• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Connecting a dual link DVI monitor to Radeon or Nvidia GPU

Soldato
As per the title I understand AMD may need an active adapter but Nvidia not? Also would you go DP to DVI or HDMI to DVI.

The monitor is 2560x1440 60Hz but will go to 75 Hz. No intention of changing it yet, all the cash is going on a new mobo, CPU and GPU.

Soldato
OP
No way to say without specific cards in mind. If I wanted to connect a dual link DVI monitor to my AMD card (RX 580) I'd use the DVI output.

Will either be X5700XT or 2080 depending on what happens with prices/new releases. My question is because none of these newer cards use DVI .

Soldato
HDMI to DVI with a passive cable is going to be single link. They made HDMI support higher resolutions/faster refresh rates by making it faster not wider. This means that there’s nowhere for the extra pins on a dual link DVI cable to connect to.

I believe (happy to be wrong) that you’ll need an active adapter to get dual link DVI from DP or HDMI. I can’t see why this wouldn’t be true of both AMD and Nvidea cards.

Soldato
OP
HDMI to DVI with a passive cable is going to be single link. They made HDMI support higher resolutions/faster refresh rates by making it faster not wider. This means that there’s nowhere for the extra pins on a dual link DVI cable to connect to.

I believe (happy to be wrong) that you’ll need an active adapter to get dual link DVI from DP or HDMI. I can’t see why this wouldn’t be true of both AMD and Nvidea cards.

I thought like you, after speaking to OCUK CS things seem less clear. I think we're right and I'll need to find a decent active adapter whichever card I buy.

Man of Honour
I have a Dell 3007 which only has a dual link DVI input. I also have a Powercolour Vega 64 which has HDMI and a Displayport output.

I use an active DP to dual link DVI adapter to connect them.

Back
Top Bottom