been a go ... Surprisingly VRMs bar ultra high end x570 were meant to match x570 to combat /compliment z390 .

There was a trend spotted with x399 - users buying 8 core thread ripper to run GPU rendering rigs with 3/4 GPUs as was cheaper then intel and x470/z370 wouldn't match this . But x399 were still costly

Soldato
To many pages...

Apologies again if this been posted up

https://wccftech.com/amd-x590-chipset-ryzen-3000-cpus-spotted/

X490 was meant to have been a go ... Surprisingly VRMs bar ultra high end x570 were meant to match x570 to combat /compliment z390 .

There was a trend spotted with x399 - users buying 8 core thread ripper to run GPU rendering rigs with 3/4 GPUs as was cheaper then intel and x470/z370 wouldn't match this . But x399 were still costly

Trying not to be a bore, or being funny. But can you please post that in understandable english ?

Soldato
The ryzen 3950x overclocking world record has been set yesterday.

It stands at 5.2ghz all core, achieved with LN2 - Voltage around 1.7v

Sort of confirms that 5ghz on water will not be possible.

I’m gong to guess that the average high end user is going to get between 4.5 and 4.7ghz all core using water or air

Last edited:
Permabanned
Will all review websites change their configurations to X570 and Ryzen 3000 because of the PCIe 4.0?
No longer reviews with heavily OCed 8700K or 9900K, yes?

Soldato
Will all review websites change their configurations to X570 and Ryzen 3000 because of the PCIe 4.0?
No longer reviews with heavily OCed 8700K or 9900K, yes?

You mean graphics card reviews?

They should be using whichever cpu is the fastest at games so reduce any bottleneck on the gpu

Until we see evidence of the contrary, common knowledge tells us that in 2019 pcie4 should have no performance difference from pcie3 on any graphics cards. The main beneficiary is the SSD

Soldato
The ryzen 3950x overclocking world record has been set yesterday.

It stands at 5.2ghz all core, achieved with LN2 - Voltage around 1.7v

Sort of confirms that 5ghz on water will not be possible.

I’m gong to guess 4.7ghz requires a loop and 4.5ghz could maybe be done with an air cooler

I'd say air will stuggle at that, and you'd need a decent loop.

The 3800X with 105W TDP is 3.9Ghz base clock with potential for 1-2 cores at 4.5Ghz. There will be some silicone binning, but at best if you double the cores to a 3950X I'd say you'll need to dissipate ~ 200W at 4.0 - 4.1Ghz and that's where air starts to run out of headroom unless you add a couple of delta's. I'd even speculate the limit on water will be ~4.5Ghz, perhaps a little more if we get blocks that feed the water in the right place. Current blocks assume a central core.

My plan is to go full water and then keep the CPU nice and cool so PBO can do it's thing on a 3900X. I think in most general applications a few cores at high turbo + some cores with lower boost will be decent enough and I'm not sure I need an extra few %.

3950X will be great for encoding etc, even at 3.5Ghz base it's like having a 7Ghz 3800X but frequency is a killer, closer to 5Ghz we get, the more power we need and the better cooling hence these crazy VRM's that have been spec'd for the X570 platform.

Soldato
No, I mean all reviews - processors, videocards, solid state drives, power supplies, everything out there.
Otherwise, their reviews will be hugely outdated and not representative of the real world performance.

Ok well to our knowledge only a pcie4 SSD is able to take advantage of the pcie4 extra bandwidth. Other devices are nowhere near the the bandwidth bottleneck.

You can think of it like this: someone releases a motherboard that supports up to 32 core cpus. But only 16 cores exist and you’re asking if reviewers are moving to the 32 core motherboard because you maybe think it makes the 16 core cpu faster. It does not, increasing your bandwidth limit only makes a difference when your devices are at that limit.

Another example: you have a car that can only go 100kmph, and now you upgrade the road to support up to 200kmph but no one is able to build a car engine that can go more than 100kmph - this is exactly what pcie4 means for graphics cards

In summary, there is no difference generally and it will be possibly years before your idea that pcie3 is outdated actually becomes reality

Last edited:
Associate
pretty sure it's down to space in the bios.

When 1200 do {
code
for
}
When 1300 do {
code
for
}
all the way through to
When 3900X do {
code
for
3900X
}

they maybe don't need much but the basic configuration/clock speeds/etc the board should adopt all have to be set.
A lot of the... more budget boards have smaller bios chips so there simply isn't space to hold the config for every chip.

It's more or less assumed that folks are more likely to be pairing similar generations with boards/CPU's so the high end boards aren't getting the code to run the very low end CPU's.
If this is the case how do first gen boards fit in the info for the third gen cpus?

Back
Top Bottom