• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
Navi is not a bad GPU just badly priced. They're pricing the same as the competion even though they're not offered the same features (regardless if you will never use them).

I think most will agree that RTG needs totally gutting and starting again!
Sadly this is correct.
Aiming at nvidias price was silly, as they will answer this by dropping prices on the 2xxx series oferring better price + features and then a new stack of super cards that will out perform the 5700.

Soldato
1440p Extreme with RTX on >50 fps... is unplayable? I guess you can sign me right up (and whomever still makes up AMD's pitiful marketshare).

In the Tundra area which is the same as the one from the benchmark of the game, in the area of it where I'm now, if put on a similar number of pixels on screen with that guy (dif res, 3840x960, but shouldn't matter), the fps goes under 30 on a rtx2080. Even with RTX on high and it's still really bad ~ 30fps +/-. I can't get 60 fps on that resolution until medium settings, high rtx, gpu physix on, no hair thingy, no tesselation and shading rate lower, so bye-bye sharpens. Thx, but no thx.

I've looked a few times at the benchmark of Shadow of the Tomb Raider and I think maybe I've seen some difference in a place or two with RTX on vs off, but not much to care or want.

Frankly, if I would have not played with the RTX "holly grail" I would probably felt a little bad for not having it, but at this point it's more of a serious meh. The difference in most cases is subtle and performance terrible. In all games with a fix time of day or lighting setup, you can use baked stuff with similar if not same results, while maintaining a high performance.

PS: Heretic looks great without RTX, The Book of the Dead as well, just as a quick couple of examples of life without RTX. And for sure better than Quake RTX(ed)!

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
Soldato
So just to get this right.
The new features.

Antilag: DirectX 11 works on any AMD GPU DX9 only on Navi and doesn't work at all in DirectX 12

Radeon image sharpening (RIS) is Navi only but DirectX 9 and Direct 12 only, not DX11

Fidelity FX can work on any GPU. I assume any AMD GPU.

Well that's a great set of features isn't it.

Again, no.

RIS = Reshade
FidelityFX = Nvidia too

Only anti-lag is the big Q mark, depending on what it actually is.

Caporegime
Yup, til then it's just the fanboys who will be buying! There will a bit of a shortage after the initial small run of cards (due to said fanboys) then in a month or so plentiful stock and slow sales (til they fix their pricing).

Soldato
u57m48ur5f431.png

Soldato
Sadly this is correct.
Aiming at nvidias price was silly, as they will answer this by dropping prices on the 2xxx series oferring better price + features and then a new stack of super cards that will out perform the 5700.

But will they? The 1060 6GB for example, whilst much slowly the 580 and more expensive did not see price cuts to make it cheaper. (At least not that I observed). I think there is much work for AMD to do for people to realize that there is an alternative that is faster.

Soldato
Yup. There is only a badly priced product.

How? In USA 5700XT is $100 cheaper than the cheapest 2070 (pay a visit at the Nvidia shop pulling street prices from retailers), with the majority over $600. (Jay2Cents, of all people on 2 videos said 5700XT is $100 cheaper than the 2070 and is faster).

We do not know the 5700XT UK pricing, yet everyone assumes, that $449 USA MSRP will be translated to £450. Though 2070 $550 translates to £450 at the moment. :rolleyes:

Hence if Nvidia "2070 Super" rumour is correct for dropping the price by $100, that will bring it in line at the same price as the 5700X in the USA market.

Associate
How? In USA 5700XT is $100 cheaper than the cheapest 2070 (pay a visit at the Nvidia shop pulling street prices from retailers), with the majority over $600. (Jay2Cents, of all people on 2 videos said 5700XT is $100 cheaper than the 2070 and is faster).

We do not know the 5700XT UK pricing, yet everyone assumes, that $449 USA MSRP will be translated to £450. Though 2070 $550 translates to £450 at the moment. :rolleyes:

Hence if Nvidia "2070 Super" rumour is correct for dropping the price by $100, that will bring it in line at the same price as the 5700X in the USA market.

Can get a 2070 for under $500 on newegg. Cheapest I’ve seen here is around 470-480. Given most items tend to go for $to£ 1:1 it will be around that price for pre orders at least I suspect. The rx590 is 220 on new egg and around the same price here for the equivalent card.

Soldato

To be fair the Nvidia prices have been nuts ever since the 20 series launched... So general pricing parity with something that is also overpriced doesn't make something good value all of a sudden.

Perhaps we just have to adjust to the new normal, but if a decidedly middle of the road GPU is 350-380 bucks in this new reality then more people will be driven to consoles and the next gen are really going to dominate when they launch.

I think a lot of people had just hoped that the competition would bring the GPU market back to something a little closer to how it was a few years ago. Maybe it still will given a bit of time, who knows... Navi hasn't even actually launched yet. Will be interesting to see how the market looks a year from now.

Back
Top Bottom